Alright who do you think deserves fighter of the year?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Alright who do you think deserves fighter of the year?
POLL: best of 2009
GSP 8% (5)
Machida 15% (9)
Silva 13% (8)
BJ 12% (7)
Aldo 47% (28)
Fedor 5% (3)
Taylor8766
12/19/09 1:01:36AM
Just wondering who you guys think is the most deserving for this years fighter of the year:
GSP fought twice and was 2-0
Lyoto Machida fought 3 times and was 3-0
Anderson Silva fought twice and was 2-0
BJ Penn fought three times and was 2-1
Jose Aldo fought 4 times and was 4-0
Fedor fought twice and was 2-0
cmill21
12/19/09 1:32:09AM
Definetly not Lyoto because he lost. I'll go with aldo.
KaibaThedon
12/19/09 2:04:29AM
Strong cases can be made for GSP who beat BJ and Thiago Alves, 2 REALLY tough guys.

BJ lost to GSP which ws no surprise at all, but vanquished both KENFLO and Diego Nightmare (no easy task)

Anderson Silva embarrassed Forrest Griffin and was in an ugly fight with Thales Leites

I would say BJ or Georges since they both defended twice. Machida would've taken this had he definitively won against Shogun lol
JoeySteel
12/19/09 2:08:41AM
I think it is Lesner.

no I don't even like GSP but maybe him.

Silva of course, that is the safe bet, and my REAL vote.

but honestly Lesner has had a great year, and I think he is the only champ YOU left off this list. He should at least be on the list.

?Fedor, really, yeah I guess that was an AMAZING victory over Rogers. come on, not his best year.
submissionartist1
12/19/09 2:31:50AM
Aldo he had impressive fights as a walk on and he won the title from the man who beat WEC's MAN Faber, no brainer its not about being a star its about being a fighter. Aldo gaind the alot of respect from people i think last year we had no idea who he was all other choices have had time to shine from zero to beatig a hero, (not that he was a zero)- just a saying
Twenty20Dollars
12/19/09 10:27:26AM
All hail ALDO
RyanC
12/19/09 10:45:45AM
My vote went to BJ simply because he defended his belt twice against two extremely good fighters, and not only won, but dismanteled both of them in dominating fashion.

I think Aldo, and GSP would be my second choices. Aldo destroyed everyone he fought on his way to the belt, and GSP picked apart BJ, and Alves. I suppose by my title defense logic GSP could very well be the winner also. I think people expected him to win both fights more than BJ to some degree though.

I'm going with BJ.
sbulldavid
12/19/09 10:56:47AM
Shogun Rua
warglory
12/19/09 11:02:25AM
Machida, I don't care what anyone thinks. This was his breakout year and showed everyone he could finish fights, which he did twice in dramatic fashion, and fought a very dramatic and interesting fight against Shogun. Yes, I also believe he lost, but why would we hold it against the man for the ruling? He still fought his heart out. Keep in mind that the majority of these people on this board, even last year, never considered Machida a worthwhile fighter to watch. He changed everyone's perception. Machida was the man in 2009.
karn501
12/19/09 11:41:54AM

Posted by warglory

Machida, I don't care what anyone thinks. This was his breakout year and showed everyone he could finish fights, which he did twice in dramatic fashion, and fought a very dramatic and interesting fight against Shogun. Yes, I also believe he lost, but why would we hold it against the man for the ruling? He still fought his heart out. Keep in mind that the majority of these people on this board, even last year, never considered Machida a worthwhile fighter to watch. He changed everyone's perception. Machida was the man in 2009.

he had nothing to do with the decision and too many people hold it against him he still demolished rashad which not many people saw coming
Jackelope
12/19/09 12:39:15PM

Posted by warglory

I also agree with what you're saying here. As far as gaining recognition on the big stage goes it has to be Machida. A year and a half ago nobody hardly even knew who he was let alone liked him. Midway through the year he was high on cloud 9 after some huge victories. It's too bad what happened vs. Shogun, but it's not his fault.

Aside from that I think Jose Aldo was very impressive. Not only did he fight more times than any of the others listed, but he absolutely demolished his competition. There was never any fight his opponent was looking like they were going to win. He absolutely destroyed Cub Swanson and backed it up by making Mike Brown look like a fool. If you're talking about in MMA as a whole and not on the big stage Jose Aldo is my most impressive fighter of the year.
copcopps
12/19/09 1:10:41PM
Aldo by far.
mrsmiley
12/19/09 1:59:06PM
Dan Henderson.

For finaly shutting up Bisping.
karn501
12/19/09 2:21:47PM

Posted by mrsmiley

Dan Henderson.

For finaly shutting up Bisping.

love it
sbulldavid
12/19/09 6:54:31PM
My Shogun post is just a should've been. Machida deserves the nod, Aldo might be even more dominant in his weight class, but no LHW has ever been so dominant that we have wondered if he'd ever lose. Shogun has been my favorite fighter for years, and I think he would've been fighter of the year, but I don't think many would argue with my boy being comeback fighter of the year. Cheers for a great rematch between two great fighters.
breakdown5
12/19/09 8:07:16PM
Aldo. Ran through his competition so far and will probably continue to do so in the new year.

<-----------
NatedawgThaM
12/20/09 3:00:29AM
Aldo because he took over a whole division by taking out everybody, While GSP had 2 boing fights, Machida was the clear winner til he fought shogun, BJ lost, and Anderson did horrible against thales.
ncordless
12/21/09 10:56:34AM
Earlier this year, I thought it would be Machida. But after his fight with Shogun and Aldo's Mike-Brown-Beatdown I think Aldo came in ahead. As others have said, there was never a moment in any of his fights where it seemed he might have a problem with his opponent. Obviously some of his opponents were not the highest-caliber, but he defaced a top 20 FW and dominated the top FW and borderline top 10 p4p.

If GSP hadn't shut it down so early this year, he probably would have been my pick.
cmill21
12/21/09 11:36:08AM
My problem with GSP is that he bores the hell outta me. Yes he's an incredible wrestler, but I just hate that style, he used to be very exciting...until the Serra dust up.
telnights
12/21/09 3:19:30PM
I would have to go with either Aldo or Machida as both had great years. Also GSP is deserving as well.

Machida not only beat two very good top 10 undefeated fighters but he KOed both of them. Even if you agree or disagree with the outcome of the fight with Shogun it was still a great fight and if anything it showed how great both fighters are.

Aldo won 4 fights two of which was against top 10 fighters one of which was number 1 and a top P4P fighter but he also made it look easy.

GSP beat BJ Penn and Alves which both were top 10 fighters and BJ being one of the best P4P fighters in the world. He also beat both these guys without even losing one round.
higdon10
12/21/09 10:31:08PM
GSP because he has the best wins.
jiujitsufreak74
12/22/09 6:48:14AM
Aldo, because as others have said not only did he defeat top competition, he did it with ease and was the most dominant.