Alistair Overeem granted conditional license for UFC 141, facing four drug tests

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Alistair Overeem granted conditional license for UFC 141, facing four drug tests
grappler0000
12/12/11 8:11:49PM
For now, at least, former Strikeforce champion Alistair Overeem (35-11 MMA, 0-0 UFC) will face Brock Lesnar (5-2 MMA, 4-2 UFC) in the main event of December's UFC 141 event.

The Nevada State Athletic Commission today granted Overeem a conditional license to face Lesnar on Dec. 30, subject to a pre-fight drug test to be submitted in Europe within the next 72 hours, as well as an additional screen submitted in the U.S. when the Dutch heavyweight arrives for the contest.

Overeem's conditional license also includes two post-fight drug screen orders, to be completed less than six months after the bout.

The decision was made during Monday's Nevada State Athletic Commission monthly meeting, which took place at the Grant Sawyer State Office Building in Las Vegas.

Overeem's status for the bout was in doubt after he failed to comply with out-of-competition testing ordered by the NSAC on Nov. 17...

Full Story
Redkayak
12/12/11 10:28:14PM
UberKnee
tallica62
12/12/11 11:04:11PM
Overroids
papercut
12/12/11 11:24:42PM
does it surprise anyone that it seems overeem is the only one ever facing the roid bash? and yet he has never tested positive for them. no one questions mirs rapid muscle/size growth. what makes overeem the scapegoat? he took a couple years to put on the size he has.

anyone with an understanding of weightlifting and body types would see its not hard for a mesomorphic body type to grow. and with the proper diet and training regime its very plausible he never touched any steroids or hgh to make his gains.
tcunningham
12/13/11 12:13:08AM
i dont know if overeem is or has done roids, but if something happens and i dont get to see him smash lesnar, i will be seriously pissed. ive waited to long to see if overeem can live up to the hype in the ufc.
mattjonesy
12/13/11 12:14:17AM

Posted by papercut

does it surprise anyone that it seems overeem is the only one ever facing the roid bash? and yet he has never tested positive for them. no one questions mirs rapid muscle/size growth. what makes overeem the scapegoat? he took a couple years to put on the size he has.

anyone with an understanding of weightlifting and body types would see its not hard for a mesomorphic body type to grow. and with the proper diet and training regime its very plausible he never touched any steroids or hgh to make his gains.

Yeh its plausible he never touched steroids but if people see quick muscle gains its only natural to think steroids. Infact if people see anyone with bigger than average muscles they think steroids!

Wish he was still skinny. All that experience in K1 and decent ground game it could have been a war with Jon Jones!
jae_1833
12/13/11 12:43:01AM
I think 4 tests is a little much and I am all about random testing. Roids dont clear out real quick like coke or marijuana. I think he should makes up the miss and have the pre and posts test like everyone else....I am willing to better that Lesnar has actually done roids before too. The WWE is infamous for it!
KungFuMaster
12/13/11 1:00:01AM
This is great news. Overeem vs Brock should be an entertaining fight regardless of how fast it might end.
Adrenaline
12/13/11 3:00:20AM

Posted by papercut

I'm with ya, it seems like they really have a hard on for Overeem and it's likely based on speculation. His physique is impressive and the fact that he has mostly been an "international" fighter probably has a part to play in this and rightly so but this is all a little over kill in my opinion. As has been mentioned, he has never failed a test and has been licensed before in the US without issue. They are either playing into the rumors or they are making an example out of him for submitting a test that was not up to their standards. The timing of his departure was not ideal and I can see why some might be suspicious but until he fails a test, the scrutiny is beyond what the majority of fighters have to go through. Hell maybe he does fail a test, I don't know but until then cut the guy some slack.

Anyway Lesner vs Overeem
Manak
12/13/11 3:32:58AM
this article from espn sheds so more light on this
http://espn.go.com/mma/story/_/id/7347152/alistair-overeem-meet-brock-lesnar-main-event-ufc-141

his mom got sick so he went back to holland (for those who dont read the article, his mom has had an ongoing battle went cancer) n during that travel time he was asked to submit a urine test he. But by the time he heard bout it, it was late so he submitted a blood test which came back clean but since they wanted a urine test the athletic commission went gay (apparently a blood test is to conclusive) and said all this stuff since the blood test, that was clean, was not a urine test.

seems like the AC is just being dumb as usual if all the things said by overeem are true as stated in this article

Edit: also it says the UFC contacted MIR if the AC bones alistair
BeeR
12/13/11 6:09:00AM

Posted by Manak

this article from espn sheds so more light on this
http://espn.go.com/mma/story/_/id/7347152/alistair-overeem-meet-brock-lesnar-main-event-ufc-141

his mom got sick so he went back to holland (for those who dont read the article, his mom has had an ongoing battle went cancer) n during that travel time he was asked to submit a urine test he. But by the time he heard bout it, it was late so he submitted a blood test which came back clean but since they wanted a urine test the athletic commission went gay (apparently a blood test is to conclusive) and said all this stuff since the blood test, that was clean, was not a urine test.

seems like the AC is just being dumb as usual if all the things said by overeem are true as stated in this article

Edit: also it says the UFC contacted MIR if the AC bones alistair

he submitted a blood test that he said his physician administered it, then a testing facility, when he said there wasnt one in the area to give a urine sample...., yet he submitted blood, and he really stumbled around who administered the test whe he was questioned about it on the phone
I think thats why Keith brought it to the AC

He's been submitting samples for years, he knows the routine, they ask for a urine sample, give it to them, dont submit a completely different kind of specimen, and then beat around the bush when asked who administered it. its enough to draw suspicion IMO. asking for 4 tests is a little much, have him tested again, and after the fight and go from there.
Sir_Karl
12/13/11 9:21:49AM
You guys can defend Overeem all you want but this quote strikes a chord that can't be forgotten or shooed away....."Overeem's status for the bout was in doubt after he failed to comply with out-of-competition testing ordered by the NSAC on Nov. 17..."
Why would he fail to comply? Seems rather odd. What is he hiding? As far as bringing Mir up goes....that is ridiculous. Mir has not gotten big fast. If you have been paying attention you would see that Mir has only packed on a little muscle and it took a few years for him to do it. Mir turned some of his chunk into muscle and it wasn't a very quick process. I think 4 drug tests for Overeem (I like to call him "Overrated") is perfectly justifiable.
prozacnation1978
12/13/11 9:34:22AM
Talk about dodging a bullet!!

He seemed guilty to me. The way he acted
State_Champ
12/13/11 10:25:15AM

Posted by prozacnation1978

Talk about dodging a bullet!!

He seemed guilty to me. The way he acted

It does seem that way.

But appearances can be deceiving.

I hope he's not doing anything illegal and i hope we get to see Overeem fight many time in the UFC.
Adam_Buru
12/13/11 11:21:24AM

Posted by mattjonesy

Wish he was still skinny. All that experience in K1 and decent ground game it could have been a war with Jon Jones!

Overeem was garbage when he was skinny.
Bubbles
12/13/11 11:38:11AM

Posted by Sir_Karl

You guys can defend Overeem all you want but this quote strikes a chord that can't be forgotten or shooed away....."Overeem's status for the bout was in doubt after he failed to comply with out-of-competition testing ordered by the NSAC on Nov. 17..."
Why would he fail to comply? Seems rather odd. What is he hiding? As far as bringing Mir up goes....that is ridiculous. Mir has not gotten big fast. If you have been paying attention you would see that Mir has only packed on a little muscle and it took a few years for him to do it. Mir turned some of his chunk into muscle and it wasn't a very quick process. I think 4 drug tests for Overeem (I like to call him "Overrated") is perfectly justifiable.

Mir jacked himself up like 25 pounds between the Lesnar and Kongo fight. thats quite a bit in a 4 month training camp where he also has to prepare for his next fight
grappler0000
12/13/11 12:15:05PM

Posted by Manak

Posted by BeeR

he submitted a blood test that he said his physician administered it, then a testing facility, when he said there wasnt one in the area to give a urine sample...., yet he submitted blood, and he really stumbled around who administered the test whe he was questioned about it on the phone
I think thats why Keith brought it to the AC

He's been submitting samples for years, he knows the routine, they ask for a urine sample, give it to them, dont submit a completely different kind of specimen, and then beat around the bush when asked who administered it. its enough to draw suspicion IMO. asking for 4 tests is a little much, have him tested again, and after the fight and go from there.

Based on the perception that people seem to have following articles written on the matter, I'd say it would probably be best to either listen to the audio or find a transcript of the hearing. There are several key components missing from both of these posts. Missing small details changes everything with something like this.
tallica62
12/13/11 12:15:49PM
in the end, i could care less who does/does not do roids. It has its goods and bads...and 99% of the time, the better fighter will win with or without roids
Manak
12/13/11 2:40:11PM

Posted by Adam_Buru

Posted by mattjonesy

Overeem was garbage when he was skinny.

I remember him saying the main reason he went to HW was he could not handle the cut anymore..

plus if anyone has every been to the Netherlands, it is scary how big the Dutch are, I'm 6'1" 195 lbs and i felt like a midget every where i went.

but now i deff dont think he can make the cut plus like it was stated he has never failed a drug test so ill give him the benefit of the doubt till I hear otherwise