Alexander on his back!!!

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Alexander on his back!!!
« Previous Page
Scott_Revels
11/18/07 7:15:30PM

Posted by cmill21

Posted by Scott_Revels

I'm not trying to be mean, but at this point, he's on par to be the next "Tank" Abbott or Butterbean. He's either going to have to learn to fight back on the ground, or he's going to keep losing (unless the UFC keeps putting him up against strikers, which would be complete bullshit.). After that, he's looking at the same career as "Tank" and Butterbean..

Well he hasn't lost either of his last two fights on the ground, his last two fights have been against strikers, his success came from his ability to dominate wrestlers with strikes and being able to stand up. His most noteable win against a striker was overeem, who was over cutting and still was beating him up pretty good before chuck caught him with a good shot.

Can I ask who your talking about? Alexander? Abbott? Butterbean? Martian Manhunter? Paris Hilton? Who?
Tailgunner
11/18/07 7:16:00PM

Posted by SpiderSilva

I never thought he was overrated people just jumped to conclutions that he was better than he was. I never even thought he was a top 15 fighter two wins shows nothing these days

Unless you are a Matt Serra nuthugger......Half the people here think Serra is the number 1 WW in the world and he only won 1 fight!

Houston Alexander needs to learn some BJJ pronto vilo.
Scott_Revels
11/18/07 7:24:40PM
I'm not a Matt Serra nuthugger and I believe he is the #1 WW, at least in the UFC. If you beat GSP the former #1 WW, then you are the #1 WW, again at least in the UFC. If you hold the UFC Welterweight Championship, then your the best WW/#1 WW in the UFC, and maybe even the world.
Rauger
11/18/07 7:37:01PM
I am surprised that people are surprised how bad houston is off his back. I cant believe people actually thought he was legit ...
Scott_Revels
11/18/07 7:49:30PM
I knew he was bad on the ground. I just didn't expect him to clinch with Silva, but instead go out there looking to hurt him. I knew he was eventually going to lose to a guy with any skills on the ground, but I hoped it wasn't so soon. Now I am, because i've given Thiago Silva this Assassin like mystique that is so much more appealing that Houston's "I gave up a kidney for one of my 600 kids." (I know it's 6, so shut up and don't correct me. )
cmill21
11/18/07 8:03:29PM

Posted by Scott_Revels

Posted by cmill21

Posted by Scott_Revels

I'm not trying to be mean, but at this point, he's on par to be the next "Tank" Abbott or Butterbean. He's either going to have to learn to fight back on the ground, or he's going to keep losing (unless the UFC keeps putting him up against strikers, which would be complete bullshit.). After that, he's looking at the same career as "Tank" and Butterbean..

Well he hasn't lost either of his last two fights on the ground, his last two fights have been against strikers, his success came from his ability to dominate wrestlers with strikes and being able to stand up. His most noteable win against a striker was overeem, who was over cutting and still was beating him up pretty good before chuck caught him with a good shot.

Can I ask who your talking about? Alexander? Abbott? Butterbean? Martian Manhunter? Paris Hilton? Who?

Wow did I mess up lol. I thought u were talking about chuck for some reason.
Scott_Revels
11/18/07 8:24:05PM
I wondered because none of the people you mentioned had anything to do with Alexander.
stickyhash421
11/18/07 8:41:59PM
its not alexanders fault that thiago is badass, if he wouldnt have gotten in the clinch his chances of winning were greater and the fight ended like houston said it would...first round knockout "thats what the fans paid there har..hard earned cash to see" says houston
Scott_Revels
11/18/07 8:43:53PM
The thing is though.. HOUSTON INITIATED THE CLINCHES. Houston was the one grabbing Thiago. He just took advantage of it. Houston looked amateurish in there with Silva.
jgordon85
11/18/07 11:27:59PM
hype, reality, and the truth. i knew that he had no ground skills at all. houston would be great for ufc 1-6? just all brawl for it all standup with no ground game. go silva
ncordless
11/18/07 11:36:36PM

Posted by jgordon85

hype, reality, and the truth. i knew that he had no ground skills at all. houston would be great for ufc 1-6? just all brawl for it all standup with no ground game. go silva

Excessive emote alert!!!
Excessive emote alert!!!

You have been fined 4 props!
The_hungry_lumberjack
11/19/07 12:24:42AM
The ground game is a tough thing to learn for a guy who only started training seriously in the last 2 years. He probably has basic wrestling and intro submission skills. I am not surprised at all by what happened but I'm dissapointed that his coaches didn't focus a lot more on bridging, escaping from mount, and takedown defense. Houston should be fighting a strategy like lidell used to. Sprawl the hell out of anyone who tries to take you down, if you get taken down get back up fast and keep throwing strikes where you're strong. If he had done that it would have been a much more exciting fight.
Pitbull09
11/19/07 3:35:21AM

Posted by Tailgunner

Posted by SpiderSilva

I never thought he was overrated people just jumped to conclutions that he was better than he was. I never even thought he was a top 15 fighter two wins shows nothing these days

Unless you are a Matt Serra nuthugger......Half the people here think Serra is the number 1 WW in the world and he only won 1 fight!

Houston Alexander needs to learn some BJJ pronto vilo.

Having faith in Matt Serra is the equivalence of this
>>> X100
rameydl8
11/19/07 8:41:26AM

Posted by Trapt1nw0nder

T Silva is a f.ucking beast!!

I should of put all my money on him instead of Bisping

i did put all my money on him and i love the way it turned out.....
cowcatcher
11/19/07 10:18:02AM
this fight was over from the get go when HA came out tentatively, had he rushed in and traded with silva, he would have had a much better shot. i picked silva by 1st rd. sub because i thought if it went to the ground HA would be a fish, and he basically was. in a way im glad he lost so i dont have to hear how hes the next champ after only 2 fights, but now everyone seems to be saying "i knew he wasnt any good" and i think that might actually be worse. either way, HA will get some more ufc fights because hes exciting, not a great, well-rounded fighter, but hes good and brings with him the chance for a 30 second KO every time hes in there. as for silva, hes reckless, and doesnt always use his best weapon(BJJ) but this guy is going to be a contender very soon at 205.
State_Champ
11/19/07 10:32:57AM
HA is a powerful striker and i personally didn't think he would be very good on the ground (and definitely not better than Thiago) but i certainly didn't not expect as little ground skill as he showed. Anyone in the UFC at this point should have more ground skills than he exhibited. It was just sad.....

I'm just surpised that HA was soooo horrible on the ground. It was really pathetic
hippysmacker
11/19/07 2:34:09PM

Posted by rcg916

Wow. I really need to avoid forums for a while...

Yesterday:

Alexander is the real deal!!! Hes the best!!! Title shot!!! Blah blah!!!

Today:

Well, it was obvious that he has no ground game. I knew it was all hype.. blah blah.

God, MMA fan gets on my nerves.

One of the truest things ever said . Some people are always ready to turn on someone , and also ready to jump on a bandwagon.
rcg916
11/19/07 2:59:04PM

Posted by jgordon85

i knew that he had no ground skills at all.

Riiiiiight.
Scott_Revels
11/19/07 4:01:45PM
After seeing the Houston/Chuck Parmelee video I posted in the video section, I knew he didn't have any ground game. The only reason I picked him was because I had hoped he would come out swinging and knock out Silva before he could get him down. The opposite of what I wanted Houston to do happened.. I expected him to quickly knock Silva out, and then maybe in his next fight, be found out.. I doubted how quickly Silva could take him down as well.. I thought maybe Houston had gained a little Sprawl, but nope.. I knew that Houston wasn't "title shot" material, but I had hoped he'd win again, before being found out..

RCG believe it or not..
Pages: 1 [2]