Alistair Overeem Responds to Junior dos Santos: ‘I Think He’s Afraid to Fight Me’

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Alistair Overeem Responds to Junior dos Santos: ‘I Think He’s Afraid to Fight Me’
prophecy033
8/7/12 11:05:39PM
Last weekend following the action at UFC on Fox 4, UFC President Dana White revealed the news that heavyweight champion Junior dos Santos has requested to face Alistair Overeem next instead of Cain Velasquez.

Velasquez was the de facto No. 1 contender after his win at UFC 146, and originally he was rumored to face the man that took the UFC heavyweight title from him at UFC 152 in Toronto this September.

Delays kept happening and the fight never materialized, but then it was revealed that dos Santos had asked to face Overeem instead because he was a ‘punk’ and had been running his mouth too much of late.

Now Overeem has responded after speaking to UFC Tonight, and his belief is that dos Santos really doesn’t want the fight to happen in the first place.

Link
infestructure
8/7/12 11:22:57PM
Yeah because Dos Santos is acting SO afraid
Twenty20Dollars
8/7/12 11:28:32PM
Yes, b/c Junior didn't just say that he would rather face Overeem.

Michael_Corleone
8/7/12 11:37:43PM
Overeem is writing a check that his ass can't cash, he better be careful!
prophecy033
8/7/12 11:47:58PM
Look, neither guy is afraid of the other and that is a win/win for us all. If/When they finally meet, we're gonna see some big ass dudes with heavy hands going after it and I'm gonna be on the edge of my seat waiting for one of them to go timber
george112
8/7/12 11:50:24PM
This is JDS after reading that article

Twenty20Dollars
8/8/12 12:16:23AM

Posted by Michael_Corleone

I see it more as Overeem trying to talk his way back into the title shot he lost out on.
FastKnockout
8/8/12 12:22:48AM
Can't wait to see his face once Junior puts his hands on him.
meier
8/8/12 1:35:37AM
Cain 1st overeem 2nd(if he gets past the 1st)
Boo_Radley21
8/8/12 1:41:34AM
Look I'm the number one heavyweight you gotta go through me he says

If being number one meant you had the most juice pumping through your veins

Only kidding....that means its not fighter bashing right?
tcunningham
8/8/12 2:04:06AM
i think overeem has one of the best chances of taking junior out. everybody is gonna talk shit about overeem since the drug pop but i think bottom line is juniors belt is going to be in serious jeopardy. overeem has proved that he can hurt people on the feet at the highest level.
Sir_Karl
8/8/12 2:29:19AM
Overeem has it backwards. The reality of the situation is that Junior is number 1 and if Overeem wants to be number one he is going to have to go through Junior. Overeem is trying to pull the old "flip" like he always does. Overeem always flips everything on the other guy. Drama follows Overeem around like a shadow. I think rightfully Cain is getting the shot first and no matter who wins between Junior and Cain I hope the winner closes Overeem's mouth once and for all. Yawn.
Twenty20Dollars
8/8/12 2:48:16AM

Posted by tcunningham

i think overeem has one of the best chances of taking junior out. everybody is gonna talk shit about overeem since the drug pop but i think bottom line is juniors belt is going to be in serious jeopardy. overeem has proved that he can hurt people on the feet at the highest level.

Also proven that he can be finished as well.
sparky
8/8/12 6:56:58AM

Being the PG's biggest R33M fan I have to disagree.

Alistair is selling the fight and doing a great job at it. He's already got JDS interested to the point where he is asking uncle Dana to set up the fight right when Overeem is back!!!!!

WAR R33M

george112
8/8/12 7:23:59AM

Posted by sparky

Alistair is selling the fight and doing a great job at it. He's already got JDS interested to the point where he is asking uncle Dana to set up the fight right when Overeem is back!!!!!

WAR R33M

I get he's selling the fight and what not. But you really think he deserves a title shot?

I say when he comes back let him have a contenders match to prove his "therapy" really didn't affect his performance
papercut
8/8/12 1:41:57PM

Posted by george112

Posted by sparky

WAR R33M

I get he's selling the fight and what not. But you really think he deserves a title shot?

I say when he comes back let him have a contenders match to prove his "therapy" really didn't affect his performance

technically, the shot was his after he beat brock. but was given away due to his suspension. I'd rather see Overeem fight him rather than cCain again. what can Cain do this time that he didn't last time? shoot for an immediate td? stand and try not to get ko'd? I'd rather see someone who has a legitimate chance at beating JDS at his own game.
machodog76
8/8/12 3:17:44PM
"Nobody calls me chicken" Marty Mcfly.
Michael_Corleone
8/8/12 11:18:33PM

Posted by sparky

WAR R33M