Aldo/Faber Fightmetric

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Aldo/Faber Fightmetric
ncordless
4/25/10 2:59:24AM
link

Always interesting to see the stats.
Jackelope
4/25/10 3:28:12AM
I pretty much figured Aldo would go in there and absolutely tool Urijah. Which he basically did.

It's too bad. Urijah is definitely one of the cream of the crop old school MMA fighters but guys like Aldo are the new up and coming badasses who will eventually take this sport over.

As good as Urijah is he's relied on his athleticism, hard work, and creativity to get him through fights. Nowadays you're going to have to have all three of those plus sound fundamental technique. When it comes to standup Urijah just simply doesn't have that sound technique.
sbulldavid
4/25/10 12:58:35PM
I think Faber has gotten bulky, he looks like he could make 155, I would not be surprised if his next fight is in the UFC at 155.
jae_1833
4/25/10 1:29:49PM
The guy has a lot of footage for opponents to study, I think that he should go back to some basic fundamentals....boxing, wrestling, and submissions. Still think he is great but I hate to watch this pass him up, he still has age on his side and he has a ton of experience....especially for that division.
BlueSkiesBurn
4/25/10 9:04:34PM
Aldo is just a beast. I knew he was good but didn't realize how devastating he actually is. I don't even know why I took that avatar bet, haha.
ncordless
4/25/10 11:38:10PM

Posted by Jackelope

I pretty much figured Aldo would go in there and absolutely tool Urijah. Which he basically did.

It's too bad. Urijah is definitely one of the cream of the crop old school MMA fighters but guys like Aldo are the new up and coming badasses who will eventually take this sport over.

As good as Urijah is he's relied on his athleticism, hard work, and creativity to get him through fights. Nowadays you're going to have to have all three of those plus sound fundamental technique. When it comes to standup Urijah just simply doesn't have that sound technique.

I agree, although I still like Faber in a match with any FW not named Aldo or Brown.

Faber has all the skill in the world on the ground, but he has always been wild standing up, letting his speed make up for his defensive failings. Last night we saw what happens when he was matched up against someone just as fast as him but with striking technique (both offensive and defensive) among the best out there.

On the other hand, I think you could count the number of people in mma who could check Aldo's kicks on one hand. Even if Faber had better fundamentals in his defensive striking, I don't think solid fundamentals stops those kicks. it is going to take an elite muay thai fighter with fast reflexes to stop Aldo from treating his leg like he is kicking a 50 yd field goal. At first, it looked like Faber was trying to keep that left leg up to be ready to check or evade the kick, but that ended when Aldo just swept his other leg. Then Faber kept trying to catch them, but those kicks happened so fast from the time they are launched until Aldo is back in position that it became obvious very quickly that catching one of those kicks and stopping Aldo's follow through wasn't going to happen.
BlueSkiesBurn
4/26/10 12:12:04AM

Faber has all the skill in the world on the ground, but he has always been wild standing up, letting his speed make up for his defensive failings. Last night we saw what happens when he was matched up against someone just as fast as him but with striking technique (both offensive and defensive) among the best out there.

I completely agree with you. I've thought for a while now that Faber's wild decisions was gonna catch up with him. It happened against Brown when he spun right into his fist. Faber's biggest weapons have always been his speed and strength. He obviously couldn't outmuscle Brown and he couldn't move as fast against Aldo.

This was a horrible match-up for Faber and, honestly, I'm surprised it went that well for him. I had him getting knocked out fairly early. While he got beat pretty handily a decision is much more credit than I gave him. Gone are the days when Faber can use his speed and power alone to reach the top. He's gonna need to refine his technique and I think that it's too late in the game for him to do that.