Alistair Overeem Wants Fabricio Werdum Next, 100 Percent Confident of Win

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Alistair Overeem Wants Fabricio Werdum Next, 100 Percent Confident of Win
jae_1833
7/21/10 12:30:11AM
link
"Let's just say this, there's a couple of fights that I would like to have, and I'm going to start with the first one: the first one is going to definitely be Werdum -- he's the winner of that fight [against Fedor Emelianenko]. I'm sure, 100% sure, I'm going to beat him," Overeem said.

Overeem wants Werdum next not only because he recently defeated Emelianenko, but because "The Demolition Man" lost to "Vai Cavalo" in the first round of the 2006 Pride Open Weight Grand Prix.
tcunningham
7/21/10 2:15:04AM
i expect overeem to destroy werdum. werdum has never really impressed me even with his win over fedor cause frankly, fedor got caught. alistair is going to put a whooping on werdum
Jackelope
7/21/10 2:31:53AM
If it stays standing I don't see why Overeem would have any difficulty dispatching Werdum.

That being said, Werdum stands a chance against anybody in the world on the ground. He'd earned at least that amount of respect even before he defeated Fedor.
jae_1833
7/21/10 3:04:26AM
I am also happy to see SF finally use the concept of #1 contender correctly. It's about frickin' time!!
BlueSkiesBurn
7/21/10 3:53:20AM

Posted by jae_1833

I am also happy to see SF finally use the concept of #1 contender correctly. It's about frickin' time!!

Well, if nothing has changed on the elbow surgery front, I don't think Overeem will get his wish.
BigIP
7/21/10 10:18:03AM
Overheem knows Werdum is injured. Is he ducking Fedor?
Rush
7/21/10 10:20:40AM

Posted by BigIP

Overheem knows Werdum is injured. Is he ducking Fedor?

I doubt it. He probably feels he has a better chance at beating the guy that beat Fedor, than beating Fedor himself.
bjj1605
7/21/10 2:56:22PM
If it stays standing Overeem will crush him. On the ground Werdum will tie him into knots. I will be picking Overeem but this is as close to a striker vs grappler match as it gets now a days. (Aside from Anderson vs Maia maybe.)
jae_1833
7/21/10 6:24:36PM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by jae_1833

Well, if nothing has changed on the elbow surgery front, I don't think Overeem will get his wish.

Sure he will, it's his wish to fight several different places in one year, and with Werdum on the back burner it gives him time for K-1.
icantthinkofanything
7/21/10 6:44:00PM
I see why he wants Werdum, but I am way impressed with Werdum. He beat Fedor, and in MMA slapping a sub on someone is impresive, just like ko'ing someone. Winning a ud is not as impresive as a finish imo, and people aren't giving Werdum the respect he deserves.

I wanna see Fedor vs Overeem
Werdum is injured and those 2 should stay busy
CCPRIDE99
7/21/10 10:41:11PM
fedor should not get a title shot after a loss. especially a stoppage. especially a first round stoppage. i dont care who he is thats just ridiculous
BlueSkiesBurn
7/21/10 10:44:28PM

Posted by CCPRIDE99

fedor should not get a title shot after a loss. especially a stoppage. especially a first round stoppage. i dont care who he is thats just ridiculous

Now you're just challenging the Strikeforce way of doing things.
c-dub
7/22/10 10:41:16AM
im also glad 2 c them using the #1 contender correctly. I never could understand why rogers got the title shot after fedor put him out they have done alot of stuff backwards latley its was like overeem was trying 2 dodge fedor and they give him brett instead.