Aldo to defend UFC title against Mendes at UFC 142 in Brazil

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Aldo to defend UFC title against Mendes at UFC 142 in Brazil
DrivenDavies15
11/1/11 12:04:07AM
Fighting in his home country of Brazil, Jose Aldo will defend his UFC Featherweight Title Jan. 14 in UFC 142 against undefeated fighter Chad Mendes, FOXSports.com has learned.

The fight will pair Aldo’s electrifying style, one punctuated by ferocious flying knees and lighting-quick submissions, against a nuanced ground game Mendes honed as an NCAA Division I wrestler.

LINK
FastKnockout
11/1/11 12:05:45AM
I'm going to have to think long and hard on this one. Not sure if I can trust Aldo's gas tank against Mendes.
sbulldavid
11/1/11 12:08:51AM
I think I'm going to be betting on Mendes.
prophecy033
11/1/11 12:19:55AM
Aldo is a Beast but his cardio is worrisome. Mendez is a gamer and he's gonna take it to Aldo. The more I think about this fight, the more I get excited. Can't wait to see the final card
Chael_Sonnen
11/1/11 12:50:56AM
War Money Mendes

Cardio + Wrestling = New Champ
tcunningham
11/1/11 2:12:04AM
mendes all the way. aldo will be on his back busy trying to avoid elbows while mendes steals that title out from underneath him. money has got a wicked gas tank and theres nobody in the division that can stop his takedown. aldo gasses, money walks with the belt by UD
Pookie
11/1/11 2:57:35AM
Aldo is going to beat the breaks off of Mendes. Watch as Mendes fails with the takedowns and has no applicable back-up plan.
kingsmasher
11/1/11 10:05:11AM

Posted by Pookie

Aldo is going to beat the breaks off of Mendes. Watch as Mendes fails with the takedowns and has no applicable back-up plan.

Watch Aldo after Mendes presses him for 3 rounds how gassed Aldo is...Some good ole american wrestling should walk away with the belt here...
Theoutlaw08
11/1/11 10:30:02AM
I'm going with Mendes. I think he will be too much for Aldo.
airkerma
11/1/11 10:47:25AM
I have to go with Aldo, considering in my book he's #3 P4P right now. He's dealt with powerful wrestlers before (Faber) and handled them just fine. Mendes is a one trick pony who will be in a world of hurt if his take downs aren't working. Aldo's conditioning does concern me though...
KungFuMaster
11/1/11 11:34:16AM
This could easily be a one-sided for affair for both fighters. You have Aldo who is exceptionally good on the feet and then you have Mendes who is a powerful wrestler.

I'm going to have to sleep on this one some more to come up with a pick.
gartface
11/1/11 11:43:50AM

Posted by airkerma

I have to go with Aldo, considering in my book he's #3 P4P right now. He's dealt with powerful wrestlers before (Faber) and handled them just fine. Mendes is a one trick pony who will be in a world of hurt if his take downs aren't working. Aldo's conditioning does concern me though...

Urijah is a powerful wrestler, but Mendes himself has said that his and Urijah's wrestling are completely different. He said that you can see it in a lot of Urijah's fights, he takes guys down a lot from reversing takedowns. A little confusing, but it makes sense to me. He said Urijah doesn't really have that powerful shot like he does, and I tend to agree.

That being said, this will be an outstanding fight. I think that like most people are saying, both have a main way to win. Mendes is, however, improving with every fight. I don't think he can stand with Aldo, but Aldo better be careful throwing kicks against someone like Mendes. He'll be in guard more than he is on his feet.

Can't wait for this one! Hoping for a good scrap.
KungFuMaster
11/1/11 12:06:32PM

Posted by gartface

Posted by airkerma

Urijah is a powerful wrestler, but Mendes himself has said that his and Urijah's wrestling are completely different. He said that you can see it in a lot of Urijah's fights, he takes guys down a lot from reversing takedowns. A little confusing, but it makes sense to me. He said Urijah doesn't really have that powerful shot like he does, and I tend to agree.

That being said, this will be an outstanding fight. I think that like most people are saying, both have a main way to win. Mendes is, however, improving with every fight. I don't think he can stand with Aldo, but Aldo better be careful throwing kicks against someone like Mendes. He'll be in guard more than he is on his feet.

I agree. Faber does not have the weight or power to force take downs like Mendes. Faber is a scrambler. He is quick and has explosive movements whereas Mendes is slower IMO but has more power. But then again, you have to wonder >>>how much more power can Mendes really have over Faber at 145? I would have to say not much. Then you have to consider Aldo has a very good base which translates to good take down defense.

On paper, this should be a close match up but something tells me it will be a one-sided affair. If Mendes has enough power to force the take downs, this fight could result in a GSP clinic. On the other hand, If Aldo can keep it standing like most of his previous fights, this fight could result in an Anderson Silva clinic.

Essentially, my concern is how much more power does Mendes have over Faber at 145? I guess we will find out at ufc 142.
ncordless
11/1/11 12:50:17PM

Posted by gartface

Posted by airkerma

It is weird to think that Jose Aldo has been taken down exactly twice on U.S. soil, one of which he allowed in order to go for an ill-advised guillotine, yet people question his ability to stuff a takedown.

Mendes might be the guy that can take Aldo down, but history doesn't bode well for him. That recurring champs by the numbers article from sherdog says it all. Jose Aldo has better takedown defense numbers than anyone besides Jon Jones (who, amazingly, has never been taken down).

I think Mendes's high point of his career is this fight. He is not even the best wrestler at 145 in his own camp (Lance Palmer is a better wrestler).

I think we will see Aldo fight around the edges, bail to the cage whenever the power double comes, and pick up another smart but lackluster win against an opponent who only has one trick. If we are lucky we will see one of those power doubles get stuffed by an uppercut or knee that ends the fight.
kingsmasher
11/1/11 1:50:26PM

Posted by ncordless

Posted by gartface

Posted by airkerma

It is weird to think that Jose Aldo has been taken down exactly twice on U.S. soil, one of which he allowed in order to go for an ill-advised guillotine, yet people question his ability to stuff a takedown.

Mendes might be the guy that can take Aldo down, but history doesn't bode well for him. That recurring champs by the numbers article from sherdog says it all. Jose Aldo has better takedown defense numbers than anyone besides Jon Jones (who, amazingly, has never been taken down).

I think Mendes's high point of his career is this fight. He is not even the best wrestler at 145 in his own camp (Lance Palmer is a better wrestler).

I think we will see Aldo fight around the edges, bail to the cage whenever the power double comes, and pick up another smart but lackluster win against an opponent who only has one trick. If we are lucky we will see one of those power doubles get stuffed by an uppercut or knee that ends the fight.

I think Mendes will press Aldo against the cage the majority of the time which will be octagon control...Boring but control...As for urijah his game plan was all wrong...He tried to strike with Aldo...Mendes is having none of that approach...

The way I look at it is Aldo beat Florian but put me to sleep...I think Mendes would beat Florian down...

Aldo has yet to face a guy impose his gameplan...If Mendes takes the fight to him lets see how Aldo reacts...Some reason I dont think hes gonna do well...
ncordless
11/1/11 2:16:41PM

Posted by kingsmasher

Posted by ncordless

Posted by gartface

Posted by airkerma

I think Mendes will press Aldo against the cage the majority of the time which will be octagon control...Boring but control...As for urijah his game plan was all wrong...He tried to strike with Aldo...Mendes is having none of that approach...

The way I look at it is Aldo beat Florian but put me to sleep...I think Mendes would beat Florian down...

Aldo has yet to face a guy impose his gameplan...If Mendes takes the fight to him lets see how Aldo reacts...Some reason I dont think hes gonna do well...

Pushing someone against the fence is not really octagon control, especially if the goal is to get the fight to the ground. It is a lack of octagon control Aggression, maybe. Octagon control, no.

It is also a misreading of the rules to think that Octagon control can overcome being beaten at striking. Read the rules. If the majority of the fight takes place on the feet, then striking is the thing that gets analyzed. It is only when the striking is even that things like Octagon control and aggression are considered. I'll give you that the judges have screwed it up a couple times in the past (Randy v Vera is always the one I think of), but if the rules are applied the way they are written, a fighter wins if he stays on his feet and gets the better of the striking, regardless how much his opponent pushes him into the cage.
prozacnation1978
11/1/11 2:26:34PM
Nice fight for brazil
I do think
Belfort, barboza, paul harris, maia, and paulo thiago are locks for this event

Wild card would be if thiago silva is on the card
1daveufc
11/1/11 3:12:21PM
A think it will be a bit like silva vs sonnon only mendes will win via UD
Pookie
11/1/11 3:37:24PM
Pushing someone against the cage and failing with the takedowns can count as octagon control, but it would also fail as effective Grappling. And because octagon control is valued less than Effective grappling, in accordance to the rules holding someone against the cage without strikes should lose you the round any way you break it down.

Guida v. Diaz was another fight like Couture v. Vera.