Alexander on his back!!!

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Alexander on his back!!!
Next Page »
State_Champ
11/18/07 2:05:50AM
WTF was with alexander houston!?!

Seriously, he showed not just a lack of ground skills but a total lack of any ground skills at all!!

What happened!?!
State_Champ
11/18/07 2:06:39AM
I meant houston alexander.
cmill21
11/18/07 2:08:21AM
Well a heavy handed BJJ BB got on top of him and hammerd away.
Styles
11/18/07 2:08:56AM
I am not surprised at all. He is a striker, and finally fought a ground fighter. I am happy about the outcome.
puppetmaster837
11/18/07 2:10:08AM
And wasnt he saying how his ground game is as good as anyone in the UFC? HA! Thiago mounted him with ease and knocked him out, that was some nice ground and pound.
tuvok500
11/18/07 2:16:29AM
I was surprise by the fact that instead of going for the KO like normally !! LOL he goes for the clinch and was unable to do what he wanted to do i don't know but it was a joke !

houston on his back was looking like a fish out of water and i was stunted by how easy it was for silva to get full mount and after that it was over !! LOl

Trapt1nw0nder
11/18/07 2:28:57AM
T Silva is a f.ucking beast!!

I should of put all my money on him instead of Bisping
SpiderSilva
11/18/07 2:35:23AM
I dont think he said that
more like he had a ground game
well after watching countdown it looked like he just works out a lot
well hell be back after they fix is face
well good luck HA in the future
BerndRealBad
11/18/07 2:47:42AM
Well Houston beat Jardine up from the clinch, and Sakara if you look at the fights. The clinch is where Houston does the most damage. In a way that reminded me a lot of Franklin in the fight with Anderson Silva. Franklin does very well with the clinch...against guys who have none to speak of. Like Rich, Houston just clinched with the wrong dude. But yeah, Thiago is a beast, and just turned 25, which is damn scary.
ncordless
11/18/07 3:33:06AM
I can't quite understand what Houston was thinking. He has won big fights by just bumrushing his opponents and hockeyfighting them into oblivion. Yet, against Silva, who, like any Chuteboxe guy, would be more than willing to just let fists fly and see what happens. Yet Houston goes for the takedown and gets himself into a world where he has no business against a real BJJ BB. He should've just kept with his punchers chance that he has relied on to get him there.
Kastro
11/18/07 5:25:19AM
Check back at the UFC 78 prediction posts I totally predicted Thiago Silva to run through Alexander.. anyone with a logical and firm sense of MMA knowledge would have seen this coming..
Svartorm
11/18/07 6:21:12AM
Hopefully he'll get with a decent fight team after this fight and come back with some ground defense. If his coach hasn't shown him an elbow escape by now, its time to seek greener pastures.

The fight was worth it to me just to see him chokeslam Thiago though. I've never seen that happen outside of pro-wrestling.
nickcuc547
11/18/07 8:28:26AM
silva prove that houston needs some serious work, the guy needs to train his ground game big time because he was embarrased by a much more rounded thiago silva. you gotta give houston one more shot at a good fighter though, maybe a guy who can grapple (bonnar?), and if he gets embarrased again he is demoted to fighting cans for highlight reel ko's until he can get any semblance of a ground game.
Sheddy
11/18/07 9:02:36AM
I'm glad the Houston hype has been put to rest.
More than stand up is needed in this game.
D0wnUnd6e6r
11/18/07 9:25:56AM
Well, I guess all we saw last night was the one and only TRUE overrated one dimensional houston alexander . Can't do nothing else than KO from the feet.
wolfman
11/18/07 12:19:03PM

Posted by Kastro

Check back at the UFC 78 prediction posts I totally predicted Thiago Silva to run through Alexander.. anyone with a logical and firm sense of MMA knowledge would have seen this coming..

Bow down to the god I checked your predictions, you did say he was going to run through him. However, picking Thiago to win by a 3rd sub doesn't sound like he would have run through him. A first rd. tko victory like last night is running through someone...I guess I have no MMA knowledge because I picked Alexander . It was hard to pick Thiago after his last fight, he looked sloppy and gassed at the end of the first rd. Therefore, I picked the brawler to dispatch Thiago in the first. Also, Thiago got rocked by James Irvin before the unfortunate knee injury. So, you should you know that anything can happen in MMA by now.
nubby
11/18/07 12:28:46PM

Posted by Kastro

No one had really seen his ground game so I dont think that is fair to say.
jocksmall
11/18/07 12:29:53PM
wasnt a big surprise. i saw an early alexander fight and a guy got him down and he was helpless. the ref tried to restart in the same position(on the ground ) and alexander was disqualified because he would not lay down. he is very one dimensional. i stated this before this fight
nubby it is fair to say because many of us watch other mma. not just ufc.
rcg916
11/18/07 12:50:44PM
Wow. I really need to avoid forums for a while...

Yesterday:

Alexander is the real deal!!! Hes the best!!! Title shot!!! Blah blah!!!

Today:

Well, it was obvious that he has no ground game. I knew it was all hype.. blah blah.

God, MMA fan gets on my nerves.
DustinT
11/18/07 1:14:19PM

Posted by Kastro

*nod*
MMA
11/18/07 1:20:37PM
This fight didn't really tell us much about Silva. All it told us was that Alexander was overrated. =\
warglory
11/18/07 2:32:49PM
Alexander came out on fire. It is hard to say he was overrated, because he was a powerhouse in his first two fights. His stand up skills are legit, no one can deny that. If he can get a good take down defense, I think he has a chance at winning the belt. And this is coming from someone who wrote off Houston after his first fight. I am no nuthugger, but I can recognize talent when i see it.

To all those bandwagon jumpers, get real. If you liked Houston in the beginning, there was probably a reason for it! Stick to your guns. Silva is a guy who comes from an incredible camp who are notorious for going toe to toe with strikers. Houston just hasn't much experience with top guys. His next fight will be different I bet.

Can you guys imagine if Houston started training full time with Xtreme Couture or with Rampage? Man...
SpiderSilva
11/18/07 2:46:19PM
I never thought he was overrated people just jumped to conclutions that he was better than he was. I never even thought he was a top 15 fighter two wins shows nothing these days
Kastro
11/18/07 3:19:49PM

Posted by wolfman

Posted by Kastro

Bow down to the god I checked your predictions, you did say he was going to run through him. However, picking Thiago to win by a 3rd sub doesn't sound like he would have run through him. A first rd. tko victory like last night is running through someone...I guess I have no MMA knowledge because I picked Alexander . It was hard to pick Thiago after his last fight, he looked sloppy and gassed at the end of the first rd. Therefore, I picked the brawler to dispatch Thiago in the first. Also, Thiago got rocked by James Irvin before the unfortunate knee injury. So, you should you know that anything can happen in MMA by now.

LOL yah I wrote that while I was half in the bag it is a pretty ignorant thing to say I apologize... I dont blame people for choosing Houston he is a good fighter and whenever someone stirs things up in the UFC like he did people are going to side with him...

And your right, Thiago is a bit wreckless in his fighting style too.. but I just somehow knew that Thiago would win this one, I could see it in his demeanor and character while being interviewed before the fight..

I picked 3rd RD by sub because Thiago was saying on the countdown show that he is going to take this into the later rounds and test Houston's gas tank.. so my bad on that one..

Overall was an exciting fight and I am glad I predicted Thiago to run through Houstonl... Houston had him backing up though against the cage a few times I was waiting for the big overhand to put Silva to sleep!
Manfred
11/18/07 5:01:33PM

Posted by rcg916

Wow. I really need to avoid forums for a while...

Yesterday:

Alexander is the real deal!!! Hes the best!!! Title shot!!! Blah blah!!!

Today:

Well, it was obvious that he has no ground game. I knew it was all hype.. blah blah.

God, MMA fan gets on my nerves.

I know what your saying. Good news is that here you can see who's for real by the pics they made. I thought Houston would last until the 2nd and give up his back and get RNC'd.

But the odds were great (+275) which means the majority of people picked him.

My Bets

My picks
tlangley
11/18/07 5:59:22PM
i think houston was tryin to play mind games and switch it up. if he would have came out explosive he mabye would have lasted longer
Pitbull09
11/18/07 6:00:21PM
Hes a good striker that got exposed for being one dimensional. Didnt surprise me. Hes such a good striker that we never saw how bad he was on the ground
jomatty
11/18/07 6:43:34PM
when i saw him come out taking his time i thought "uh oh" and when he landed on his back i really thought "uh oh". i bet silva, although i picked HA, because i thought there was a reasonable chance that punches would start flying and one of them would get knocked out, and i thought if that happened silva was more likely to get knocked out than ha.

so silly how everyone now says ha sucks. losing one fight doesnt make him suck anymore than winning 2 fights made him the next great champ. the truth lies somewhere in the middle. with some hard work on his ground game the guy could still make waves in the division. not only that but if he gets back to bumrushing guys he could beat anyone in the division at any time. if they get ahold of him however, it appears anyone wiht a ground game has a decent shot against him as well.
Scott_Revels
11/18/07 6:54:38PM
I'm not trying to be mean, but at this point, he's on par to be the next "Tank" Abbott or Butterbean. He's either going to have to learn to fight back on the ground, or he's going to keep losing (unless the UFC keeps putting him up against strikers, which would be complete bullshit.). After that, he's looking at the same career as "Tank" and Butterbean..
cmill21
11/18/07 7:03:10PM

Posted by Scott_Revels

I'm not trying to be mean, but at this point, he's on par to be the next "Tank" Abbott or Butterbean. He's either going to have to learn to fight back on the ground, or he's going to keep losing (unless the UFC keeps putting him up against strikers, which would be complete bullshit.). After that, he's looking at the same career as "Tank" and Butterbean..

Well he hasn't lost either of his last two fights on the ground, his last two fights have been against strikers, his success came from his ability to dominate wrestlers with strikes and being able to stand up. His most noteable win against a striker was overeem, who was over cutting and still was beating him up pretty good before chuck caught him with a good shot.
Pages: [1] 2