Akiyama-Leben At UFC 116 Still On Despite Akiyama Protests

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Akiyama-Leben At UFC 116 Still On Despite Akiyama Protests
DCRage
6/24/10 4:28:48PM
Fear not UFC fans; you'll get your required dose of "Sexyama" in July. Despite initial resistance and even considering withdrawing from the fight, it's been confirmed that Yoshihiro Akiyama will indeed face Chris Leben next week at UFC 116. Akiyama was to have faced a now-injured Wanderlei Silva.

Article
Jride
6/24/10 4:34:16PM
Good..

=)
RyanC
6/24/10 4:35:31PM
Well I'm glad that Akiyama decided to man up and not be scared.
jlock003
6/24/10 4:59:11PM
Money talks!
bjj1605
6/24/10 6:14:22PM
Guess his earlier statement is a moot point. Not many casual fans will hear about it and the hardcores can probably understand why he was tentative.
BlueSkiesBurn
6/24/10 6:38:44PM
I'm glad this fight is still happening but I don't harbor him any ill will for not wanting to take this fight.
BustedKnuckle
6/24/10 8:03:53PM
Glad to see Akiyama stepping up and fighting Leben. It really shouldn't affect his gamplan too awful much. Leben and Wandy styles are very similar
Hendo67
6/24/10 9:10:48PM
Why is everyone so glad that "Akiyama is stepping up" if anything i'm glad Leben is...
bjj1605
6/24/10 10:17:35PM

Posted by Hendo67

Why is everyone so glad that "Akiyama is stepping up" if anything i'm glad Leben is...

Because Akiyama came out and said he was upset about the last minute change and was thinking about not taking the fight. People are just expressing their relief that the fight is still on.
cmill21
6/24/10 11:57:13PM

Posted by Hendo67

Because if he beat Wand, well he beat Wand which is huge. You beat Leben, well thats its own answer.
ianinspain
6/25/10 7:05:10AM

It really shouldn't affect his gamplan too awful much. Leben and Wandy styles are very similar

exactly what I was thinking and really he sdhould be thinking this is an easier fight. Not easy, just easier IMO
ziegler3334
6/26/10 10:10:29AM
It may be slightly easier, but not extremely.
Leben and Wandy are more different in recognition than they are in skill- that is the reason for akiyama's tentativeness. He has far less to gain and more to lose against leben.
Leben earned soo much respect from me the past week. I wrote hi off a long time ago and thought he was a punching bag for aaron simpson, but clearly i was wrong...i think he has a decent chance against akiyama.

but i can't resist picking sexyama
Rush
6/26/10 2:27:05PM
How did Leben become this great fighter all of a sudden? Akiyama stepping up?

Leben is stepping up for the fight and IMO this fight is a step down for Akiyama, which is why I can understand his protest.
deck15
6/27/10 2:38:30AM

Posted by Rush

Leben is stepping up for the fight and IMO this fight is a step down for Akiyama, which is why I can understand his protest.

Really? Wang was great he's just an ok fighter now atleast leben still has a chin they're both slow but atleast leben knows how to throw a straight push wang is all looping hooks and would have gotten picked apart not that leben won't just he can land some punches
BlueSkiesBurn
6/27/10 2:43:10AM

Posted by deck15

Posted by Rush

Really? Wang was great he's just an ok fighter now atleast leben still has a chin they're both slow but atleast leben knows how to throw a straight push wang is all looping hooks and would have gotten picked apart not that leben won't just he can land some punches

Maybe I missed something, but who the hell is Wang?
Rush
6/27/10 12:45:55PM

Posted by deck15

The point is not whether Wanderlei is as good as he was, but whether or not Leben is as a step up from Wanderlei or a step down. IMO, he is a step down. Wanderlei may not be the same fighter, but if you look at the guys that have beat him recently they were all champions at the time or ex-champions that are still competitors (save for Chuck).

Leben has been unpredictable and has lost to many fighters that have been let go from the UFC.

Wanderlei is/was a legend in Japan and I am sure that means more to Akiyama than Leben's precarious TUF fanbase in the US.