Aleks' career over?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Aleks' career over?
Mattchoo
7/23/08 12:53:59PM
This past weekend Aleksander Emelianenko was scheduled to face Paul Buentello in heavyweight action during the FSN portion of Affliction: Banned but due to medical complications the fight was cancelled.

A source close to the situation spoke to MMANews.com's Michael Moody on a condition of anonymity and explained that the blood tests came back right before Aleks and Buentello were scheduled to weigh in and that is why there was so much confusion around the stage and why the fighters did not weigh in. Gary Goodridge ended up stepping up on extremely short notice and filling in for the Russian heavyweight.

The tests were positive for Hepatitis B which resulted in the CSAC cancelling the fight. Hep B is the result of transmission from exposure to infectious blood or body fluids containing blood. Possible forms of transmission include (but are not limited to) unprotected sexual contact, blood transfusions, re-use of contaminated needles & syringes, and vertical transmission from mother to child during childbirth.

LINK
bullettdodger
7/23/08 12:57:29PM

vertical transmission
billycarnage
7/23/08 1:35:58PM
That's terrible news. I cant believe it.
cmill21
7/23/08 2:12:42PM
Isn't Hep B cureable?
Twenty20Dollars
7/23/08 2:14:34PM
yeah i thought it was
The_Ho_Bag
7/23/08 2:17:31PM
Wow that sucks...
emfleek
7/23/08 2:29:03PM
Hepatitis B is NOT curable.
dinex
7/23/08 2:48:46PM
"Children are less likely than adults to clear the infection. More than 95% of people who become infected as adults or older children will stage a full recovery and develop protective immunity to the virus."

According to Wikipedia. I have no idea how accurate that is as I know nothing about hep b. From what I understand it is curable in that you become immune to it but the virus DNA stays in your body.

Anyway Aleks camp says the reason he was denied license wasn't anything medical according to mmajunkie so let's hope that's true.
emfleek
7/23/08 2:55:12PM

Posted by dinex

"Children are less likely than adults to clear the infection. More than 95% of people who become infected as adults or older children will stage a full recovery and develop protective immunity to the virus."

According to Wikipedia. I have no idea how accurate that is as I know nothing about hep b. From what I understand it is curable in that you become immune to it but the virus DNA stays in your body.

Anyway Aleks camp says the reason he was denied license wasn't anything medical according to mmajunkie so let's hope that's true.

from eMedicinehealth.com...

Hepatitis B is caused by infection with the hepatitis B virus (HBV). This infection has 2 phases: acute and chronic.

Acute (new, short-term) hepatitis B occurs shortly after exposure to the virus. A small number of people develop a very severe, life-threatening form of acute hepatitis called fulminant hepatitis.

Chronic (ongoing, long-term) hepatitis B is an infection with HBV that lasts longer than 6 months. Once the infection becomes chronic, it may never go away completely.

About 90-95% of people who are infected are able to fight off the virus so their infection never becomes chronic. Only about 5-10 percent of adults infected with HBV go on to develop chronic infection.

HBV infection is one of the most important causes of infectious hepatitis.
billycarnage
7/23/08 3:03:51PM
I hope it is acute and i figure they caught it fairly early so I will hope for the best.
JimiMak
7/23/08 9:20:30PM
we still don't know if it's true, but it may well be the end of his career. sucks but who'd want to fight him? or license him? (if it were to become chronic)
RMFG_187
7/24/08 12:13:33AM
I Feel sorry for him, and Fedor, that ******* sucks! GL in his non MMA carear.

cough Mob Assasin cough
reddevil
7/25/08 11:04:01AM
From what I understand, he is already once again rumored to be on the 2nd Affliction card. Hopefully that is because further tests have cleared things up.
mikevolz
7/25/08 12:31:47PM
i cant wait to see him fight tommy 'gun' morrison.
coldchillin
7/25/08 1:09:07PM
I hope this isn't true.