Allen Iverson Traded To Detroit for Chauncy Billups!!!

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Allen Iverson Traded To Detroit for Chauncy Billups!!!
RampageOwnedYou
11/3/08 11:57:55PM
Wow, huge trade in the NBA today.

Allen Iverson heads to DETROIT

Chauncy Billups and Antonio McDyess to Denver.

WOW!!!

Never though I could see Chauncy in any other jersey than Detroit. I kinda feel bad for him. But hey, Detroit got better.
CaliforniaMed
11/4/08 12:38:04AM
Nuggets back in playoffs

i love A.I., but him & Melo shouldnt be on the same team

Billups will bring leadership & a TRUE pt guard that AI is not, & McDyess will bring a solid veteran w/ post season experience......add Melo's double double every night & i see one hell of a sleeper in the West
Ordep
11/4/08 12:58:35AM
Denver wins here...

Iverson scores a lot but Billups controlled the game action in Detroit, wasn't much of a scorer but a leader that moved the whole team. I doubt Iverson will do that.

Plus Detroit lost one of their best bench players in McDy.
MMAcca
11/4/08 1:25:41AM
just....
nastshabast
11/4/08 2:50:47AM
Ya but Detroit signed Maxiell for 4 years and just signed Rip for 3 i think. Plus Sheed takes a huge chunk of cash and Prince...plus they got Stuckey locked up, McDyess and Chauncey were the odd men out. AI goes to FA this year which gives the pistons tons of flex for LEBRON!!! or some other big FA's. Who wouldn't want to be a Piston?
gartface
11/4/08 2:53:48AM

Posted by Ordep

Denver wins here...

Iverson scores a lot but Billups controlled the game action in Detroit, wasn't much of a scorer but a leader that moved the whole team. I doubt Iverson will do that.

McDyess is freed up to go back to Detroit. The Nuggets bought out his contract.
Shawn91111
11/4/08 3:03:07AM

Posted by Ordep

Denver wins here...

Ummm no Detroit doesnt lose here either.

Iverson's contract ( along with Rasheed) comes off the books next year and free's up $21 million dollars of cap space. With that, in the summer of 2009 and 2010, the Pistons will be able to sign 2 players to max contracts. And those are when the studs around the league will be free agents. On top of that, (a rumor from sources inside the Pistons) the Nuggets are going to buy out McDyess' contract and he will be released and resigned by the Pistons (like they did with Lindsey Hunter in the Rasheed trade). So, essentially, the Pistons trade Chauncey and his contract to Denver for AI and an expiring contract and gives the Pistons a chance to sign big players in the future. This is an unbelievable trade for Detroit and not only gives them a change and a shot of life now, but it gives them something for the future. With the emergence of Stuckey, Johnson and Maxiell, Chauncey became expendable. I like this trade
hails
11/4/08 3:17:08AM
Since I have NBA 09, i have been waiting for a monstor trade, so that I can start a season with a team with lots of superstars.

This is not the trade I wanted, guess I will have to stick to the suns, that way I can bang in the paint with Shaq + Amari, and also have 3 very potent shooters outside, with Bell, Nash and Barbosa!!!

I guess I will have to wait for Kobe to join the Suns for basically nothing, so that I can be totally unstoppable!!!
gsquat
11/4/08 10:36:19AM
This is not what Detroit needed. They might do alright, but they wont get past the conference finals again. It'll help the selfish Nuggets players by having two team guys like Billups and McDyess. They may make it to the western finals this year.
Fearless915
11/4/08 11:22:30AM
Bad trade for the pistons, in my opinion Billups is much better, Iverson is godo though
cowcatcher
11/4/08 11:29:32AM

Posted by nastshabast

Ya but Detroit signed Maxiell for 4 years and just signed Rip for 3 i think. Plus Sheed takes a huge chunk of cash and Prince...plus they got Stuckey locked up, McDyess and Chauncey were the odd men out. AI goes to FA this year which gives the pistons tons of flex for LEBRON!!! or some other big FA's. Who wouldn't want to be a Piston?

you are the only one who has said exactly why this trade went down: lebron. the pistons will hope to not only land the biggest free agent in many many years, but also cripple a division rival in doing so. i hate the pistons(im a bucks fan), and i really hope that lebron wants to stay a hometown hero and realizes the the cavs have made trade after trade trying to get him help and shows some loyalty by re-signing there but who knows in this day and age in sport. then again if hes looking for a change of scenery i know a nice little town on lake michigan that would love to have him(but probably cant afford him)

EDIT: dont be surprised to see a few other teams dumping big contracts to get in on the lebron chase either, his free agency alone may reshape the looks of a handful of teams.
gsquat
11/4/08 12:17:32PM
I think Lebron is pulling a Kobe of last year. He'll sound like he's all about going somewhere else, but when his team starts gettin their act together, he'll change his tune and stay where he is. If he did go to detroit, he'd have been better off with Chauncey and Dyess than AI.
DCRage
11/4/08 12:20:16PM
My thoughts on it (LeBron) as I posted on another site: "If he plays for any other NBA team it's probably going to be New York or maybe the Lakers. NY is probably the best fit for him since he'd almost certainly have the most spotlight in terms of exposure. Lakers is a tempting thought but if Shaq & Kobe couldn't co-exist so well, I don't think Kobe & LeBron would be much better, if it could be."
gsquat
11/4/08 1:12:45PM

Posted by DCRage

My thoughts on it (LeBron) as I posted on another site: "If he plays for any other NBA team it's probably going to be New York or maybe the Lakers. NY is probably the best fit for him since he'd almost certainly have the most spotlight in terms of exposure. Lakers is a tempting thought but if Shaq & Kobe couldn't co-exist so well, I don't think Kobe & LeBron would be much better, if it could be."

Shaq and Kobe would not be comparable to Kobe and Lebron. Kobe was different then. He wanted to be the "man" and so did Shaq. Now Kobe is a team player and his Lakers are awesome because of it. Lebron has never tried to be the "man". He's always a been very solid team player. Almost always looks to pass before he shoots. With that said, Kobe, Lebron, Bynum, Pao, and Fish would be madness. With several great bench players. Not gonna happen though. The Lakers couldn't afford Lebron. Not after Bynum's contract. But like I said before... We all know Lebron isn't going anywhere soon.
DCRage
11/4/08 1:27:41PM
If the Cavs find a way to get him a title in the next 2 years. No doubt the hometown fans will want him to stay, but he can likely be complacent for only so long without a good team around him. To try and get back on topic, I'm seeing a bit of Iverson in the LeBron stuff here. AI wanted out of Philly and it seemed like he wasn't going to get his deep playoff run. Took a side trip to Denver but now it might finally be wish finally granted. And with Detroit getting $34 million in potential cap space after this season...I know, won't be around in a couple years and LeBron probably wouldn't want to play a couple hours north in a rival's hometown, but stranger things have happened.
gsquat
11/4/08 1:34:28PM
Wow. I just looked at how small the Pistons' roster is now. They dont have one true center. Thats quite the opposite of the Lakers with four seven-footers.
DCRage
11/4/08 1:40:11PM
McDyess may not be a true center, but he'll probably be back despite the trade. Rumors are Denver will buyout his contract in which case Detroit "would love to have him back", although due to NBA rules they'll have to wait 30 days to re-sign him in that case. The closest they have probably is 'Sheed and his contract's up after the season.
higdon10
11/4/08 4:20:00PM
Denver got a really good deal.
Shawn91111
11/4/08 6:19:47PM

Posted by gsquat

This is not what Detroit needed. They might do alright, but they wont get past the conference finals again. It'll help the selfish Nuggets players by having two team guys like Billups and McDyess. They may make it to the western finals this year.

This is what Detroit needed, a shake up, something to spice up their rotation from being a bit stale. You have to give to get and getting rid of Chauncey with an emerging Stuckey was fine, its about the future which Dumars sees. No way is Denver making any Finals, Western, or otherwise.

Posted by gsquat

Wow. I just looked at how small the Pistons' roster is now. They dont have one true center. Thats quite the opposite of the Lakers with four seven-footers.

'

When did Detroit have a true Center? Look around the league gone are the days of the dominate 7 footers of the 80's. There are only a handful of big men and true post players. Rasheed does fine down there, he is very versatile and can bring the opposing teams big man out to the perimeter. Height means crap if you dont know how to use it.