Alistair Overeem Officially A Blackzilian

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Alistair Overeem Officially A Blackzilian
FastKnockout
2/13/12 5:33:38PM
Amidst a long and public dispute with Golden Glory that has yet to be resolved, it appears that UFC Heavyweight #1 contender Alistair Overeem has signed with Authentic Sports Management, and will begin training in Florida alongside Anthony Johnson, Rashad Evans, and Melvin Guillard.

LINK
BlueSkiesBurn
2/13/12 5:36:05PM
Welp, I'll be picking Junior dos Santos now.
DeadHead988
2/13/12 5:53:51PM
Other than Rashad, the Blackzilians don't have the best track record so far. A very surprising move from Overeem.
Budgellism
2/13/12 5:55:32PM
I didn't see this coming.
BeeR
2/13/12 5:57:36PM
let the losing begin....
Manak
2/13/12 6:06:04PM
feel this is a dumb move on overeem's part, should have either stayed with GG or continued with extreme couture. like someone said, who do they have outside of rashad???
BeeR
2/13/12 6:40:55PM
the hamburgler....I mean, Anthony Johnson.
emfleek
2/13/12 7:15:28PM
He's not a Blackzilian, really. They're paying him to train there...not to train *with* them.
Geoffo
2/13/12 8:25:35PM
Stupid move IMO, who is there to train with that are heavyweights? Rumble Johnson on his skinniest day?
Bubbles
2/13/12 11:38:30PM
bad move at this point in time. he needs to train with strong boxing partners as well as legit brown/black belts in BJJ to properly prepare for JDS.
lohmann
2/13/12 11:48:35PM

Wenk handling my PR and Karen Gough running marketing, a full-time nutritionist, a finance and legal department – you name it they have it.

I wonder how much of this is motivated by the "legal department." Overeem needs one at this point in his career. Maybe he revealed that himself, in just a few words:

When I came to South Florida, with ASM, I saw right away they are not only a management company, but an organization that makes sure that everything besides fighting is being taken care of.
LuckyCharms
2/14/12 12:04:49AM

Posted by Bubbles

bad move at this point in time. he needs to train with strong boxing partners as well as legit brown/black belts in BJJ to properly prepare for JDS.

There are a handful of Black Belts in BJJ at Blackzillian. Two of them happen to be my Coaches(or Former Coaches) Danillo Villefort and Fabio Mello. Along with Danillo Villefort younger brother Yuri Villefort whose a Brown Belt in BJJ. I've personally roll with all three of them and stood no chance .

If you meant Black/Brown Belts in AO weight class. Then I do agree with you on that.

----On the other side of the Note-----

Viva la Blackzillian !
RhythmAndStyle
2/14/12 2:12:47AM
i think ppl tend to forget that Overeem has always had his OWN team of trainers and partners that travel with him..when Overeem was still under the banner of GG, he stated a few times that it wouldnt be a problem if him and Schilt fought, cuz they both have they're own trainers and parnters, trainin at different gyms, but they were just both manage by GG..and thats the same unit he takes with him err'where..if u go thur his Reem vids, its the same unit as always, even before and after the Lesnar fight..but imo, Cigano boxin is the difference maker..but i hope that my 2 top hws end the world with this match!
State_Champ
2/14/12 9:20:06AM
So you need to be black OR Brazilian?
Good to know.

Alistair,

I'll be picking Cigano.
I was going to pick Cigano before, but I'm going to pick him even more now.
Bubbles
2/14/12 11:58:53AM

Posted by LuckyCharms

Posted by Bubbles

There are a handful of Black Belts in BJJ at Blackzillian. Two of them happen to be my Coaches(or Former Coaches) Danillo Villefort and Fabio Mello. Along with Danillo Villefort younger brother Yuri Villefort whose a Brown Belt in BJJ. I've personally roll with all three of them and stood no chance .

If you meant Black/Brown Belts in AO weight class. Then I do agree with you on that.

yeah that's what I meant. AO needs someone at least 230lbs to prepare him for JDS who IMO will shoot for a couple takedowns and use his BJJ advantage
Pookie
2/14/12 7:28:57PM
I think it's silly to assume JDS has the better Jui-jitsu, when we haven't even seen him use it. Especially considering how good Overeem's bjj is.

Regardless it's irrelevant IMO, As the fight is more than likely to stay on the feet.

Overeem should be training with boxers first and foremost to get accustomed to how he can counter it with his Muay Thai.

Bubbles
2/14/12 10:38:26PM
from all the talk from the Nog's, I would assume it is pretty good. Overeem off his back isnt the same as Ubereem off his back

yeah boxing trainers are the key component, but you have to prepare for everything. JDS has probably the best boxing in the HW division, but Overeem is a world champion kickboxer so the disparity there is much different than it was vs Nelson or Velasquez or Gonzaga