Alan Belcher and Vitor Belfort agree to meet at UFC 153 in Brazil

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Alan Belcher and Vitor Belfort agree to meet at UFC 153 in Brazil
Next Page »
BuffaloDave
7/24/12 10:57:04PM
UFC president Dana White recently teased a few upcoming big fights in the middleweight division, and now the first of those matchups is on the schedule.

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) today confirmed with sources close to the two fighters that Vitor Belfort (21-9 MMA, 10-5 UFC) and Alan Belcher (18-6 MMA, 9-4 UFC) have verbally agreed to meet on the main card of this fall's UFC 153 event.

Additionally, Belfort late Tuesday took to his Twitter account to call out Belcher for UFC 153, then said in his native Portugese that the matchup was one UFC president Dana White wanted.

Featuring a featherweight title fight between current champion Jose Aldo and challenger Erik Koch, "UFC 153: Aldo vs. Koch" takes place Oct. 13 at Rio de Janeiro's HSBC Arena.

LINK
BuffaloDave
7/24/12 10:59:23PM
Please,please,please, may the injury bug, please skip over these two, for this match up.
kopower
7/24/12 11:02:02PM
Nice. Should be a great fight.
george112
7/24/12 11:06:26PM
I can see Belcher getting the UD if he fights smart and doesn't gas.

However Belfort imo will have superiority In physical strength
Chael_Sonnen
7/24/12 11:14:42PM
Outstanding match-up - - - Belcher takes a hard fought SD.
Pookie
7/24/12 11:32:14PM
Belforts going to run right through him.

Also, Bisping v. Weidman.
bjj1605
7/25/12 12:08:08AM
Sounds like a great match up.

Stand up will be pretty even. Belcher has better kicks but Belfort has the faster hands.

Belcher should have the advantage on the ground.
frizzzlecake
7/25/12 12:26:46AM

Posted by bjj1605

Belforts black belt> Belchers

Belfort has ADCC Medal to prove it.

Great fight, I think someone takes a nap.
jae_1833
7/25/12 12:44:32AM
Belfort by sub? Come on man!
Seriously though, this is the right match up and I could see it going either way.The winner should fight the winner of Stann vs Bisping to really solidify the next #1one contender as I think Weidman stole that position in his last fight. That win over Munoz was amazing!
meier
7/25/12 12:51:33AM
Well ill be my dad's son...
meier
7/25/12 12:53:33AM

Posted by frizzzlecake

Posted by bjj1605

Belforts black belt> Belchers

Belfort has ADCC Medal to prove it.

Great fight, I think someone takes a nap.

i will after work tomorrow
tcunningham
7/25/12 12:58:46AM
good matchup. i would love to see belcher win this fight. nothing against vitor, but i love an underdog, and belcher seems to have made a career out of being an underdog.
bjj1605
7/25/12 1:06:13AM
Belfort is not that good on the ground. I don't put much weight in his black belt.

Belcher beat Palhares on the ground.
cowcatcher
7/25/12 1:12:03AM
Belcher proved he is the kind of guy that wants to beat guys at their own game and I think he comes out banging with Vitor. It's really going to be just a matter of time until one of them lands on the other guy's chin and it's over. Great fight, I really can't see this one being disappointing.
FastKnockout
7/25/12 1:56:23AM

Posted by george112

I can see Belcher getting the UD if he fights smart and doesn't gas.

However Belfort imo will have superiority In physical strength

Honestly I'd give the edge to Belcher in the strength department
FastKnockout
7/25/12 2:06:06AM

Posted by bjj1605

Belfort is not that good on the ground. I don't put much weight in his black belt.

Belcher beat Palhares on the ground.

I wouldn't consider the ground and pound as "beating him on the ground" and as far as the BJJ went it was more of Belcher surviving the leg locks instead of anything offensive.
DrivenDavies15
7/25/12 2:09:11AM
This is a sick match up. This card is coming together nicely so far. As far as this fight goes, it's a tough one to call. Belcher is still quite underrated but Belfort is still an animal and showed that finishing Akiyama and Johnson. Hmmmm right now I like Belfort based on more power and is a bit faster. If the fight goes to the ground I think it could be anyone's fight. WAR
Sir_Karl
7/25/12 2:18:37AM
Belcher vs. Belfort is a great fight. I say more than likely Belcher wins it. As far as the title picture goes...I say Weidman gets the first shot, the winner of Bisping/Stann gets the next shot and then Boetsch should have to face the winner of this (Belcher/Belfort) fight to see who's next. It all lines up great and seems fair. Except for the fact that Silva is more than likely going to whoop any of them.
prophecy033
7/25/12 3:26:16AM

Posted by kopower

Nice. Should be a great fight.

I'm gonna be pulling for my boy Vitor
Poor_Franklin
7/25/12 4:39:49AM
Belcher is a big MW, so i dont see Belfort having a strength advantage.. Belfort may have the advantage striking, but i wouldnt say he's miles ahead of Alan. Roufusport's striking is not lacking. I think the ground game is a stalemate. The only way we see a sub is if someone gets rocked & the other fighter takes advantage. There is no way Belfort "runs through" Belcher, but i love that people overlook Belcher, and are counting him out just as fast as they did before the Palhares fight.
sparky
7/25/12 8:11:20AM
Belcher is going to find out first hand how hard Vitor really hits.

I'm willing to bet that Belcher wakes up looking at the ceiling lights too.
tallica62
7/25/12 9:12:23AM
this will be a doozie
prozacnation1978
7/25/12 9:38:02AM
Sweet co main event
Too bad we won't see it
Card
7/25/12 9:45:23AM
More kisses for Johnny Cash

cowcatcher
7/25/12 9:47:00AM

Posted by Card

More kisses for Johnny Cash

prophecy033
7/25/12 11:00:39AM

Posted by Poor_Franklin

Belcher is a big MW, so i dont see Belfort having a strength advantage.. Belfort may have the advantage striking, but i wouldnt say he's miles ahead of Alan. Roufusport's striking is not lacking. I think the ground game is a stalemate. The only way we see a sub is if someone gets rocked & the other fighter takes advantage. There is no way Belfort "runs through" Belcher, but i love that people overlook Belcher, and are counting him out just as fast as they did before the Palhares fight.

looks to me like its 50/50 on who will win and its leaning in Belchers direction
lll-lll
7/25/12 12:38:45PM
This is a bad match up. Belfort by murder. Ill be happy to see Belcher put back in his place. Im sick of seeing him discussed liek hes some contender because he beat one guy who isnt a world beater himself.

Now I hope this means Weidman fights Anderson!
MuayThaiGeek13
7/25/12 1:13:27PM
A deep 185 division?

oh
I-GOT-THIS-PICK
7/25/12 1:45:41PM
This is a great fight but I think Belfort wins hands down.Better on the feet ,better on the ground,only thing Belcher is better at is haveing a Johnny Cash tattoo but I'm sure if Belfort got one it would be better to...
Bubbles
7/25/12 1:51:44PM
this could be Belfort's first legit MW win in like 4 years
Pages: [1] 2