Alves VS Davis 2

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Alves VS Davis 2
WhiteWidow
4/3/08 1:32:23AM
regardless if marcus beats swick or not i think they should make this happen and if davis wins make it for the #1 contender spot after fitch gets his shot at the winner of serra / gsp

both of these guys have improved very much since there first appearence and would be interesting to see again, i would probably have to go with alves by UD or TKO, would not be shocked if davis could pull off a sub or UD tho
babytater03
4/3/08 8:30:00AM
Marcus would give him hell if they were to fight like in August or something. He's got so much momentum from W's and he's just developed into a very confident guy. I would love to watch any fight with Marcus in it.

HOWEVER, once outside of Fitch (now that Karo has a L) i dont think that you could consider one fight for #1 contender. Who knows maybe i'm wrong, it's happened once or twice before.
Pookie
4/3/08 2:59:06PM
i usually pick the Muay Thai practitioner over the boxer when the two styles fight.
This fight is no different
NatedawgThaM
4/3/08 3:49:43PM
This would be another exciting fight but there's no way this would be a #1 contenders match just because in Davis's impressive winning streak, he still has yet to beat a top 10 and Alves was Karo's first top ten win too after getting school'd by Spencer Fisher and Jon Fitch. They are still behind Kos and IMO Diego who's only two losses were against Fitch, the #1 contender, and Kos while he was drained from Staph.

It would definitely bring them a step closer though and I'd take Alves by decision or late stoppage with those nasty strikes.
WhiteWidow
4/3/08 5:31:53PM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

This would be another exciting fight but there's no way this would be a #1 contenders match just because in Davis's impressive winning streak, he still has yet to beat a top 10 and Alves was Karo's first top ten win too after getting school'd by Spencer Fisher and Jon Fitch. They are still behind Kos and IMO Diego who's only two losses were against Fitch, the #1 contender, and Kos while he was drained from Staph.

It would definitely bring them a step closer though and I'd take Alves by decision or late stoppage with those nasty strikes.

i see your point about davis not fighting any top 10's yet and not being a top 10 himself so i agree, if thiago were to win he would be #1 contender and if davis won he'd won up into the top 10 or 5
jiujitsufreak74
4/4/08 5:12:11AM
I have a breakdown of this fight that i made a while back. it is a little biased but it is still pretty good imo:

Alves vs Davis

Thiago Alves is a warrior with the heart of a champion. He has a complete well-rounded MMA game with vicious stand up and well versed BJJ. His muay thai has really shown us how dangerous he can be, especially through his fights with Tony DeSouza and Chris Lytle. Alves has nasty leg kicks, some of the best i have ever seen implemented in MMA, and he knows how to trade as exemplified in the Lytle fight with powerful hands as well. he is a black belt in BJJ, bu tnow-a-days who isn't. he is well versed on the ground but some times gets overanxious and puts himself in bad positions like he did against Spencer Fisher finding himself in a triangle. i think that he is now more cool and collected and won't make those same mistakes anytime soon but his JJ is more of a defense instead of an offense because his forte is definitely the muay thai which he has been doing since he was 15. Davis is my favorite fighter and always puts on an exciting show as well. his MMA game is ever-evolving as he is learning how to incorporate his boxing more and more into his game while also picking up some very impressive JJ skills as of late. the former number one super middleweight in New England, Davis has really hard hands with KO power that should not be overlooked. as seen in his last fights, his kicks are getting better and his submission game is increasing at a phenomenal rate. with a beautiful ankle lock victory over Pete Spratt and that come from behind armbar victory over Paul Taylor (one of my favorite fights because it displays how versatile he truly is) it leaves me astonished at this seemingly solid JJ game that came almost out of nowhere. I think Alves has the advantage with the kicks, Davis with the hands, which ill see a close stand up battle. on the ground, i see Davis' crafty JJ having an advantage over Alves' defensive JJ and might see Davis trying submissions. However, i think these two warriors will keep it standing and by the 3rd round, Davis will land a punch worthy from a former number one super middleweight in New England and will KO Alves after an interesting and exciting stand up war. My Prediction: Davis 3rd round KO
pv3Hpv3p
4/4/08 10:46:33AM
I was just thinking that this fight should happen... Their last fight was over 5 years ago and I think they are both much different fighters, at least much more well rounded...

I could see these two fighting again at some point... But right now, it seems like Alves / Sanchez would make the most sense to me... Or maybe Koscheck...
gsquat
4/4/08 2:47:01PM
Obviously an excellent fight and it's likely to take place (based on rankings). I'd route for Davis, but I can't say that I'd pick him to win right now. Alves seems to have him matched in every aspect. Besides, anyone who can finish Karo is a beast.
coldchillin
4/4/08 4:23:21PM
I definitely think Alves should get the winner of Davis-Swick especially if Marcus Davis is the winner. Winner of that match would really move up the rankings.

If Diego is able to get by Fioravanti, then this Fall would be the perfect time for a Sanchez-Parisyan rematch. They would both need that win badly. Probably would end up being one of the best fights of the year.
WhiteWidow
4/4/08 5:34:31PM
i dont want alves to fight sanchez or koscheck, it seems people want alves to lose if they pick those opponents, they would probably just want to take it down and LnP, alves could use that newly found world class takedown defense and judo defense so who knows maybe those 2 opponents arnt a far stretch for him to beat, i'd also like to see him fight fitch again, i think he can win, in my rankings i know have alves in my 5 spot now ahead of sheilds, sanchez, sakurai, davis, and karo.