Alex Caceres drops to bantamweight, fights Cole Escovedo at UFC on FOX 1

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Alex Caceres drops to bantamweight, fights Cole Escovedo at UFC on FOX 1
Budgellism
10/5/11 9:26:24PM
Since featherweight apparently wasn't the answer, "Bruce Leroy" is going to give bantamweight a go.

UFC officials today announced that "The Ultimate Fighter 12" cast member Alex Caceres (5-4 MMA, 0-2 UFC) will get a third chance at a first octagon win, as "Bruce Leroy" drops to 135 pounds to face Cole Escovedo (17-8 MMA, 0-2 UFC), who is also winless in two UFC appearances.

The pair now meets at UFC on FOX 1.

Featuring a heavyweight title fight between current champion Cain Velasquez and top contender Junior Dos Santos, UFC on FOX 1 takes place Nov. 12 in Anaheim, Calif. The evening's main event airs on FOX, but broadcast plans for the preliminary card have yet to be determined.

"Both bantamweights had non-stop action fights in their last outings and are sure to do the same Nov. 12," UFC president Dana White stated.

Caceres competed on "TUF 12" as a lightweight but was eliminated in the semifinals by eventual runner-up Michael Johnson. Caceres then dropped to 145 pounds for his official UFC debut, which came in a submission loss to Mackens Semerzier at UFC Fight Night 24.

LINK
Budgellism
10/5/11 9:27:49PM
Escovedo wins this easily. I think it's pretty bs that Leeroy gets 3 fights in the ufc after being dominated in his first two fights.
FastKnockout
10/5/11 9:31:44PM
Bruce Leeroy better hope Dana brings in a flyweight division pretty soon.
DeadHead988
10/5/11 9:47:22PM
I really don't like how so many fighters seem to think that they can solve all the holes in their game by dropping a weight class. It's becoming more and more frequent and it really bothers me.
Jride
10/5/11 10:00:06PM
Escovedo got this.
Twenty20Dollars
10/5/11 10:42:51PM

Posted by DeadHead988

I really don't like how so many fighters seem to think that they can solve all the holes in their game by dropping a weight class. It's becoming more and more frequent and it really bothers me.

Exactly, seems like fighters can save themselves from being cut by dropping weight.

Alex would probably be better off fighting in smaller shows and gaining exp instead of fighting experienced ufc guys.
hashyandy4
10/5/11 10:57:17PM
Cole should dominate Alex and then hopefully he finally gets his walkin papers
Aether
10/6/11 6:33:50AM

Posted by DeadHead988

Well that might happen now and again, but most of the weight class dropping that is going on is being done by guys who legitimately belong in lower weight classes, but have been forced to either fight at lightweight, or make no money. The majority of weight class dropping that has been happening I think are guys going to the weight class where they belong.
prozacnation1978
10/6/11 8:31:05AM
The guy is already dropping another weight class. He will drain out and gas. Cole I'd getting a present wrapped in a bow in this one
machodog76
10/6/11 1:21:06PM

Posted by DeadHead988

I couldn't aggree more, dropping weight isn't going to help with any of the holes in his game.
Bubbles
10/6/11 1:27:09PM
see ya Alex
ghandikush
10/6/11 2:28:17PM

Posted by machodog76

Posted by DeadHead988

I couldn't aggree more, dropping weight isn't going to help with any of the holes in his game.

Jen dropped weight, went to the wec, and won won fight before the title shot.

They promoted him as "undefeated at featherweight 7-0".
RustyRedWood206
10/6/11 3:01:24PM
i think it breaths new life in a fighter when they drop weight classes more power to alex
slotriangleargo
10/6/11 4:39:35PM
Cole wins via 1st round triangle