Alistair Overeem vs. Fabricio Werdum is "a direction" for Strikeforce future

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Alistair Overeem vs. Fabricio Werdum is "a direction" for Strikeforce future
Twenty20Dollars
4/12/09 1:35:11PM
linkage

SAN JOSE, Calif. - Following Saturday night's "Strikeforce: Shamrock vs. Diaz" event at the HP Pavilion in San Jose, Calif., the organization began to create buzz for future events by tossing around a few potential bouts.

One potential matchup discussed at the evening's post-event press conference that created immediate buzz was the return of Strikeforce heavyweight champion Alistair Overeem (29-11) against UFC and PRIDE veteran Fabricio Werdum (11-4-1).

While Werdum wasn't announced as an official signing, Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker suggested the bout was a strong possibility.

Overeem has fought twice for Strikeforce, defeating Vitor Belfort in 2006 as well as earning the organization's first heavyweight title by beating Paul Buentello in November 2007. The Dutch striker has yet to defend the title but has suggested in recent interviews he's intending to do so in June.
TimW001
4/12/09 1:36:23PM
If Alistair wins, he better be in the UFC now.

War Overeem.
SpiderSilva
4/12/09 1:38:03PM
after seeing Arlovski at the show i was hoping for a fight between the 2
Twenty20Dollars
4/12/09 1:48:43PM
This seems like the logical fight for the SF HW title, make the fight happen on the June 6th event, that would be 3 title fights on one card.

Or make it happen on the August card.
SmileR
4/12/09 1:55:50PM
Arlovski Vs Overeem would be awesome!!!
Arlovski would get the win though!
postman
4/12/09 1:56:16PM

Posted by TimW001

War Overeem.

You do realize that SF is its own company not a minor league for the UFC. He is the StrikeForce HW Champ. He is under a contract and weather he wins that fight or not has no thing to do with him going to the UFC. SF prob would let him fight in the UFC but The UFC dosn't co promote so unless his contract is up hes not going to the UFC.
TimW001
4/12/09 2:16:23PM

Posted by postman

Posted by TimW001

War Overeem.

You do realize that SF is its own company not a minor league for the UFC. He is the StrikeForce HW Champ. He is under a contract and weather he wins that fight or not has no thing to do with him going to the UFC. SF prob would let him fight in the UFC but The UFC dosn't co promote so unless his contract is up hes not going to the UFC.

I infact do realize that. And it doesn't change my opinion.
Blizzard
4/12/09 2:36:23PM
I like this match up, both have good stand up and ground games.

I like the direction Strikeforce is going, Overeem back, Werdum, Randleman, and possible match ups with Affliction guys WOW.
loller90278
4/12/09 2:45:45PM
werdum said he's going to take home overeems other arm this time around !!
mkiv9secsupra
4/12/09 3:13:17PM
I feel sorry for Werdum if they do fight now. Fabricio is going to have to eat through a straw for weeks....
sparky
4/12/09 4:36:21PM
I hope Overeem knocks Werdum out COLD!!!!!
SpiderSilva
4/12/09 6:38:02PM
anyone have a link to the first fight
prozacnation1978
4/12/09 6:54:56PM
that would be a GREAT fight
i do think alistair will knock him out
SpiderSilva
4/12/09 7:11:11PM
after watching the first fight Werdum will get manhandled worse than last time plus I dont see Overeem making the mistake of taking him down again
LakieMan
4/12/09 8:35:21PM
I am going to say Overeem by a KO.
StPierreCanada
4/13/09 1:51:57PM
I would love to see this. It could go either way.
HulkRage
4/13/09 3:22:40PM
Nice rematch, I think this time around Overeem will TKO Werdum.
Werdum has skills, but Alistair has been on a terror since going full on with the HW division.
bls1919
4/13/09 5:20:06PM
Werdum would have a lot more trouble with Alistair this time around. As to Overeem in the UFC.....I dont think it will happen. He likes to fight in Japan and under UFC contract that would not be happening