Alves: “I'm 171 pounds at the weight-ins, and then I go into the fight at 198"

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Alves: “I'm 171 pounds at the weight-ins, and then I go into the fight at 198"
ToeZup
11/3/08 11:42:55AM

Alves on his title shot chances.

After seven victories in a row at UFC, Thiago “Pitbull” Alves appears to finally get his chance for the welterweight belt. With the unanimous decision victory against Josh Koscheck at UFC 90, the Brazilian fighter had the confirmation he’ll get his title shot at 2009, great news after the tough fight at Chicago. “It was a tough fight, but thanks God I did the strategy we were planning and I went home with the victory”, celebrates Alves, in exclusive interview to TATAME.com, and praising his opponent.

“I knew I’d have a hard fight, but I always go for a knockout. I knew he was tough, but I didn’t knew he’d resist that much, it surprised me. He’s a great competitor and made the fight even better, more beautiful”, commented Pitbull, who liked the opponent change. “I think it was better, because he defeated (Diego) Sanchez and he’s tougher than him, a better athlete. He’s a great fighter, better ranked, and I think it was perfect”.

For Alves, the seventh victory is the last step before a title shot. “I wanna get this belt and bring it to Brazil. The said that the winner of this fight would get a title shot, and now I have the option to wait (after Georges St. Pierre’s fight with BJ Penn) or do another fight, it’s my choice, but I think I’ll wait”, said Alves, who commented the fight. ”It’s gonna be a tough fight, and I’ll be there watching it. I don’t know who’s gonna win it, but I fight both. I’ll get this belt and the next one who comes, with all respect, will fall”, guarantees the Brazilian fighter.

Fighting at the welterweight division, Alves commented the special work he does with André Benkei at the preparation for the fight. “I go with 171 pounds at the weight-ins, and then I go to the fight with 198, 199 pounds”, revealed the fighter, who doesn’t wanna think about going up to middleweight division: “I don’t think about it, no way”

gsquat
11/3/08 11:49:37AM
Yowzer! I knew he'd be a lot heavier during the fight, but not 198! What a beast. Isn't that what Filho walks around at? Alves cuts an entire weight class beyond him.
Wallass
11/3/08 12:02:02PM
He`s a friggin Machine.
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
Fearless915
11/3/08 12:03:09PM
No way he gains 30 pounds in one night, I don't think he is 199 the next day
4u2nv
11/3/08 12:18:24PM
thats hard to believe but wow! he's still amazingly strong and has a huge gas tank.
nickcuc547
11/3/08 12:20:44PM
I like that he's waiting, now we're guaranteed to see the fight. and while i respect a guy like ken flo for fighting again, waiting is also a pretty smart move.
Twenty20Dollars
11/3/08 12:25:29PM
Im sure he can put on 20 pounds after the weigh-in because of a lot fluids & food. But he better make sure to be exactly 170 when he fights for the title.
DCRage
11/3/08 2:24:14PM
I don't see how it's humanly possible to safely put on that much weight in a short time. If it were 5-10 pounds, that sounds reasonable given you're trying to drink a lot of fluids to rehydrate yourself after weigh-ins, but that sounds equally ridiculous and dangerous to me. Perhaps he should consider moving up to MW, not as big a cut and perhaps there it would be easier him to make weight. Hopefully he remembers that if he gets the title shot, there's no one-pound allowance. You get to exactly 170 or you lose the shot and probably some of your purse.
gravy13
11/3/08 2:39:25PM
This is seriously hard to believe. It seems like if that much weight is put on in that small amount of time the person would appear fat or chubby. Alves is super cut and doesn't seem to have hardly any body fat.
gsquat
11/3/08 2:55:14PM
I'd believe up to 20 lbs. 27 is a little unbelievable. Maybe he once weighed himself just before the fight and really had to take a massive dump.
Darnok
11/3/08 4:18:24PM

Posted by gsquat

I'd believe up to 20 lbs. 27 is a little unbelievable. Maybe he once weighed himself just before the fight and really had to take a massive dump.

That IS a pretty big dump.
breakdown5
11/3/08 5:32:27PM
Dude is a beast. That is a lot of extra weight to have to try to move around for the average WW.
telnights
11/3/08 6:28:02PM
There is no way he puts on that much weight in one day after a weight cut. The only way anyone can put on 27 pounds in one day is to eat lead. If he was making that big of a cut he would only be able to do so with medical help or diratics and then putting that back on in one day isn't going to happen. I have been around and wrestling most of my life and can say I have never seen or heard of anyone doing anything that close to that big of a weight cut and then gaining it back in one day.
Mungooch
11/3/08 6:49:30PM

Posted by Darnok

Posted by gsquat

Who is he Randy Marsh
higdon10
11/3/08 9:00:45PM

Posted by nickcuc547

I like that he's waiting, now we're guaranteed to see the fight. and while i respect a guy like ken flo for fighting again, waiting is also a pretty smart move.

Yeah...It could haunt Ken-Flo..Look at Keith Jardine..It looked like he had a shot in waiting..Then Houston Alexander happened..
CwB
11/3/08 9:26:56PM

Posted by Darnok

Posted by gsquat

i think its called giving birth
Aaronno9
11/3/08 9:27:43PM
Ive got a feeling hes going to actually cut some weight long before he fights GSP, just to be sure he can cut perfectly. I dont no why but ive just got a sneaky feeling hes going to blow the title shot and have to fight GSP in a non title match.
higdon10
11/3/08 9:29:09PM
I hope he doesn't blow it..
gartface
11/3/08 9:43:16PM

Posted by telnights

There is no way he puts on that much weight in one day after a weight cut. The only way anyone can put on 27 pounds in one day is to eat lead. If he was making that big of a cut he would only be able to do so with medical help or diratics and then putting that back on in one day isn't going to happen. I have been around and wrestling most of my life and can say I have never seen or heard of anyone doing anything that close to that big of a weight cut and then gaining it back in one day.

Diuretics...he got caught using them before. Not saying he's using them anymore, but this doesn't sound healthy at all. Massive weight cuts like that cannot be healthy. His body is going to start having problems because he's fluctuating too much weight in a short period of time.
Pitbull09
11/3/08 10:29:22PM
As crazy as that sounds, I believe it. I am always mistaking Alves as a MW even though he's my favorite fighter. He pretty much is doing what Sherk does at LW and its pays off a lot to stay standing
pv3Hpv3p
11/4/08 1:49:09PM

Posted by higdon10

Posted by nickcuc547

Yeah...It could haunt Ken-Flo..Look at Keith Jardine..It looked like he had a shot in waiting..Then Houston Alexander happened..

Ya or Forrest after the Jardine fight... Werdum after Santos... etc... I agree waiting, which sucks because I like to watch him fight, is the much more intelligent option for Thiago at this point
slapshot
11/4/08 4:35:03PM
I really hope they take a second look at how the weigh in process works. I think its BS, gives him a advantage and that fighters need to weigh in right before the fight.

P.S. My wife who is a hospital RN said it's hard for her to believe he could hydrate that fast w/o a IV but either way its very unhealthy and fighters could kill themselves cutting that much or at least shorten there life span significantly .
bls1919
11/4/08 5:51:10PM
Regardless of how much weight he actually regains, it doesn't seem to hurt him. He went three hard rounds with a very athletic KOS. He was on the "hunt " most of the time. He did sloww in the third but never seems to let up. Slower but constant. He is a beast and i really want to see him fight GSP.
jocka
11/4/08 6:06:18PM
The real question is how much is he loosing in the last 2-3 days before the weight in, i have no problem beliving that he walkes arround 200 lbs but take 27-28 lbs in a day wow thats just crazy.
NeaRMisS
11/4/08 7:23:22PM
Yea my g/f is a nurse, and she said he would need IV fluids as well if it was that big of a jump. I would believe 15 lbs, but nothing more. 5-10 lbs water weight is easy to beleive, maybe he retains water better then most... I think that that makes it harder to cut as well but meh. He's a beast non the less and I do enjoy watching him and thats all that matters.

I honestly am beyond happy he is waiting, I really think he could beat GSP.
MMA4EVER
11/6/08 3:52:11AM
I think he should go ahead and fight diego sanchez i mean he would destroy sanchez and send a message to gsp and bj that he is the next welterweight champion
fullerene
11/6/08 11:16:49AM
I don't believe those weights, but I think he may get to 198 between fights.

That's not something to be bragging about. A fairly muscular guy--not moreso than many MMA fighters--who is 5'11" tall doesn't have to weigh 198 pounds. What he's basically advertisiing is the fact that he doesn't train right and allows himself to put on too much weight.