Alves...take down???

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Alves...take down???
Theoutlaw08
3/3/12 11:17:41AM
Was anyone as surprised as me when Avles hit Kampmann with some heavy blows and then goes for the takedown....
Why the hell wouldn't he just keep throwing bombs and go for a finish that way?
He lost himself the fight. He knew going in the Kampmann has solid subs. Stupid, stupid, stupid Alves.
Poor_Franklin
3/3/12 11:20:06AM
reminds me of Nog going for the sub against Mir in their second fight.
jae_1833
3/3/12 11:48:27AM
How? Nog isn't world renown for gnping guys, he is for subing guys, of course he would go with what he knows and has years of success doing. Alves is a well known Muay Thai striker with years of problems on the ground, and just when it looks like he's gotten his tdd up to par he tries to do a complete role reversal. This was completely out of character, game plan, and skillset.
Theoutlaw08
3/3/12 12:49:12PM

Posted by jae_1833

How? Nog isn't world renown for gnping guys, he is for subing guys, of course he would go with what he knows and has years of success doing. Alves is a well known Muay Thai striker with years of problems on the ground, and just when it looks like he's gotten his tdd up to par he tries to do a complete role reversal. This was completely out of character, game plan, and skillset.

I know it. I couldnt believe it! Not even a fan of his, but he got the head kick and a upper cut and the he went for a take down...I was like WHAT THE F*CK....idiot...just stand and keep dropping bombs on him. IF he didnt shoot for the take down he could probably have finished it via TKO and if not that he would have scored the decision.
george112
3/3/12 12:52:17PM

Bubbles
3/3/12 1:04:28PM
screwed my card. it went from mediocre to an abomination
FastKnockout
3/3/12 1:28:48PM
To me he deserved to lose when he went for the takedown. I can understand point fighting if you don't have what it takes to finish fights but Alves was landing powerful strikes the whole night and had him hurt. It wasn't the same Alves I was fond of just a short year or two ago. Hope he learns from this.
jae_1833
3/3/12 1:42:07PM
Exactly! Every fighter needs to train to plug up the holes in their game but stick to your bread and butter man! Especially when your ahead.
Cooler
3/3/12 2:05:44PM
It was definitely not a clutch move for Alves. He has lost a fight like that before where it was closer than that fight (Spencer Fisher) but this fight with Kampmann was ALL HIS, all he had to do was keep punching him for the last minute and hope for a finish, he was up all 3 rounds but blew it. Disappointing more that he lost than the entire card, all my favorites are losing lately, makes me kind of down on MMA recently.
kopower
3/3/12 2:20:01PM
Thought the same thing. Maybe he wanted to ride out the round on top? Not a smart move.
jjeans
3/3/12 2:51:45PM
I'm only going to name some facts here

Thiago Alves is 19-9

2-4 in recent fights with wins over Papi Abedi and John Howard

He gets paid $33,000 to show, $33,000 win bonus.

In his 17 fight UFC Career he has landed 11 takedowns and has a TD accuracy of 69%.

My own opinion:
Maybe it is slightly "uncharacteristic" of Thiago but with his recent performances and results maybe his contract needs to be reworked so he can fight as a gatekeeper?
Budgellism
3/3/12 3:23:27PM
Terrible decision on his part. The takedown made no sense. He had Kampmann backed against the cage throwing bombs at him. He was clearly winning the fight up to that point so trying to secure the round with a takedown (The only explanation I can think of) was just a poor decision. Back away if you're tired or slow down on the punches or something. He should have won that fight and it would have been a big win for him.
prozacnation1978
3/3/12 4:27:12PM
I saw 22 points disappear from my very own eyes. And killed my parlay to boot.
BlueSkiesBurn
3/3/12 5:15:23PM
I honestly just laughed and said "of course"

Seeing shit like this really helps if you believe in Schadenfreude.
sbulldavid
3/3/12 5:41:00PM

Posted by Bubbles

screwed my card. it went from mediocre to an abomination

same here 22 points gone
bjj1605
3/3/12 6:03:10PM
I lost 22 points and about $20,000 because of that mistake.
Poor_Franklin
3/4/12 3:03:05AM

Posted by bjj1605

I lost 22 points and about $20,000 because of that mistake.

me too

i was only comparing the Alves td to Nog going for the sub in that it was a mental error that quickly cost them the fight they should have won
ruyen
3/4/12 3:17:02AM
Sorry Alves blew it, but props to Kampmann, that was a sick sweep and incredibly fast sub.
Kpro
3/5/12 3:06:14PM
Alves gained me 10 points with that solid move. He put his head in the perfect place and everything. I thought it was well executed.
emfleek
3/5/12 3:08:38PM

Posted by Kpro

Alves gained me 10 points with that solid move. He put his head in the perfect place and everything. I thought it was well executed.

Same here.

Kampmann set it up perfectly!
prophecy033
3/5/12 11:03:06PM

Posted by Kpro