Alistair Overeem wins International fighter of the year W.T.F

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Alistair Overeem wins International fighter of the year W.T.F
mmamatt81
12/2/10 8:15:52AM
Just wanting to know how the **** Alistair "One fight this year" Overeem wins best International fighter of the year with only one win in the year fare enough he is the Strikeforce Champion but has defended his title once in 3 years which is his only defence and will not defend his title against any creditable fighters. Not trying to fighter bash but i think of 2 other nominees who are more deserving 1. George Sotiropoulos has fought 3 times this year with 3 wins against 3 creditable opponents and is 7 and 0 in the biggest organisation in the World.
2. Shinya Aoki has fought 4 times this year with 3 wins 1 loss and is champion of an equal association as Overeem. Just my thought but i will say again that it seems like a shitty champion that makes a lot of excuses. The peoples choice George Sotiropoulos your the the deserving winner!
Twenty20Dollars
12/2/10 10:57:17AM
Well how about Anderson Silva vs Chael Sonnen for FOTY, I come on.

Jorge Santiago vs Kazuo Misaki should have been FOTY.
PABLOMAFIOSO
12/2/10 3:58:58PM
Jorge Santiago vs Kazuo Misaki should have been FOTY.
I heard the hype about this fight and when I watched it I was somewhat dissapointed. It was back and forth but pretty sloppy.
Maybe it's just me but how great this fight was seemed to be blown out of proportion (especially by Schiavello)
Twenty20Dollars
12/2/10 8:13:28PM
At least it was more back and forth unlike Sonnen and Silva which was a one side GnP fight till the end.
hate4thestate
12/2/10 9:18:10PM
Depending when you consider the year he could have faught as many as 3 times this "year". Now if you include K-1 hes faught more then that. I would assume at least Dynamite is considered in the year so thats twice. He also had a fight in September of 2009 but Im not sure if that would be counted. With another 3-4 fights in K-1.

Sorry but the "one fight a year" statement was kind of ignorant.

EDIT: Misaki vs Santiago was definetly better then Silva vs Sonnen. Honestly I think Misaki-Santiago should have won.
BlueSkiesBurn
12/3/10 2:51:42AM
Apparently most people missed the title of this thread. FIGHTER Of The Year. Not *FIGHT*
tcunningham
12/3/10 3:37:35AM
not many other fighter fight as much as overeem when it comes to K-1 and MMA. i think he deserves it.
BlueSkiesBurn
12/3/10 3:49:44AM

Posted by tcunningham

not many other fighter fight as much as overeem when it comes to K-1 and MMA. i think he deserves it.

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing. I'm merely saying that everyone began commenting on FIGHT of the Year when the thread subject had the author upset with International FIGHTER of the Year. Made me chuckle.
mmamatt81
12/3/10 8:41:49AM

Posted by hate4thestate

Depending when you consider the year he could have faught as many as 3 times this "year". Now if you include K-1 hes faught more then that. I would assume at least Dynamite is considered in the year so thats twice. He also had a fight in September of 2009 but Im not sure if that would be counted. With another 3-4 fights in K-1.

Sorry but the "one fight a year" statement was kind of ignorant.

EDIT: Misaki vs Santiago was definetly better then Silva vs Sonnen. Honestly I think Misaki-Santiago should have won.

So who has he fought and beaten in mma in the last 4 years no-one i realize he fights in K1 but that is not mma if it was combat sports award's fair enough but it's not. For someone to be Champion of an Organisation and only fight the 4th or 5th best in that Org and duck the rest is just not good enough. Just my thought's keep it real.
BlueSkiesBurn
12/3/10 9:29:20AM

Posted by mmamatt81

So who has he fought and beaten in mma in the last 4 years no-one i realize he fights in K1 but that is not mma if it was combat sports award's fair enough but it's not. For someone to be Champion of an Organisation and only fight the 4th or 5th best in that Org and duck the rest is just not good enough. Just my thought's keep it real.

Let's look at Overeem's opponents from 2009-10

1. Tony Sylvester

2. James Thompson

3. Kazuyuki Fujita

4. Brett Rogers (Only title defense since '07)

I guess, I'm sure you could find an international fighter who's faced tougher competition than that last year.

I see his point.
Pookie
12/3/10 11:42:08AM
He knocked out Fujita, and Fujita stayed down. That deserves some kind of reward.
hate4thestate
12/3/10 12:44:22PM

Posted by Pookie

He knocked out Fujita, and Fujita stayed down. That deserves some kind of reward.

That in itself at least deserves KO of the century.
DutchRebelP
12/3/10 12:47:27PM
most award were unbelievable