Alistair Overeem, Brett Rogers May Not Be Drug Tested for Strikeforce Bout

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Alistair Overeem, Brett Rogers May Not Be Drug Tested for Strikeforce Bout
Jshep714
5/13/10 4:11:29PM
Alistair Overeem and Brett Rogers may be fighting for the Stikeforce heavyweight title in St. Louis on Saturday night, but it doesn't necessarily mean they'll have to undergo pre or post-fight drug tests to do it.

Despite the title being on the line, and despite widespread questions about Overeem's growth in recent years (including a remark from Rogers about his opponent's "eastern diet"), Tim Lueckenhoff of the Missouri Office of Athletics confirmed that there is no guarantee that any particular fighter will be tested for banned substances, championship bout or no.

LINK
BlueSkiesBurn
5/13/10 7:07:25PM

He must hang out with Vince McMahon
george112
5/13/10 9:01:00PM
hmm what a coincidence ay

CwB
5/13/10 9:36:47PM
That has to be one of the stupidest things I have heard in a while...
zxandu
5/13/10 10:12:27PM
Wow, that IS the stupidest thing I have read in a while.
Meanrighthand88
5/13/10 10:18:08PM
Seems pretty ridiculous to me. Not testing in the States? Seems very weird.
sbulldavid
5/13/10 10:48:50PM
That stuff usually doesn't fly in the larger states, does Missouri have an athletic commision?
Wolf
5/13/10 11:32:44PM
It's not uncommon to not test all fighters at an event. It's usually random...EXCEPT for title fights. AFAIK both fighters in a title fight are ALWAYS tested.

this is shady as hell.
BlueSkiesBurn
5/13/10 11:34:46PM
I can see not testing them (not really but work with me here) but announcing that you WON'T be testing them is dumb as sh*t.
BustedKnuckle
5/14/10 9:47:41PM
Somthing smells fishy. Why come out and say this. It strikes me as very odd. I hope they do screen. I think all fighters post fight should have to submit a urine sample. Before leaving the building. Unless Medical issues warrant otherwise. Totaly level the playing field. The cost would be high butif it keeps the integrity of the sport in high favor.....whats to discuss!!
Kpro
5/14/10 10:14:04PM
As the fighters on Saturday night's Strikeforce: Heavy Artillery card filed out of the Scottrade Center and back to their hotel after Friday afternoon's weigh-ins, their work for the day wasn't quite finished.

According to Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker, once back at the hotel all fighters were required to submit to drug tests administered internally by the Strikeforce organization via a local independent laboratory.

"It wasn't based on any one specific fighter," Coker told MMA Fighting. "It was just the right thing to do. It's so all the fighters, all the fans, and all the media know what's going on. I talked to all the fighters about it and they were all fine with it."

Coker said the decision to conduct the independent tests has been in the works for at least a week, and was spurred on in part by the Missouri Office of Athletics' policy of conducting only random testing.

"I know that the commission here is doing random testing, but we didn't want to leave it up to that," said Coker. "People were asking, 'Why aren't you testing Alistair Overeem?' Hey, I didn't know. It's not up to me. So we just said, let's test everybody, make sure the playing field is even."

SOURCE

/End Thread
Kpro
5/14/10 10:17:19PM
The Overeem piss is sealed in a cylindrical container being tested at an independent laboratory that we will see the results from in 2 weeks (barring Machida breaking into the lab to re-hydrate)

I hope we can all sleep easier tonight.
BlueSkiesBurn
5/14/10 10:44:34PM

God damn you, I already propped you. I am seriously dying from laughter right now.
BustedKnuckle
5/14/10 11:21:54PM
I opt to think that if they say it.... they did it. StrikeForce saw what happened to EliteXC when they unraveled...and definatly dont want to repeat!! I want AO to take a test and pass! Seriously.......wont you be thrown back if AO fails...as a fan of combat sports. The man is a stud and i hope to beat hell he isn't cheating!!