Almeida Plans Move to 170, Browning fearful of being cut

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Almeida Plans Move to 170, Browning fearful of being cut
Wolfenstein
4/2/09 6:13:17PM
“My plans are to drop to 170 pounds,” Almeida told UFC.com. “My team has been saying that I’m too small to fight these big guys at 185.

“With as many lightweights as there are in the UFC, that was probably my last fight, so I don’t think I have to worry about that anymore,” Browning told UFC.com.

link
Loot613
4/2/09 6:32:56PM
He's right....
tallica62
4/2/09 6:59:51PM
he is right..the only thing that will give him a chance is the "hype" or "attention" that his name brings due to his TUF antics...other than that hes toast
Jackelope
4/2/09 7:01:17PM
What, Junie playing the "poor me" card? Never!

I highly doubt it will be his last fight, though. He was just simply outclassed by a guy who had a good 10 more fights than he did. With as much as Dana likes him, and as much as he showed improvement between TUF and his first actual UFC fight there's got to be a place for him. I don't necessarily like the guy, but he stirs emotions within fans and gets them interested in his bouts. I think that's something the UFC will look at and keep him around.
theguido
4/2/09 7:02:33PM
I'm pretty sure they'll keep him around for at least 1 more fight. A. Because he was so wild on the show he's able to draw a crowd love or hate him it's true and B. People would go just to watch someone that talks so much crap get there but kicked.
wapttn
4/2/09 7:32:04PM
I find it very doubtful that they'll drop him after that one fight. Reason being is two fold

first.. he still has a draw because of his stint on TUF and would be a notable stepping stone for an entry level fighter

second.. his potential. He has the raw talent, he now has the mentor (tompkins), he has the camp (xtreme couture), and he has the training partners (griffin, maynard, etc.).

He's worth another shot in the ufc.. but even if he does get cut, I suspect that he'll be back after pulling his game together in another promotion (maybe wec?)
DCRage
4/2/09 7:35:26PM
Cue the Steam...he's 1-1 in a very crowded Lightweight division. If this was WEC that might cut it, but it's not. And even there it's a stretch just because of how loaded WEC is.
Wolfenstein
4/2/09 7:37:44PM
I think they need to keep Browning, because they have invested a lot of publicity in him. I don't think the UFC wants to hand over a big draw like Junie over to Strikeforce or even Affliction. Make no mistake, another organization would snatch him up in a second.
Twenty20Dollars
4/2/09 7:43:31PM
Seems like a decent more for Almeida.

I would prolly have junie go to WEC, but whatever happens, happens. Doesnt really matter to me.
Aaronno9
4/2/09 7:45:28PM
Junie wont get dropped, Dana loves him to much. I hope he doesnt, I want to see him get owned again.
tepid55
4/2/09 8:20:33PM
I think Junie will be cut because there are too many lightweights in the UFC that he can't beat and at the end of the day, it's about wins and losses.
loller90278
4/2/09 8:23:04PM

Posted by tepid55

I think Junie will be cut because there are too many lightweights in the UFC that he can't beat and at the end of the day, it's about wins and losses.

at the end of the day, its who can put butts in seats.
xdanish020
4/2/09 10:00:34PM
they should just let Junie fight for the WEC...he'd be a contender there at 155lbs and matches up well against a lot of their LW's.
emfleek
4/2/09 10:14:25PM
One word will keep Junie from getting cut.

Ratings.

He can lose his NEXT fight and I'd still bet the bank on it that he wouldn't get dropped.

He'll get an "easy" fight this time around and they'll build him slowly. If they're smart...and they usually are.
StPierreCanada
4/2/09 10:30:29PM
Nice move by Almeida, he is a great fighter and I believe could do a lot more damage at 170.

As for Junie, I hope he doesn't get cut yet, he showed a lot of maturity in the weigh-ins and after the fight IMO. I think he has tons of potential and can do good things, but just fought a better fighter in Cole Miller. I would like to see Junie stay honestly.
StPierreCanada
4/2/09 10:32:46PM

Posted by loller90278

Posted by tepid55

at the end of the day, its who can put butts in seats.

Exactly.
StPierreCanada
4/2/09 10:34:23PM

Posted by xdanish020

they should just let Junie fight for the WEC...he'd be a contender there at 155lbs and matches up well against a lot of their LW's.

WEC doesn't have the 155 class, do you mean 145'ers? As in Featherweights. If you do I disagree, I think he can make an impact on the UFC 155 division with some experience and more training.
bigbubbano23
4/2/09 10:46:31PM
i hope he goes to another organization
bls1919
4/2/09 10:51:23PM
Looks like a sound move for Aleida. Weight is always an issue, especially in grappling. Smaller guys wil be easier for him to "handle". 15 lbs of muscle is a lot . As for Browning. I don't believe for a second this is his last fight in the UFC. He has too much name recognition for them not to at least throw him to wolves at least one more time.
prozacnation1978
4/2/09 10:54:46PM
i hate to say it but junie is a draw he won't be cut i think even if he loses again he won't be cut
i do see him maybe facing dos anjos next
Twenty20Dollars
4/2/09 10:56:28PM

Posted by StPierreCanada

Posted by xdanish020

WEC doesn't have the 155 class, do you mean 145'ers? As in Featherweights. If you do I disagree, I think he can make an impact on the UFC 155 division with some experience and more training.

WEC has the 155ers, jamie varner is the champ. WEC kept its LW class.
StPierreCanada
4/2/09 10:59:43PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

Posted by StPierreCanada

Posted by xdanish020

WEC has the 155ers, jamie varner is the champ. WEC kept its LW class.

Yeah, yeah my bad, your right lol, don't know what I was thinking, thanks for correcting me.
Twenty20Dollars
4/2/09 11:31:52PM
Well there are a few WEC LW guys that should be in the UFC.
ncordless
4/3/09 1:12:45AM
Ricardo Almeida at 170 sounds great. An interesting counter to the top position game employed by many of the top wws.

... and who cares about Junie Browning anyway? It shows that he has done something right if more people are posting about him than a real talent like Ricardo Almeida.

I do like the Junie/Dos Anjos suggestion though... Dos Anjos sub rnd 1.
Gipper
4/3/09 1:38:42AM
almeida will be scary at 170. i can't think of anyone at that weight in the ufc that will be able to hang with him on the ground.
runningman08
6/21/09 6:58:55PM
I hope UFC doesn't drop him. I want to see him get his ass kicked again. Bring his bro on to so he can lose. Hell even if kimbo losses bring him on. I think it would be interesting to see a whole night dedicated to ass whoppins.