Alvarez vs Hansen...WOW!!!

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Alvarez vs Hansen...WOW!!!
hathcock32
5/11/08 4:30:25PM
What a great fight ....Eddie Alvarez is a top 5 lightweight in the world IMO. He is a beast who can do it all. Hansen even admitted he was toughest fight he has ever had. He is a good boxer with very good power, his wrestling is great, his submission defense is great, just watch this fight.
boo_radley12
5/11/08 6:40:44PM
yes he seems very good at this weight, i wouldn't say he's top 5 just yet, because hes a natural WW but if he takes this tourney he'll definitely be top 5, maybe even top 3 for me
89vision
5/11/08 7:53:44PM
what i hate, is that dream is putting up the best against each other in the quarter finals, the jz vs aoki fight and hansen vs alvarez fights could easily both be the finals, now they got kawajiri and alvarez in the semis and aoki (if he wins) vs uno? why?... there giving aoki every way possible to get deeper into the tourney they can, he has a history of quitting fights and the first jz fight just made me sick to watch legal elbows get him a NC and another fight, every ref they talked to including big john said aoki pussed out from legal elbows and it should have been a (T)KO.

Kawajiri or Alvarez will win the grand prix, im leaning toward kawajiri
ICSlegend
5/11/08 9:14:43PM

Posted by 89vision

what i hate, is that dream is putting up the best against each other in the quarter finals, the jz vs aoki fight and hansen vs alvarez fights could easily both be the finals, now they got kawajiri and alvarez in the semis and aoki (if he wins) vs uno? why?... there giving aoki every way possible to get deeper into the tourney they can, he has a history of quitting fights and the first jz fight just made me sick to watch legal elbows get him a NC and another fight, every ref they talked to including big john said aoki pussed out from legal elbows and it should have been a (T)KO.

Calm down, man. Putting some of the best against each other makes for good matchups! Enjoy the fights.

And what is this history of Aoki quitting fights? Low blows are illegal (if your talking about his DQ wins). Although I guess you might not know this since your talking about Big John saying Aoki pussed out (the same Big John that didn't even deduct points and allowed Kongo to blatantly knee CC in the groin numerous times).

Elbowing the back of the head is illegal. If you watch it in slow motion, you will see 2 powerful elbows to the back of aoki's head (the first one may possibly have been to the back of the neck, hard to tell, 2nd was was definitely to the back of the head).

Aoki is just that damn good. Get used to him, he's running through eveyone.
Mchubb316
5/11/08 10:39:50PM
Don't know about top 5 yet. He showed that he belongs to be talked about, the top 10. The fight against Hansen was one of if not the best fight I have seen this year.
89vision
5/11/08 11:43:59PM

Posted by ICSlegend

Posted by 89vision

Calm down, man. Putting some of the best against each other makes for good matchups! Enjoy the fights.

And what is this history of Aoki quitting fights? Low blows are illegal (if your talking about his DQ wins). Although I guess you might not know this since your talking about Big John saying Aoki pussed out (the same Big John that didn't even deduct points and allowed Kongo to blatantly knee CC in the groin numerous times).

Elbowing the back of the head is illegal. If you watch it in slow motion, you will see 2 powerful elbows to the back of aoki's head (the first one may possibly have been to the back of the neck, hard to tell, 2nd was was definitely to the back of the head).

Aoki is just that damn good. Get used to him, he's running through eveyone.

im calm what are you talking about? is monotone possible on the internet? i guess not, anyway aoki's history of quitting fights are his DQ wins from groin shots, one of them was hardly that much of a groin shot and he didnt continue, but there are okay to an extent he should get the benefit of the doubt on those but the JZ fight was hardly illigal. do you wonder why most people are saying its legal? because they are, your just a bias fan so cant really take in to account much of what you think mostly you think it was justified when they clearly hit the upper shoulder. granted he didnt choose that NC for a ruling, no doubt the bias was for him to get that ruling, no ref in north america or europe would have called those illigal elbows, the majoriry dosnt lie so you might as well just let this one go, whatever ya know.
Pookie
5/11/08 11:50:27PM
you do realize that those elbows temporarily paralyzed aokis right arm, which shows that the elbow did hit the top of the spinal coloumn. The whole point of not hitting the back of the head is to protect the top of the spine.

Dastardly1
5/11/08 11:52:21PM
that was a great example of what a MMA fight is about. boxing,throwing knees,takedowns,submission attempts and escapes.
puppetmaster837
5/12/08 12:52:23AM
That truly was an incredible match. In fights like those it sucks that someone has to lose
Jackelope
5/12/08 3:34:02AM
Alvarez will definitely be a force. Anyone who can stand with Joachim Hansen and make him look like he's over matched deserves all the credit they can get. What made the fight even better is how Hellboy started coming back as the fight went on. Still, Alvarez seemed to muscle him around and it was a fantastic fight.

As for Aoki, I agree that the elbow was to the back of the head/top of the spine. VERY sensitive area and I'm all for a fight being stopped due to those kinds of blows.

chubbud22
5/12/08 3:52:28AM
I think Alvarez has a grat shot at winning this Tourny
Pookie
5/12/08 4:21:27AM
Alvarez vs. Aoki in the finals maybe?
Jipper
5/12/08 7:42:01AM
Let's wait until he beats a more competent submissions guy than Aaron Riley before we start calling him the GOAT. No pun intended Nick Thompson . Have no doubt he can outstrike any heavy handed LW.
ICSlegend
5/12/08 12:40:28PM

Posted by Pookie

you do realize that those elbows temporarily paralyzed aokis right arm, which shows that the elbow did hit the top of the spinal coloumn. The whole point of not hitting the back of the head is to protect the top of the spine.

Looks like he's clearly the biased JZ fan.

And Alvarez looked like he just shocked Hansen with that first power punch, and Hansen wasn't 100% since then. Regardless, the finals are no doubt gonna be sick, Alvarez/Kawajiri/Aoki, whichever.
pv3Hpv3p
5/12/08 3:34:13PM

Posted by 89vision

I don't get what you're bitching about??? You're mad because we have Kawajiri. Alvarez, Aoki, and Uno in the finals??? that's a sick bracket any way it goes bro...

Let it go, JZ lost, it happens... I don't think any refs say a professional fighter "pusses out" no matter what the circumstance... Even so, there wasn't much that JZ could do the second time around, so I guess that's kind of a moot point either way...

Seriously, how can you not be happy with the lineup that's left in this tourney? Shit's going to be the bomb...

SIDENOTE: Not to toot my own horn, but Alvarez was my dark horse to take this tournament... Dude's a straight up beast, and fighting at 160 is going to show how bad ass he is... Don't really see anyone stopping him, although a fight with Kawajiri is starting to look like a dream matchup to me
NatedawgThaM
5/12/08 4:38:55PM
Thanks DREAM, your giving me another reason to prefer the UFC over PRIDE and you. Don't get me wrong, this was an absolute war and I loved every minute of it!!!

BUT THE DAMN ROUND SYSTEM! IT SUCKS!!! How are you going to make two guys fight for 10 minutes in the first round and then 5 in the second and not a have a third round? Especially when one fighter wins one each? Sherdog said it best, too bad these guys couldn't go a third round. I just never liked the overseas round system.

But holy crap the Gran Prix has been everything I thought it would be! JZ didn't win but just like a imagined, this tournament is absolutely sick!!! No lie, Alvarez's next fight is going to be the best fight of the whole tournament! I absolutely cannot wait!!! But yeah, I have to agree, he's top 5 for me IMO. In fact he's number 5. If he wins this whole thing then I will rank him #2 behind only BJ. Crazy!!!
Pookie
5/12/08 6:58:03PM

Posted by NatedawgThaM
BUT THE DAMN ROUND SYSTEM! IT SUCKS!!! How are you going to make two guys fight for 10 minutes in the first round and then 5 in the second and not a have a third round? Especially when one fighter wins one each?

Because the scoring system isnt based on a round to round basis to begin with. Its based on who won the entire fight.
And it was pretty obvious alvarez won the fight.
Youre just asking for too much, thats like saying because guida vs. griffin was such a war that because there wasnt a 4rth round the scoring system sucks. Sure it was entertaining, but you cant just make them fight another round without telling them.

fedorwins1
5/12/08 7:26:01PM
Anyone have a link? I must be the only person around here who hasn't seen it......man it sucks not having a computer (at the local library)
fedorwins1
5/12/08 7:50:50PM
Alright I just saw this fight (thanks youtube), it was an amazing fight. Alvarez has a ton of energy and is very light on his feet. He throws fast punches and has sick takedowns to boot. The only thing that bugs me about Alvarez is his eyebrows! They look like they're drawn on or something. I have Alvarez taking this GP, I think his biggest challenge will be Kawajiri (in the finals).
mk1630
5/12/08 8:53:38PM
By far that was the best fight ive seen so far in DREAM. I was rooting for Alvarez to win after seeing his first fight in the tournament, because before that i hadn't seen any of his fights. Great fight and i hope he takes the tournament. Both fights were great.
NatedawgThaM
5/13/08 12:12:41PM

Posted by Pookie

Posted by NatedawgThaM
BUT THE DAMN ROUND SYSTEM! IT SUCKS!!! How are you going to make two guys fight for 10 minutes in the first round and then 5 in the second and not a have a third round? Especially when one fighter wins one each?

Because the scoring system isnt based on a round to round basis to begin with. Its based on who won the entire fight.
Youre just asking for too much, thats like saying because guida vs. griffin was such a war that because there wasnt a 4rth round the scoring system sucks. Sure it was entertaining, but you cant just make them fight another round without telling them.

No I'm not, I'm not asking for two much. Guida/Griffin? Their was a clear winner(Guida) it's just the UFC is up Griffin's butthole so they gave him the fight. The only reason it was close.

All I'm saying is a 10 minute first round is stupid. It's why they have equal timed rounds in boxing and in the UFC. You lose a round, you go back to your corner, they tell you what you did wrong and how to improve, and then you win the next round. But you can't do that in DREAM or in PRIDE. You lose the first ten minute round and you basically need a KO or submission to win. I thought Eddie won the first round and Hanson won the 2nd which is why it sucks their wasn't a third round. I'm not asking for an extra round after all that. I just wish they had 3 five minute rounds. Not 1st round 10 minutes, and 2 five minutes. That's freakin sick.
pv3Hpv3p
5/13/08 12:22:46PM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

Posted by Pookie

Posted by NatedawgThaM

No I'm not, I'm not asking for two much. Guida/Griffin? Their was a clear winner(Guida) it's just the UFC is up Griffin's butthole so they gave him the fight. The only reason it was close.

All I'm saying is a 10 minute first round is stupid. It's why they have equal timed rounds in boxing and in the UFC. You lose a round, you go back to your corner, they tell you what you did wrong and how to improve, and then you win the next round. But you can't do that in DREAM or in PRIDE. You lose the first ten minute round and you basically need a KO or submission to win. I thought Eddie won the first round and Hanson won the 2nd which is why it sucks their wasn't a third round. I'm not asking for an extra round after all that. I just wish they had 3 five minute rounds. Not 1st round 10 minutes, and 2 five minutes. That's freakin sick.

I think the reason for 10 minute rounds and also the reason people like them is because they promote finishing a fight... You said it yourself, if you make it through round 1 and know you lost; you have to go for a sub of KO to seal the victory...

If you want to look at it... Alvarez won the first round (which would be equal to 2 5 min rounds) and Hansen won the 3rd... Just like winning one round in a three round fight pretty much...

If you look back at Pride, there were a lot of fights that ended near the end of the 1st round... They wanted their fighters to win or lose decisively, and leave less to the opinions of the judges... And seeing some of the lopsided decisions in both Pride and the UFC as well as any other org, I don't see any problem with that
Cladrix
5/13/08 1:31:15PM
Alvarez vs. Hansen for Fight of the year Candidate!!!!