Just allow knees to the head on the ground ALREADY!

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Just allow knees to the head on the ground ALREADY!
40ouncetpkid
12/1/13 9:21:08AM
You saw it with Guillard against Pearson and last night in the Blanco prelim fight. Their is no room for grey areas in a fist fight. NO ROOM. Its just causes to much controversy especially with all the adrenaline pumping its hard to judge if your opponents on the ground or not. Especially since you could possibly throw a knee when their not on the ground but be on the ground once it lands.

Nobody ever got seriously hurt in pride in 30-40 events and they even allowed foot stomps and soccer kicks. Its ridiculous. The sport is mainstream now and more welcomed so they can bring back some of the rules they took out just so McCain could get his female panties out of his ass.

Of course headbutting, eye gouging and low blows shouldnt comeback. Foot stomps and Soccer kicks even. But knees to the head are great because they add extra ammo to a stalemate on the ground so people just cant hold you.
FlashyG
12/1/13 10:11:45AM
Last nights knee wasn't in any grey area.

It was 100% illegal. Corrassani had both a hand and a knee down when he got hit.

All fighters like Blanco have to do is throw those knees at the body and they don't have to worry about whether he's down or not.

The sport is becoming mainstream, but that has a lot to do with the unified rules. Should they allow it to get more violent chances are they are going to run into trouble with Fox.
tepid55
12/1/13 10:53:00AM
Knees to the head of a grounded opponent should be legal.
Lungsofsteel
12/1/13 11:13:11AM

Posted by tepid55

I agree it gets to a point where fighter play this game weather they're grounded or not. It also holds back fighter like Wandy and Shogun. Go to Youtube and watch "Wanderlei's Banned Secret Weapon". It shows him going for a soccer kick in the UFC but hesitates because he remembers the rule.
airkerma
12/1/13 11:20:53AM
It wasn't a grey area but once again we see a fighter in trouble get bailed out by somewhat silly rules and some excellent acting (he should give K-Stew some lessons).
How does making a person who has one knee on the ground safe from a head kick or knee any less violent than a thai clinch where you slam someones head repeatedly into your knee?
Fox doesn't have a problem with allowing and promoting murderers, rapists, multiple offence drunk drivers to get at it on the football field, why should fine young men not be allowed to use reasonable tools in a sport that IS violent?
If it had to do with fighter safety I could jive with it, as I do speak jive, but this is simply outdated red tape that serves no purpose.
Finally, shouldn't Fox only be concerned with ratings? If so do they not think that adding these ridiculous stoppages would reduce viewership of casuals as uneducated viewers get confused by these odd rules and unsatisfactory endings to fights?

On a side note I don't think stomps should ever even enter the debate as it truly just looks like street violence.
Webbie
12/1/13 12:06:59PM

Posted by tepid55

Been saying this all along

I can't understand why they're considered so much more lethal than a standing knee.
Webbie
12/1/13 12:11:50PM

Posted by FlashyG

The sport is becoming mainstream, but that has a lot to do with the unified rules. Should they allow it to get more violent chances are they are going to run into trouble with Fox.

But is a knee to an opponent's head who has a hand or knee on the mat really any different than if they lift that hand or knee from that mat? It's the exact same weapon and does the same damage.

It's just a ridiculous rule IMO. Like I've said many times, it was allowed in UCC/TKO in Canada, so why not in the UFC?

Soccer kicks and head stomps... yeah, that's a little much. But a knee from side control or a knee when the opponent's hand or knee is on the mat is no worse than a standing knee, and definitely no worse than a knee while having their face pulled into it in a muay thai clinch.
DeadHead988
12/1/13 2:17:54PM
If anything, last night showed why they should be illegal. The fight lasted a total of 25 seconds, and in that amount of time Akira Corassani's nose was broken in 5 places. Clearly they are capable of causing devastating amounts of injury, and simply have no place in a televised sport. Also, whoever sad nobody was seriously injured in Pride should probably do some research on that statement. There are some Pride vets with some seriously messed up brains these days.
jjeans
12/1/13 2:25:12PM

Posted by DeadHead988

If anything, last night showed why they should be illegal. The fight lasted a total of 25 seconds, and in that amount of time Akira Corassani's nose was broken in 5 places. Clearly they are capable of causing devastating amounts of injury, and simply have no place in a televised sport. Also, whoever sad nobody was seriously injured in Pride should probably do some research on that statement. There are some Pride vets with some seriously messed up brains these days.

This.
jjeans
12/1/13 2:30:35PM

Posted by DeadHead988

This. A knee to the face is already damaging enough...having limited ways to go is just gonna make it a whole different ball game. I mean if you land a decent sprawl on your opponent... It's pretty much game over for them.
jae_1833
12/1/13 2:54:36PM
I guarantee you that Anderson's standing knee strike to Franklin was more devastating and damaging. I have seen several short fights due to a punch that had broken jaw as the reported injury. There are more ways to injure someone that can be listed...the rule is fucking stupid and should be revoked!
Webbie
12/1/13 3:12:26PM

Posted by DeadHead988

That damage could've been done while he was on the feet, too.

Posted by jae_1833

I guarantee you that Anderson's standing knee strike to Franklin was more devastating and damaging. I have seen several short fights due to a punch that had broken jaw as the reported injury. There are more ways to injure someone that can be listed...the rule is fucking stupid and should be revoked!

Exactly

Not to mention that if the knees were legal and fighters are aware that they could be eating knees in that position they're going to be more prepared for it and less likely to just keep their hand(s) and/or knee(s) on the mat just to avoid those strikes.
40ouncetpkid
12/1/13 6:18:49PM

Posted by Webbie

Posted by DeadHead988

That damage could've been done while he was on the feet, too.

Posted by jae_1833

Exactly

Not to mention that if the knees were legal and fighters are aware that they could be eating knees in that position they're going to be more prepared for it and less likely to just keep their hand(s) and/or knee(s) on the mat just to avoid those strikes.

This. If anything it causes more damage because like I said adrenaline takes over and fighters arent using discretion as they are too busy trying to win fights and not lose their jobs while fighters dont protect themselves because they think they are safe.

How is a brutal knee to the face by Anderson or Prime Wandy, or a punch by Prime Chuck or Guillard any better then a knee while the persons on their knee?

As far as brain damage in Pride are you fn kidding me. Im talking about lives lost or seriously injury directly afterwards. Football and any other contact sport can cause brain damage. Its a risk every fighter is willing to take. You think fighters like Chuck and Diego wont be severely brain damaged by the rules already in plsce?
tcunningham
12/1/13 8:41:41PM
I guess I'll be the guy to say that knees should definitely be ILLEGAL. as a fighter, knees to the head would be fun to throw, but I would seriously worry about them dramatically shortening my career or ending it all together. elbows cut, but I'll take a cut over brain trauma. I've already had enough brain trauma as it is.
Drudinh
12/3/13 1:53:59AM
My vote is it should be legal. If it were legal fighters will be more aware to protect themselves. It is the game that is played that has lead to more injuries and boring stalemates when in certain transitions. just my 0.02
Kpro
12/3/13 9:27:25AM
I'm all for them being legal to a grounded fighter, as in the 3 point stance, but I'm not all for them being legal against a fighter with his back on the mat. Just like a fighter with his back on the mat should be able to kick grounded opponents above them. Some top control knees to the dome from North-South position would be devastating though, like a stomp, and I wouldn't care for that to be legal. To me, it's about if there is room for the head to move backwards after the blow, otherwise what's illegal now is no worse health-wise than standing knees with a thai grip behind the opponents head.
Kpro
12/3/13 9:37:19AM
And the fighters should have to cross an Alligator-filled moat to get into the Octagon.
prozacnation1978
12/5/13 7:53:28AM
Elbow hit or a knee to the head. What's the difference.

What they need is pride yellow cards for stalling
And ducking a % out for lousy fights