Alessio Sakara’s Manager Filing Appeal; Wants Rematch with Patrick Cote on Neutral Ground

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Alessio Sakara’s Manager Filing Appeal; Wants Rematch with Patrick Cote on Neutral Ground
FastKnockout
11/19/12 11:57:54AM
Alessio Sakara left Montreal on Saturday with a loss on his record by disqualification after he believed he had been the first fighter ever to knock out Patrick Cote.

LINK
Biggavelli
11/19/12 12:19:52PM
They did Sakara dirty, I don't understand how you can be DQed without any warning.
sparky
11/19/12 12:26:45PM

Posted by Biggavelli

They did Sakara dirty, I don't understand how you can be DQed without any warning.

When the fighter is unable to continue after being illegally hit its an automatic DQ. Cote clearly couldnt keep fighting Sakara hit him with about 7 Illegal shots to the back of the head that at some point knocked Cote out. Clearly the Commission cannot let the fight continue so in my opinion Sakara did Cote and himself dirty, intentionally or not.
thevoodooninja
11/19/12 12:35:17PM

Posted by sparky

Posted by Biggavelli

When the fighter is unable to continue after being illegally hit its an automatic DQ. Cote clearly couldnt keep fighting Sakara hit him with about 7 Illegal shots to the back of the head that at some point knocked Cote out. Clearly the Commission cannot let the fight continue so in my opinion Sakara did Cote and himself dirty, intentionally or not.

I thought it should have been a no contest. I don't think sakara did it on purpose and the ref didn't say anything to him (not that, that makes it any better). After seeing those two go at it, I want to see the rematch
finnish_line
11/19/12 12:41:47PM
How can you accidentally hit the back of the head that many times?

Same situation with Jones and Hamill. Learn the rules of MMA if you're going to do MMA for a living.
grappler0000
11/19/12 12:47:59PM

If an injury sustained during competition as a result of an intentional foul, as determined by the referee, is severe enough to terminate a bout, the contestant causing the injury loses by disqualification.

The most important part of that is, of course, "intentional". While Sakara may or may not have intentionally cheated, he did "intend" to throw the strikes where they landed...which was in a foul zone. There is no arguing that. I think people have a hard time differentiating between the two. Forgetting the rules or having a brain-fart doesn't save you from committing an "intentional foul".
Twenty20Dollars
11/19/12 1:03:08PM
Sakara was trying to finish the fight, he didn't want to let up, heat of the moment. We can only take our view on it, but none of us were actually in that situation.

The booing got annoying.

Props to Sakara for fighting back after getting hurt early and rocking Cote, which isn't an easy feat.
kopower
11/19/12 1:30:30PM

I thought it should have been a no contest. I don't think sakara did it on purpose and the ref didn't say anything to him (not that, that makes it any better). After seeing those two go at it, I want to see the rematch

Agree with most. I would have liked to hear a warning from the ref. Sakara probably thought the blows were legal, and continued throwing. Sucks that it was a dq for Sakara, when it was the ref that screwed up.
airkerma
11/19/12 1:33:22PM

Posted by kopower

Agree with most. I would have liked to hear a warning from the ref. Sakara probably thought the blows were legal, and continued throwing. Sucks that it was a dq for Sakara, when it was the ref that screwed up.

Same. It wasn't a brilliant move by Sakara, but without a warning I feel that it should have been a no contest. Idk I guess the Jones Hamill fight was pretty similar, but Jones didn't throw nearly the number of strikes, making it harder for the ref to have the opportunity to even see anything illegal.
Bythar
11/19/12 2:18:26PM
This is a bunch of bull. Sakara isn't going to get a fair shake in Canada the manager says? The ref screwed up? Sakara broke the rules. Not a fence grab or anything like that...he clobbered a guy on the back of the head a lot of times. Lost a lot of respect for the Sakara team here. It isn't either Dan, Canada or Cote's fault that Sakara didn't keep to the rules he agreed to follow.
airkerma
11/19/12 2:25:09PM

Posted by Bythar

This is a bunch of bull. Sakara isn't going to get a fair shake in Canada the manager says? The ref screwed up? Sakara broke the rules. Not a fence grab or anything like that...he clobbered a guy on the back of the head a lot of times. Lost a lot of respect for the Sakara team here. It isn't either Dan, Canada or Cote's fault that Sakara didn't keep to the rules he agreed to follow.

Actually it is on Dan, as it is his job to protect the fighters and his job to step in when someone is being unscrupulous. Also, it probably is the fault of Canada, as is everything that goes wrong on Earth.
king_katool
11/19/12 3:12:29PM

Posted by airkerma

Posted by Bythar

Actually it is on Dan, as it is his job to protect the fighters and his job to step in when someone is being unscrupulous. Also, it probably is the fault of Canada, as is everything that goes wrong on Earth.

O ya blame Canada for everything, go ahead were all too stoned to care
FastKnockout
11/19/12 3:12:44PM
I want to blame the ref but honestly I thought the strikes were legal until they showed the replay. The shots were quick and I was concentrating more on Sakara's comeback. I agree with the DQ, though. I can understand 1-2 accidental strikes but once you get up to 6-7 something has to be done and the DQ was the right thing to do.
Goatenstein
11/19/12 4:22:22PM
He very deliberately pounded away at the back of Cote's head.
Bubbles
11/19/12 4:28:14PM
am I the only one who heard Mirgliotta say "watch the back of the head" or something along those lines? Sakara clearly understands English as he didn't need a translator to understand Rogan so we cant use the "he doesn't know English" excuse
tallica62
11/19/12 4:41:11PM
If anyone is to blame it's the ref. for not warning, stopping/calling it with those hits. I don't believe Sakara did it intentionally. Not that it matters, but in my eyes Sakara won - even if they were illegal blows - it was enough to put Cote out, and I think had he moved a few inches and made them legal, Cote was still finished
telnights
11/19/12 5:29:47PM
Sakara broke the rules its that simple. He knows the rules its not like he wasn't informed on them many times. Cote was unable to continue due to those illegal strikes so it is a DQ. Now Dan Miragliotta I feel is one of the worst refs in MMA and him not giving Alessio a warning was a mistake but it doesn't change the fact the fight was ended due to illegal strikes.
george112
11/19/12 5:32:53PM
Sakara broke the rules and lost. Don't even see what the debate is.

Yeah the ref should have warned but at the same time sakara the fighter should have realized what he was doing . Just because he pounced on cote trying to finish him isn't anywhere close to being an excuse.

Sakara needs to deal. He's been in the fight game long enough. That wasn't his first rodeo or second or third. He knows you can't do that . Intentional or not rules were broken and he was penalized
prozacnation1978
11/19/12 5:36:14PM
I say do it at 156 or 157 event
Gogoplatapus
11/19/12 6:08:22PM
I don't think he got the hometown call, I just think they fucked up. Then again, PQ is notoriously crooked.
shaneTpain
11/19/12 7:46:38PM
1 word.

REMATCHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
NE-1
11/19/12 8:19:52PM
Sakara broke the rules and it cost him. Whether or not it's the refs job to warn him or not is debateable. He knows what the rules are and as such should operate within them, but history has shown that refs usually warn about illegal strikes.

The real issue in my opinion is the rule. I think it's somewhat laughable that in a sport where you can knee, kick, punch and elbow your opponent in the face, choke them unconcious, and extend a limb until it breaks, hitting the back of the head is illegal. How can you call the sport ultimate fighting when a fighter can offer up the back of his head as a defensive tactic to avoid punishment. Maybe allow open handed strikes to the back of the head IDK, but I find the rule silly.
grappler0000
11/19/12 9:14:07PM

Posted by Gogoplatapus

I don't think he got the hometown call, I just think they fucked up. Then again, PQ is notoriously crooked.

The ref may not have done 100% of his job that night, but he did follow the proper guidelines for determining a DQ. Whether it seems like the right call or not, it was done in alignment with the rules.
BuffaloDave
11/19/12 9:30:15PM

Posted by king_katool

Posted by airkerma

Posted by Bythar

O ya blame Canada for everything, go ahead were all too stoned to care

I immediately thought of this with your response

bjj1605
11/20/12 2:40:46PM

Posted by Goatenstein

He very deliberately pounded away at the back of Cote's head.

How do we know it was deliberate?

I think he was just punching because he was excited. I don't think he was aiming for the back of the head.
bjj1605
11/20/12 2:42:46PM

Posted by george112

Intentional or not rules were broken and he was penalized

You can't say "intentional or not" because the rules make a distinction based on intention.

Intentional = DQ

Not Intentional = NC