Alan "The Talent" Belcher

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Alan "The Talent" Belcher
Rollins
1/11/09 1:07:20AM
Will be fighting the mighty Denis Kang, does the UFC think this will be a gimmie fight for Kang? I hope not, they may just get a turd in their punch bowl if they're underestimating Alan.

Discuss.
Franklinfan47
1/11/09 1:32:31AM
I don't think anyone's taking Belcher lightly. This is a good test for Kang's first fight.
MMAcca
1/11/09 1:38:09AM
If Kang is prepared and ready, he will win. Although Belcher is no can
Rollins
1/11/09 1:45:10AM
Let it be known, he's been training in Thailand for whatever that's worth. I'll say it since it's no secret to the opposing teams camp. Pretty sure they know already.
DosBox
1/11/09 2:50:25AM
Not that I think that the UFC is necessarily giving him a "gimme" fight in matching him up against Belcher, but I think would want to see what Kang can do at the big stage. It wasnt too long ago that Kang was arguably the hottest prospect not in the UFC, now with some of the steam lost, setting him up against a guy with 4 wins in the UFC in Alan Belcher looks to not only be a great fight stylistically ,but a good logical choice of the level of the competition Kang should fight in his 1st fight in the UFC. The UFC is not too cautious to just throw in another UFC newcomer to fight Kang so they could build him up, but rather fight a young vet in the UFC with a good skillset which on paper looks to be a very exciting match.

So, even though I do not think it is a "gimme" fight, I think with the stylistic match up between the two gives a good chance for Kang to step up and make his presence felt in the UFC. I think it wouldn't necessarily be wrong to assume that the UFC put Kang in a fight where he should win, but a win over a guy like Belcher is a win you definitely have to work for, and the UFC should have a clear answer after this fight.
Wolfenstein
1/11/09 3:13:11AM
It's a serious test for Kang, especially considering Belcher has a lot of experience in the UFC. Belcher has proven he deserves a spot in the UFC, and he does hold a win over Jorge Santiago who many are now rating as a top ten MW after his victory over Kazuo Misaki.

Kang is at the top of many overrated lists. Primarily because of his inconsistency. He's dominated in promotions like Spirit MC, and early in Pride against tough, but not top echelon fighters. He started to really get noticed after knocking out Murilio Rua in 15 seconds. Unfortunately Rua has recently battled bouts of inconsistency as well so that KO isn't looking as hot as it may have a couple years ago on his resume.

I think this card is in a way, a make it or break it fight for Kang. If he wins he's legit, if he doesn't he was another overhyped fighter from outside the organization, and he'll quickly be making undercard appearances.
Bobby-B-Bonkers
1/11/09 6:59:50AM
i don't mean to bash Kang, but (IMO) the UFC is putting a lot of faith into Kang the same way they did CroCop, and with Alan being no joke, I just don't think this was the UFC's smartest move to put Kang in with someone that can make a 15 minute war with him. - (IMO) ... atleast not for his first fight!!! Heck, even Rampage admits he felt fatigue in his first UFC fight against Eastman; and that was Marvin Eastman and not Alan Belcher!
Bobby-B-Bonkers
1/11/09 7:04:45AM

Posted by Wolfenstein

It's a serious test for Kang, especially considering Belcher has a lot of experience in the UFC. Belcher has proven he deserves a spot in the UFC, and he does hold a win over Jorge Santiago who many are now rating as a top ten MW after his victory over Kazuo Misaki.

I remember Chris Leben gave a wiked KO to Santiago on Fight Night I think. I know I've seen Jorge get KO'ed in the UFC, i just can't remember against whom!!!! ?????????
Wallass
1/11/09 10:06:11AM
Belcher will win this fight. Hes far from a stepping stone and always puts on a good show.
SpiderSilva
1/11/09 10:06:24AM
All I have to say is Kang is 3-3 in his last 6 fights and I am picking against him
copcopps
1/11/09 10:35:16AM
I was picking Kang but I'm starting to be tempted to change, especially since there's an underdog bonus with BBQ sauce on Belcher
D0wnUnd6e6r
1/11/09 11:12:15AM
Belcher has awesome standup, he has more than a long shot, waaay more than the odds show. I'm betting just cause of that.
tuvok500
1/11/09 1:25:23PM
Belcher gonna be destroy, there is a limit to be over optimistic about Belcher, the guy only beat Salmon, Starnes and a controversy win over Herman.
He got destroy by Jason Day , not to mention his lost to Kendall Grove.

Kang is an elite fighter who trained several time with GSP and GSP always spoke about him as a very good elite fighter, not to mention that Kang has a lot of training partners way better than Belcher at ATT.

THe only way for Kang to lose would be to freeze entering the cage witch will not happen because Kang is use to big show.

EvenFlow
1/11/09 1:51:22PM
Stylistically this is a bad match for Belcher, Kang can strike with the best and has a decisive advantage on the ground and the clinch as well. I agree with some on here saying he's not as big of an underdog as the numbers show but I feel Kang is just better everywhere this fight goes. Unless Kang gets careless standing or gets an adrenaline dump he'll use his all around skills on Belcher, what Allen should do is stick and move, be elusive, look for that home run by setting it up with combo's and defend takedowns and a barrage of strikes of corse.
casey64
1/11/09 2:05:27PM
Kang shouldnt take Alan Belcher lightly, I think if Kang is perpared he will win the fight though.
higdon10
1/11/09 2:10:47PM
I think that Kang will win, but like the rest of you I understand that Belcher is no push over.
Bobby-B-Bonkers
1/11/09 3:35:54PM

Posted by SpiderSilva

All I have to say is Kang is 3-3 in his last 6 fights and I am picking against him

true but the fights he lost were all to ranked fighters or atleast decent guys,,, AND he IS on a two fight win streak..... not argueing just saying

Can any1 confirm rumors that Kang has been training with GSP for this fight?
DosBox
1/11/09 4:19:16PM

Posted by Bobby-B-Bonkers

Can any1 confirm rumors that Kang has been training with GSP for this fight?

Sure, a little outdated web page but here is the link.
Link

"In preparation for his Dream fights Denis has been training in Montreal with George St Pierre. In fact, Kang will be leaving for Montreal on Wednesday to continue training with St. Pierre and strength and conditioning coach Jonathan Chaimberg. Other than a brief Christmas visit to Vancouver, he’ll remain in Montreal until UFC 94."

I do know GSP trained with Kang for GSP's fight with Hughes at UFC 79, and for preparation for his fight against Serra.
I believe there are also videos posted on YouTube where Kang, Loiseau, and St. Pierre are training together.

Edit-
Found another link, talking about Loiseau preparations in the UFC.
Link #2

"Loiseau will remain busy until his middleweight return. At the moment, he’s in Montreal helping Denis Kang and Georges St. Pierre get ready for their next challengers in Alan Belcher and B.J. Penn respectively."