Aleksander Emelianenko Expects April 11 Fight with Josh Barnett

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Aleksander Emelianenko Expects April 11 Fight with Josh Barnett
Next Page »
grappler0000
1/24/08 11:30:00AM
Aleksander Emelianenko (12-3), a highly ranked heavyweight (and the younger brother of famed fighter Fedor Emelianenko), will next fight April 11 for the upstart M-1 Global organization, and the Russian expects his opponent to be Josh Barnett (20-5).

News of the potential bout was posted on Emelianenko’s official website at www.alex.mixfight.ru.

The as-of-yet-unannounced M-1 Global event is expected to take place in Chicago.

The Emelianko brothers’ manager, Vadim Finkelstein, recently sold the M-1 organization to a group of American investors who restructured the fight promotion. As its first order of business, the organization signed Fedor to a long-term deal. The organization’s CEO, longtime MMA agent and promoter Monte Cox, recently stated that the organization had planned for a February debut date but instead pushed it back a few months to allow more time for signing talent.

If the organization does sign Barnett for the fight, it could signal another loss for the UFC.

Link
mrsmiley
1/24/08 11:48:11AM
I read about this on sherdog a few hours ago.

That will be a good match if it does come to fruitiation,but what about Barnett VS Fedor?

I'm all for Aleksander attempting to get his revenge,but if Barnett was to win,I hope he takes on Fedor next.
Aaronno9
1/24/08 12:14:42PM
I thought aleks couldnt fight in the u.s becouse of his armed robbery charge?
Manak
1/24/08 12:28:01PM
hopefully josh will pull it out again cause this set-ups barnett v fedor
Jujiden
1/24/08 1:09:36PM
UFC burns too many bridges with too many fighters and managers. It's their pride (no pun intended) that keeps them from having the fighters that everyone wants them to have. That said, I still believe that the UFC is the elite for MMA at this time regardless what Monte Cox says about the UFC having "club champions." And even if that was true, you still have to be the best to even get a shot in that "club."

I see Barnett, being as hungry and ornary as he is, beating Aleks. But that would set up a great revenge fight for Fedor, reminiscent of Aleks vs. Cro Cop.
loller90278
1/24/08 2:12:51PM
wow, expect a great fight!! as for the visa situation -- im not too but if the venue is in america, theres a "special persons" visa that im sure emelianenko+putin can arrange..

and the winner of this fight should face fedor!! ive been wanting to see aleks vs fedor for the longest timeeee
loonytnt
1/24/08 2:17:59PM
that is going be a good fight, but if josh was not lose imo i dont think you would see him fightin fedor any time soon
MMAcca
1/24/08 2:52:27PM
Interesting fight.

I can see Barnett taking this, unless him not fighting for about 10 years makes a significant difference.
nickcuc547
1/24/08 4:22:13PM
id love to see aleks win, he was handling barnett in their last fight until he gassed. hopefully the guy can improve his gas tank because he could be a force in the heavyweight division with those explosive hands.
juanez13
1/24/08 4:23:16PM

Posted by loller90278

wow, expect a great fight!! as for the visa situation -- im not too but if the venue is in america, theres a "special persons" visa that im sure emelianenko+putin can arrange..

and the winner of this fight should face fedor!! ive been wanting to see aleks vs fedor for the longest timeeee

yea and maybe frank shamrock vs ken shamrock can be on that card IMO, that that would actually create alot of interest, but of course that is if aleks win, which he probably wont, but i hope he does
killjoy
1/24/08 5:51:19PM
wishful thinking that aleks wins this one, i really think he can KO barnett worse than barnett did, but if barnett comes in with the plan to take it down aleks is in for a short night, still i pick aleks by KO in the 1st/2nd
cmill21
1/24/08 6:11:38PM
This is a fantastic idea, aleks and Barney, barney wins he faces Fedor, on the same card Fedor fights monson or Rizzo, I love the idea.
NatedawgThaM
1/24/08 6:18:47PM
This kind of pisses me off. I want to see Fedor vs Barnett. Aleks should fight Pedro Rizzo.

Chalk up an easy submission win for Barnett and giving people more reasons to drop Fedor down there P4P rankings
chubbud22
1/24/08 7:43:02PM
Not suprising. Barnett by arm bar
vanillavick9
1/24/08 9:16:42PM
At least Fedor's brother isnt a pussy.
loller90278
1/25/08 1:38:13AM
why does everyone think that barnett is leaps and bounds ahead of aleks on the ground? well hes not, aleks comes from a sambo background and is well versed in submissions as well. on the feet, i think aleks takes this easily.
telnights
1/25/08 3:23:20AM
This is a sad day to see Fedor's brother taking on better fighters than he has in 3 years. Man I didn't think Fedor would ever get to this point.

Posted by Jujiden

UFC burns too many bridges with too many fighters and managers. It's their pride (no pun intended) that keeps them from having the fighters that everyone wants them to have. That said, I still believe that the UFC is the elite for MMA at this time regardless what Monte Cox says about the UFC having "club champions." And even if that was true, you still have to be the best to even get a shot in that "club."

I see Barnett, being as hungry and ornary as he is, beating Aleks. But that would set up a great revenge fight for Fedor, reminiscent of Aleks vs. Cro Cop.

What bridges with what fighters and what managers? What fighters are you talking about because there is only around 6 fighters (out of how many) I would really like to see in the UFC. You say everyone but what you really mean is you.

I don't think Monte Cox ever said anything like that. If he did he would be insulting some of the guys he manages. I think your mistaking Monte Cox for Gary Shaw. Which I don't think Monte Cox would like to be mistaken for someone like Gary Shaw. Monte Cox is a good guy he just needs to make up his mind weather he wants to be a manger or a CEO.

jomatty
1/25/08 6:12:26AM
what makes you guys think that this is fedor's doing? he didnt duck anyone in pride and i doubt that he doesnt want to fight the best now. it is clearly m-1's attempt to safeguard their investment a little more before putting him in vs a top guy.

i for one am dissapointed that fedor is not the one fighting barnett, but hopefully barnett gets past aleks (which i think he will) it will be announced that he fights fedor. it is good to see him fighting for m1 in any case.

and to whoever posted that aleks is equal to barnett on the ground i think that is not true at all. i think aleks ground game is underrated but barnetts is leaps and bounds ahead of him imo. aleks is a tough guy and a competitor but his sambo is not on the same level as fedor's, although he is certainly no fish out of water ont eh ground as some seem to think.
CornishMMA
1/25/08 8:06:30AM
So while Aleks is fighting the top ranked HW outside of the UFC his brother the so called #1 HW in the world will be fighting on the same card against ....................... either Sapp, Akebono or Giant Silva weak

Everyone has to stop ranking Fedor at #1 after this next fight
Leland
1/25/08 9:43:23AM
Aleks VS Fedor would be tight. I would love to see that. Aleks probably knows alot of holes in Fedor's game and vice versa. Also love to watch both of them fight. Poker faced MFers Would be interesting
Jujiden
1/25/08 4:40:29PM

Posted by telnights

This is a sad day to see Fedor's brother taking on better fighters than he has in 3 years. Man I didn't think Fedor would ever get to this point.

Posted by Jujiden

What bridges with what fighters and what managers? What fighters are you talking about because there is only around 6 fighters (out of how many) I would really like to see in the UFC. You say everyone but what you really mean is you.

I don't think Monte Cox ever said anything like that. If he did he would be insulting some of the guys he manages. I think your mistaking Monte Cox for Gary Shaw. Which I don't think Monte Cox would like to be mistaken for someone like Gary Shaw. Monte Cox is a good guy he just needs to make up his mind weather he wants to be a manger or a CEO.

By everyone I mean those who would like to see many of the fighters scattered across other organizations in the UFC. The 6 fighters you would like to see isn't the standard for everyone else, so before you start imposing that standard of you 6 fighters on others I would suggest you read other threads besides the ones you have your 2 cents on.

I did mean Gary Shaw and not Gary Shaw so my bad on that note.

And seriously, what bridges? What fighters? Please, unless the only aspect of the game you take interest in is the fights and not the business then you would be remissed to see the heap of bridges the UFC burned in their quest of exclusivity and making UFC the standard of MMA.

And don't you worry your pretty little head, Fedor will come around.
Bemin
1/25/08 5:31:20PM
It really is too bad That its Aleks not Fedor fighting Barnett. I understand that M-1 may want to protect him, but hell by the time they are ready to let him take on some top compitition again his reputation may be runied.

And on a side note, anyone heard that Aleks has taken up rapping? You can listen on his site (google translated), its on the top right side.

Link
Kpro
1/25/08 6:16:07PM
Aleks' ground submission game is nowhere near Barnett's.
Manfred
1/26/08 8:05:10PM

Posted by loller90278

why does everyone think that barnett is leaps and bounds ahead of aleks on the ground? well hes not, aleks comes from a sambo background and is well versed in submissions as well. on the feet, i think aleks takes this easily.

Plus a Judo BB. He was winning the ground war last time until he gassed. If he's in shape and focused, he can take most HWs

As to why Barney isn't fighting Fedor instead, maybe Josh turned it down, again
telnights
1/27/08 1:43:11AM

Posted by Jujiden

Posted by telnights

Posted by Jujiden

By everyone I mean those who would like to see many of the fighters scattered across other organizations in the UFC. The 6 fighters you would like to see isn't the standard for everyone else, so before you start imposing that standard of you 6 fighters on others I would suggest you read other threads besides the ones you have your 2 cents on.

I did mean Gary Shaw and not Gary Shaw so my bad on that note.

And seriously, what bridges? What fighters? Please, unless the only aspect of the game you take interest in is the fights and not the business then you would be remissed to see the heap of bridges the UFC burned in their quest of exclusivity and making UFC the standard of MMA.

And don't you worry your pretty little head, Fedor will come around.

Well I wasn't the one that said

Posted by Jujiden
UFC burns too many bridges with too many fighters and managers. It's their pride (no pun intended) that keeps them from having the fighters that everyone wants them to have.

I was just pointing out the fact that you said (the fighters that EVERYONE wants). I said there are only 6 I can think of that I would want. I was also trying to point out the fact that I don't think you know what fighters everyone wants to see in the UFC.

Posted by telnights
What fighters are you talking about because there is only around 6 fighters (out of how many) I would really like to see in the UFC.

Notice I used the word I and not everyone.

But still the point is you really didn't answer my questions.
What bridges with what fighters and what managers?
If there are heaps of bridges the UFC burned then it shouldnt be so hard to list 5-10 of them. Fedor not joining the UFC wasn't that big of a deal for me. Fedor not fighting anyone worth while is a big deal to me. To be honest I'm not really worried what Fedor does anymore at this point I see Fedor turning in to the next Frank Shamrock.

Mayhem13
1/27/08 1:57:41AM
Like a few have said, Aleks was winning the ground game against Josh last fight, he has better stand-up and if he trains right, he should win this. Aleks by round 1 TKO is my pick

and the potential Aleks vs Fedor fight....wont happen. Atleast I would highly highly doubt it, I read an interview or something somewhere, where they asked Fedor about it, and he said. He promised his mother that they would never fight. i dont think he is one to break a promise to family
NineDuce
1/27/08 7:07:26AM
i dont hear anybody giving barnett crap about not fighting since 12/31/06, yet fedor has 3 fights since then and hes ducking barnett? maybe barnett wants an "easy win against a guy he beat already" fedor should take the fight but all this fighter hate is ridiculous
Manfred
1/27/08 8:38:04AM

Posted by NineDuce

i dont hear anybody giving barnett crap about not fighting since 12/31/06, yet fedor has 3 fights since then and hes ducking barnett? maybe barnett wants an "easy win against a guy he beat already" fedor should take the fight but all this fighter hate is ridiculous

You mean when he turned down a fight with Fedor in favor of fighting Nog who he had beaten 3 months earlier. I'm not bashing Josh. He fought a lot in '06 and said he wanted to be 100% to fight Fedor. But people have very short (or selective) memories
telnights
1/27/08 2:45:37PM

Posted by NineDuce

Josh is not consider to be the greatest HW ever. He is also not ranked #1. He fought 7 fights in 06 and 3 of those were against top 5 fighters at the time. Fedor only fought 2 fights in 06 and neither one was against a top 10 ranked fighter. Really cant give Barnett crap for taking a year off. I think Fedor fans(I was one) are making a lot of excuses for Fedor when they shouldnt have to.
NineDuce
1/27/08 6:06:26PM

Posted by Manfred

Posted by NineDuce

You mean when he turned down a fight with Fedor in favor of fighting Nog who he had beaten 3 months earlier. I'm not bashing Josh. He fought a lot in '06 and said he wanted to be 100% to fight Fedor. But people have very short (or selective) memories

i meant barnett wants to fight aleks again, not saying anybody is ducking anyone per say but its a little strange that barnett isnt challenging fedor instead, if he has challenged him and i dont know about it sorry dont flame me

Posted by telnights

Josh is not consider to be the greatest HW ever. He is also not ranked #1. He fought 7 fights in 06 and 3 of those were against top 5 fighters at the time. Fedor only fought 2 fights in 06 and neither one was against a top 10 ranked fighter. Really cant give Barnett crap for taking a year off. I think Fedor fans(I was one) are making a lot of excuses for Fedor when they shouldnt have to.

i understand that fedor haters/fans wanna see him prove himself and think his comp. has been a little less than satisfactory and am not making excuses for him at all, i just think the fighting should matter most
Pages: [1] 2