Parisyan KO/TKO 0% (0)
Alves KO/TKO 29% (15)
Parisyan SUB 4% (2)
Alves SUB 0% (0)
Parisyan DEC 61% (31)
Alves SUB 6% (3)
seanfu
3/9/08 6:21:53PM
I don't understand why Alves is the underdog against Parisyan. I see the styles matching up much better for the pitbull.

I think 2 or 3 years ago Parisyan was a top guy but now I think he's overrated. I see him losing against a good wrestler and fearless brawler.

What does everyone else see here? I want to know if I'm the only one that has this oppinion because i think it should be AT LEAST even.
ps- the second Alves SUB- (is Alves DEC)
CantAndleDaRiddum
3/9/08 6:46:00PM
i say parisyan decision, i have no reason to think otherwise
JimiMak
3/9/08 6:58:05PM

Posted by CantAndleDaRiddum

i say parisyan decision, i have no reason to think otherwise

+1

The Pitbull will pose a big threat, but I think Karo will pull out the dominating dec he's known for.
Rush
3/9/08 7:07:28PM
He's an underdog because most fans are not familiar with him. I think all of his fights save one were on the undercard. That plays a big factor.

Look at Lesnar. People knew who he was and that is why the picks were roughly 50:50. If you took some random fighter that had a 1-0 record with similar wrestling credentials as Lesnar (let's call him Joe Wrestler), I bet 98% of the people would have picked Mir because they didn't know the other guy.
candynuts
3/9/08 7:12:17PM
I think Karo will catch Thiago's leg kicks and take him down from there.

Karo by Decisyan.
juanez13
3/9/08 7:13:33PM

Posted by Rush

He's an underdog because most fans are not familiar with him. I think all of his fights save one were on the undercard. That plays a big factor.

Look at Lesnar. People knew who he was and that is why the picks were roughly 50:50. If you took some random fighter that had a 1-0 record with similar wrestling credentials as Lesnar (let's call him Joe Wrestler), I bet 98% of the people would have picked Mir because they didn't know the other guy.

agreed. Gotta spread the Love though
Rush
3/9/08 7:15:12PM

Posted by juanez13

agreed. Gotta spread the Love though

No worries.
MALICE
3/9/08 7:24:40PM

Posted by Rush

Must spread the love.

Karo by UD
BlazinSaddle
3/9/08 7:27:50PM
i really want to pick alves and see him win, theres so much i dont like about karo but i think karo wins unfortunatly and would not hate my choice if i lost this pick
Mastodon2
3/9/08 7:30:14PM
I predict a Parisyan win. Not an exciting win, as most of his fights in the UFC have gone to a decision, and I don't see this one being any different. Alves has tenacity, but Parisyan is like Velcro, he will just grapple him against the cage, roll him allover the mat and win a comfortable points victory. I won't be flying out of my seat mind.
gartface
3/9/08 7:34:19PM
I'm the 1 person who picked Karo by sub. Kimura/Armbar 2nd round.
JBatch
3/9/08 7:44:08PM
Alves by KO or TKO in the second round. Alves is going to punish him with leg kicks and then land a stunner to the kidney followed by a vicious flurry that will put Karo to sleep and end his reign of boring victories, forcing him into becomming the 170 gatekeeper.
Pookie
3/9/08 8:24:10PM
A close fight IMO,
Im betting on alves and picking Parisyan. Picking parisyan because if he does win, ill get 11 points because he wins by decision.
Alves i do think will win actually, but its sort of 50/50 and he could win in many different ways (r.1tko, r.2 tko, r.3 tko, UD)
Safer to pick parisyan, and i have damage control on the fight
NatedawgThaM
3/9/08 8:46:35PM

Posted by candynuts

I think Karo will catch Thiago's leg kicks and take him down from there.

Karo by Decisyan.

Karo trains with Randy who might be a baby outside the UFC but as a trainer he's one of the best in the world. They'll be ready for the kicks so I see Karo checking them and catching them or clinching and throwing him on his back for 3 rounds.

Leg kicks are the key though, If Karo does not check them I'll be pissed because that's the best way to beat a grappler, take away there leg power and then Alves could possibly KO him. Karo is the safer pick though, and I got unanimous decision.
gartface
3/9/08 11:31:36PM

Posted by JBatch

Alves by KO or TKO in the second round. Alves is going to punish him with leg kicks and then land a stunner to the kidney followed by a vicious flurry that will put Karo to sleep and end his reign of boring victories, forcing him into becomming the 170 gatekeeper.

Still don't understand how an up and coming 25 years old can become a gate keeper?
Pitbull09
3/9/08 11:39:01PM
Seriously, I think Alves is underestimated but Karo still should be favored.

What I want to see is Alves defend takedowns and beat the crap out of Karo but what prob will happen is a Karo decision = boring fight with little effort from Karo.

Lol its amazing how i managed to make my name cause I liked AA so much but then Alves came along and I became a huge fan of him too.
JBatch
3/10/08 2:12:12AM

Posted by gartface

Posted by JBatch

Still don't understand how an up and coming 25 years old can become a gate keeper?

Well in tons of peoples opinions Chris Leben had become a gatekeeper by the age of 25. Parisyan cannot hang with the top 4 of the division and for that reason he will be the gatekeeper. Problem is they may not keep him like they do Leben because he has a boring style and Lebens all or nothing style puts people in the seats.
gartface
3/10/08 5:22:47AM

Posted by JBatch

Posted by gartface

Posted by JBatch

Well in tons of peoples opinions Chris Leben had become a gatekeeper by the age of 25. Parisyan cannot hang with the top 4 of the division and for that reason he will be the gatekeeper. Problem is they may not keep him like they do Leben because he has a boring style and Lebens all or nothing style puts people in the seats.

Because the average UFC fan knows nothing about MMA other than boxing. And is bored by any fight that goes to a decision, no matter how fast paced it is.

Edit: He can't hang with the top 4? He beat the real champ, and took the interim champ to decision.
Pookie
3/10/08 5:38:16AM
when the fight ends is not indicative of skill, but rather the style match-up itself.
whardin19
3/10/08 7:01:22AM
I'm also saying Parisyan by decision. Not sure Alves has what it takes. Lytle should have beat Alves but the fight was stopped because of a cut. He's not going to get so lucky with Parisyan.
JBatch
3/10/08 9:16:30AM

Posted by gartface

Posted by JBatch

Posted by gartface

Posted by JBatch

Because the average UFC fan knows nothing about MMA other than boxing. And is bored by any fight that goes to a decision, no matter how fast paced it is.

Edit: He can't hang with the top 4? He beat the real champ, and took the interim champ to decision.

LOL did you just call Serra the real champ. ROFL. Serra is not a champion and will never have a title defense. He los to Diego, he would lose to Kos and Fitch and has already lost to GSP, so yes he would lose to the top 4 IMO. Don't get me wrong the guy has some sick throws and incredible power in the clinch but he's got a terribly boring ground game and awkward standup.
CactusBob
3/10/08 11:00:41AM
Anyone else think conditioning is a factor here? I bet Karo eats some shots but eventually grounds Alves, but in the second he gets tired and Alves lets him have it. Not that Alves is a cardio-beast, but I bet he will perform better as the fight progresses. Karo's throws (which he won't use enough, as is his tendency) will get sloppy, and he won't be able to take it to the ground after late in the second, unless I am overestimating Alves's takedown. We'll find out soon enough...
disorderlyvision
3/10/08 12:20:28PM

Posted by JBatch

Posted by gartface

LOL did you just call Serra the real champ. ROFL. Serra is not a champion and will never have a title defense. He los to Diego, he would lose to Kos and Fitch and has already lost to GSP, so yes he would lose to the top 4 IMO. Don't get me wrong the guy has some sick throws and incredible power in the clinch but he's got a terribly boring ground game and awkward standup.

Umm, you do know serra has the belt, regardless of whether you think he deserves it or not he is the Real champ. he beat gsp fair and square.
mrliquid
3/10/08 6:00:43PM
I hope I see a KO or Sub from Karo but I think he will end up winning by decision not taking anything away from Alves but I think Karo will simply outskill Alves he has alot more experience and never seems to buckle under pressure or big name fights.Either way very excited to see it can't wait.

hippysmacker
3/10/08 6:59:58PM

Posted by JBatch

Posted by gartface

Posted by JBatch

Posted by gartface

Posted by JBatch

Like disordlyvision said, Serra is the real champ. Do I think he will win the rematch ? NO, but he dominated GSP in the first fight. Did it shock most of us ? Yes. I could have seen him getting caught like anyone else, but Serra rocked him, followed it up , knocked him down, avoided the ground , rocked him again, stood in his guard, and pummeled him. So why i am a huge GSP fan, and don't like Serra , Matt is still the real champ right now. Anyway, back to the topic at hand. KAro is in no way a gatekeeper to me. What I see him as is a guy in title contention, and if you can beat him you are also in title contention. So a possible title contention gate keeper, maybe. Still, if he wins I think he gets the next shot after Fitch.He has 2 losses to Sherk when he was 18 I beleive, 1 to GSP that was hard fought , and a razor thin loss to Sanchez. He has victory over Serra. Lyltle. DIaz, Chonan and Burkman who are all considered top 20. I would like to see him finish and beat another current top 10 guy before he gets a shot, but I can also see both sides of this argument making sense . If he fought Davis ( if he wins his next fight) , or Kos it would make more some sense IMO. Still, I think becuase he had a title shot taken away becuase of injury he is a special case. I think only Diaz was top ten at the time he beat them, and so I can see why some would think him unworthy currently . Why some may think Alves is currently top 10 , I don't. He beat Davis 5 years ago, when he was basically a boxer with a little wrestling. He lost to a smaller Fisher(, top 20 at 170 a the time maybe) , lost to Fitch( probably top 10 at the time) , and beat Lytle( who I think is the real 170 gatekeeper) by cut. So why I consider this fight a small step up Karo from top 20's - Burkman/ Chonan - it's still not a #1 contender match IMO. The thing that hurts Karo for me , is his inability to finish top guys. He's tough, getting more well rounded, has a great chin, always brings it, and is always exciting to me. However, if he impressively finishes Alves that would go a long way toward mitigating the criticism directed toward him. I will take Karo by decision right now though.
Rush
3/10/08 9:36:25PM

Posted by hippysmacker

The thing that hurts Karo for me , is his inability to finish top guys. He's tough, getting more well rounded, has a great chin, always brings it, and is always exciting to me. However, if he impressively finishes Alves that would go a long way toward mitigating the criticism directed toward him. I will take Karo by decision right now though.

Karo only finished one guy (Dave Strasser) since he started in the UFC. I think he has a problem finishing fighters in general, not just top guys. Mind you, he hasn't been finished, so take it for what it is.
hippysmacker
3/10/08 9:47:48PM
No disrepect , but I thought he at least finished the goat too.
bls1919
3/10/08 11:26:29PM
heres how it goes all fight. Alves fights hard and fast , overcommiting and gettin caught in a judo throw or a takedown. Karo hits top and it looks good but is exciting and fast on the ground. Nothing else..karo by UD
mrliquid
3/11/08 12:37:31AM

Posted by hippysmacker

No disrepect , but I thought he at least finished the goat too.

UFC-59 Reality Check won by SUB
Jipper
3/12/08 4:33:52AM

Posted by Rush

IMO he's the underdog because he's not as proven as Karo.

Alves major wins have been against Lytle (via cut), Alessio and Hironaka while losing to Jon Fitch (understandable) and LW Spencer Fisher.

Karo via decision or whatever holds wins over champion Serra, Burkman, Fickett, Diaz and Lytle (legitimately) while only losing to GSP (understandable) champion Sherk twice years ago, and Diego Sanchez who if he hadn't lost to Kos while injured and looking horrible would be there right with Jon Fitch as undeafeated contenders before their fight.

Karo has bigger name wins and loses.