Akiyama in the UFC

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Akiyama in the UFC
tepid55
4/11/08 12:52:20PM
How do you think Yoshihiro Akiyama would do in the UFC?
Pookie
4/11/08 1:09:34PM
I think he would do well, he's already a big guy for 185.... he has one punch power, and his judo/submission skills are on point.

And since theres only 2-3 really strong wrestlers in this division.... stylistically i think he matches up well with the division as a whole.

I think he would beat Rich Franklin
fullerene
4/11/08 1:14:40PM
The question in my mind for any overseas fighter, regardless of accomplishments, is how will they do against a big, weight-cutting wrestler with a well-rounded game. Those are the guys that make up the largest pool of contenders in the UFC but they are not as common in the non-US parts of the MMA world. I can't really say how Akiyama would do until I saw him in there, but Akiyama is a very good fighter who's taken on some much bigger fighters in his career. I think his chances are pretty good to make the adjustment and be a contender.
Pookie
4/11/08 1:17:03PM

Posted by fullerene

The question in my mind for any overseas fighter, regardless of accomplishments, is how will they do against a big, weight-cutting wrestler with a well-rounded game. Those are the guys that make up the largest pool of contenders in the UFC but they are not as common in the non-US parts of the MMA world. I can't really say how Akiyama would do until I saw him in there, but Akiyama is a very good fighter who's taken on some much bigger fighters in his career. I think his chances are pretty good to make the adjustment and be a contender.

i was thinking about that too... but in the MW division theres not many of them.
tepid55
4/11/08 1:31:30PM
I think Akiyama would be a very tough fight for Anderson Silva.
fullerene
4/11/08 4:24:28PM
Doesn't Akiyama walk around at about 180? Salient to my point, that's about what Sean Sherk weighs. I don't think he should be fighting at MW if he wants to maximize his chances. A cut to WW is what I'd suggest, unless I'm mistaken about his actual size.
Pookie
4/11/08 4:58:29PM
he was fighting at 193 for awhile... i believe.
fullerene
4/11/08 6:36:56PM
FCfighter has him listed at 178. Either way 180-190 pounds is WW range in the UFC unless you want to be the small guy in the ring.
WhiteWidow
4/11/08 6:44:42PM

Posted by tepid55

I think Akiyama would be a very tough fight for Anderson Silva.

this is what i thikn, Akiyama is one of the few MW's right now that can pose a good fight and possibly beat Anderson, would be a great investment by Dana