Alistair Overeem returns at DREAM.12

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Alistair Overeem returns at DREAM.12
emfleek
10/19/09 2:59:05PM
In his sixth fight since winning Strikeforce's heavyweight title in November 2007, Alistair Overeem will again compete outside the U.S.-based promotion when he returns to Japan for the latest DREAM event.

Overeem (30-11) is the process of finalizing a bout to appear on the organization's DREAM.12 card, MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) has learned from multiple sources.

The event takes place next week, Oct. 25, at Osaka Castle Hall in Osaka, Japan, and airs live in North America on HDNet.

Two names have popped up as leading candidates to fight Overeem.

LINK
Wolf
10/19/09 3:19:16PM
So Overeem can make a fight on short notice happen in Japan, but he can't make something happen for the Nov 7 Strikforce card? That's B.S. I still think the whole talk of unifying dream/strikeforce titles is so fighters like Overeem can defend their titles in Japan where they don't have to worry about the strict testing here.
higdon10
10/19/09 4:32:41PM
I'm so sick of Overeem ducking the United States. Strikeforce needs to take that belt away from him. They have to much talent at HW to have their champion dodging their events.
JimiMak
10/19/09 4:42:53PM
JT takes this.
Rush
10/19/09 5:07:11PM

JT takes this fight and loses by yet another spectacular round 1 KO.

Fixed
CwB
10/19/09 6:51:45PM
Honestly, i would rather watch a chick-flic with my Gf, then see this fight. Both of them will put me to sleep either way...

Overeem's popularity is plummeting with these good for nothin fights.

Overeem- I have no time for Brett Rodgers title contention bull ****, i have to prepare for a nobody in my home country, then fight someone who has lost to the entire HW division including kimbo, in japan.
RMFG_187
10/19/09 7:32:33PM
I think allistair should relax and focus on K1 gp because it looks like he has a legitimate chance on winning it. Manhoef is out of Dream because of his K1 reserve match I think. But at the same time he needs to defend his strikeforce belt. Its a tough situation for him, and I wanna see where StrikeForce lands on his list of priorities
george112
10/19/09 7:47:15PM
i really starting to not like overeem.seriously dude you need to defend your title.im sure you have no problem wearing it around.yet you dont even defend it.

step in the cage already
The_Ho_Bag
10/19/09 8:26:23PM
tough luck for JT thats going to be 5 in a row
Gogoplatapus
10/19/09 10:13:18PM

Posted by CwB

Honestly, i would rather watch a chick-flic with my Gf, then see this fight. Both of them will put me to sleep either way...

Overeem's popularity is plummeting with these good for nothin fights.

Overeem- I have no time for Brett Rodgers title contention bull ****, i have to prepare for a nobody in my home country, then fight someone who has lost to the entire HW division including kimbo, in japan.

kasual
10/19/09 10:19:38PM
Wow ... James Thompson ...

Guy just comes to fight tomato cans every time. Hasn't had a real fight since '07, and even then it was Buentello. Last time he fought a real guy he got beat the **** up ... 4 times .. by 4 different real guys. I think we all know why this guy can't make a last minute fight happen in Strikeforce.

Just give him the nice long training camp he needs to come to the U.S. so we can see him get rocked and dropped and not have to see his ass again for a long time in this market. Back to Japan for you .. lots of opponents he would like to fight over there .. Sapp ... Thompson ... Nortje ... endless stream of Japanese body builders ... go nuts buddy. At least we know he will be good and ripped looking in Japan.
EvenFlow
10/19/09 10:34:54PM

Posted by RMFG_187

I think allistair should relax and focus on K1 gp because it looks like he has a legitimate chance on winning it. Manhoef is out of Dream because of his K1 reserve match I think. But at the same time he needs to defend his strikeforce belt. Its a tough situation for him, and I wanna see where StrikeForce lands on his list of priorities

Overeem wouldnt win the WGP even if he wasnt fighting MMA cans.
IriShame
10/19/09 10:35:29PM
Is this guy even trying to deny he's juicing anymore?
jae_1833
10/20/09 1:49:53AM
Man I wish they would set him up with better opponents! I think he gets either an easy UD or late KO vs Ricco, and probably a late 1st early 2nd rd KO over JTT. He needs to come back to the US where the HW Div is still breathing on it's own!

Edit: S/F not dropping him as the HW Champ is complete BS...it should be Fedor after he smashes Rogers!
kopower
10/20/09 10:24:04AM
Overeem's next few opponents

Sesame Street Fight Team

emfleek
10/20/09 10:32:08AM
I understand everyone's frustration with Overeem, but let's think before we post, guys. No fighter bashing, please. Thanks!
MrGreeny
10/20/09 11:21:57AM
Alistar should completely forget StrikeForce. He should concentrate on fighting in K-1. He KO'ed Badr ffs.
If he decides to compete in MMA, he should call Dana White.
1daveufc
10/20/09 2:31:26PM

Posted by kopower

Overeem's next few opponents

Sesame Street Fight Team

I think Bernie cud take him
cowcatcher
10/20/09 2:39:25PM
is bernie bert and ernies adopted son?
CwB
10/20/09 5:24:41PM

Posted by RMFG_187

I think he has a legit shot at winning the WGP too and im excited to see it. But i dont think he should soley focus on the tourny when, he has other commitments...

If he would just fight competition on his level in these other orgs it wouldnt be that big of an issue to postpone his title defense for as long as he has. But i always thought it was every Fighters goal/dream to be the best in the world, and Overeems recent fight decisions really make me question his motivation.

You can say that a big payday trumps all other motivations. But doesnt he see that, fighting in the US in Strikeforce ON CBS!!!( I know im not the only one to see all these fedor commercials on football Sunday) has the potential to launch his career/paydays through the roof.

Regarding his steroid allegation, (we all think/know he juices but he hasnt been caught yet) plenty of fighters in the US cycle roids and get away with it. Just sign a fight date and if he is juicing do whats necessary to get by it.
(I dont think i have ever condoned the use of steroids, but in this case i am desperate to see him in strikeforce)

Its funny, Dana's exclusive contracts have never looked so brilliant...

P.S. sorry if my earlier comments bashed Overeem or his future opponents...
kopower
10/20/09 5:28:38PM
Bert and Ernie's relationship has been well documented. I guess Bernie is their love child.

If Overeem or any fighter in general had a cookie in his hand I might have to give the edge to cookie monster. That guy goes berserk. He might get dq'd for biting off Overeem's hand though
MMAPHEEN
10/20/09 10:51:41PM
I cant wait for the day when this guy comes to the ufc and gets DOMINATED. I would love to see todd duffy just run through this guy. In my opionion this guy is nothing but a juiced up k1 fighter.