AHH!!! RINGWORM!!!

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » AHH!!! RINGWORM!!!
fedorwins1
8/13/07 5:58:23PM
This sucks so bad!! I'm so pissed right now, I just found out that I have ringworm! It started about 8 days ago and I thought it was a bug bite and it itched really bad. My friend who I train with just got ringworm and I started wondering if I have it. Then I looked up the symptoms on the internet and they were pretty close to what I had, so I went to my friend's mom who is a nurse and sure enough she told me I have ringworm. I'm taking Lotramin Antifungal cream right now, is there anything I could get at the local drug store that is any better? It's on the little crease between my leg and my foot and it itches like crazy! This sucks I'm out of commission for 1-2 weeks.

My gym never had a problem with it until some wrestlers came in and they spread is to one person and now everyone has it!
Mastodon2
8/13/07 6:54:53PM
Just stick with what you've got as medication. You can get some soothing creams for the itching, but once you've started a course of medication its best just to see it through, swapping medications etc can just prolong the process as one treatment leaves the body and another one takes its time to get to work. Stick with what you have now.

Spend the time you cant fight by running, skipping etc to work on your cardio, and spend time watching a lot of MMA fights and analysing techniques of your favourite fighters so you have something to get stuck into once you can train combat again
fedorwins1
8/13/07 7:06:24PM
Since it's on my foot/leg should I run or not, because if I run then my shoe/sock will rub against it. I will also hit my heavy bag (no left kicks) and shadowbox etc.
jdubs
8/13/07 10:45:45PM
ha, i posted a thing in here when i got ringworm a while back... i had the shit all up my leg and i would not go away
Mastodon2
8/14/07 8:50:12AM

Posted by fedorwins1

Since it's on my foot/leg should I run or not, because if I run then my shoe/sock will rub against it. I will also hit my heavy bag (no left kicks) and shadowbox etc.

Hmm, well if its on your leg then I'd throw the running out. Im sure you know all the stuff about cleaning your bed clothes, washing your towels properly and all that. Just do some barefoot skipping in your backyard, thats a fantastic cardio workout, and it helps your balance, timing and coordination. I try to skip instead of running where I can, it works me just as hard as running, and its less intense on my joints, while still working my heart and lungs as hard, or harder.
Signal2112
8/14/07 12:40:24PM
Yep, watch out getting that infected area sweaty and letting it rub, the last thing you want is irritation making the problem worse. And then once this is cleared up, a little talk in the gym about hygiene practices, and certain precautions that can be taken to prevent this happening again, such as washing down with anti fungal soap after a workout.
fedorwins1
8/14/07 12:49:26PM
Yeah they didn't have a problem with it but then some wrestlers came in and now everyone has it. I'm going to get some anti fungal soap to prevent this from happening again.
Signal2112
8/14/07 1:06:18PM
Thats the thing like, everyone can be fine and it only takes one guy to get it and then everyone who trains there could get it!
fedorwins1
8/14/07 4:51:10PM
Is it alright if I go swimming, because I love to swim.
Signal2112
8/14/07 5:25:38PM
I'd probably recommend you stay out of bodies of water you have to share with other people for a while.
ncordless
8/16/07 1:11:34AM
I knew a guy who got it on the top of his head and he now has weird abcess bald spots. Take your meds and get better!
tommyprairie
8/16/07 11:38:11AM
I have been involved in wrestling for 20 years and have had it a few times and seen it far too many times. The best thing to do is to rub a damp cloth on it before you apply the cream to open it up. Also, it is a virus, so I would have you try the cream first and if that does not work use the pills. The more you use the pills and cream the less effective they are. Also, if it is somewhere you don't moind a small scar for a few months. Bleach will kill it in about 2 days.
fedorwins1
8/16/07 1:50:23PM

Posted by tommyprairie

I have been involved in wrestling for 20 years and have had it a few times and seen it far too many times. The best thing to do is to rub a damp cloth on it before you apply the cream to open it up. Also, it is a virus, so I would have you try the cream first and if that does not work use the pills. The more you use the pills and cream the less effective they are. Also, if it is somewhere you don't moind a small scar for a few months. Bleach will kill it in about 2 days.

Yeah but with bleach doesn't it leave a scar? I just want to get back to training as soon as I can. It sucks it doesn't do anything it's just there......
fedorwins1
8/16/07 5:58:12PM
Ok I was told by someone that it's not contagious after a few days, is this true or is it BS?
bayonetxwork
8/16/07 6:23:43PM

Posted by fedorwins1

Ok I was told by someone that it's not contagious after a few days, is this true or is it BS?

Sounds about right. Most infections like that are not contagious after on antibiotics for a few days, I'd still check with a doctor to make sure though.
fedorwins1
8/16/07 6:58:36PM

Posted by bayonetxwork

Posted by fedorwins1

Sounds about right. Most infections like that are not contagious after on antibiotics for a few days, I'd still check with a doctor to make sure though.

Well it's not antibiotics, it's a cream. It doesn't seem to be getting any better though. I might go to the docs.
patupman
8/16/07 7:36:30PM
IT MIGHT SOUND CRAZY BUT JUST CUT IT OUT THATS WHAT I DID BACK WEN I LIVED ON A FARM AND WE GETTEM OR US KAROSEEN (SP) IT HURTS LIKE HELL BUT IT KILLS EM
fedorwins1
8/16/07 7:38:57PM
Uhh that's ok I think I'll just use the cream
bayonetxwork
8/16/07 7:39:43PM

Posted by patupman

IT MIGHT SOUND CRAZY BUT JUST CUT IT OUT THATS WHAT I DID BACK WEN I LIVED ON A FARM AND WE GETTEM OR US KAROSEEN (SP) IT HURTS LIKE HELL BUT IT KILLS EM

Famous words from my main man, Matt Hughes.

fedor, seriously hit up the doctor though. no point of wasting time when it will only take a couple days to get rid of with the right meds.
SSfighter51
8/16/07 11:32:27PM
i dont see why people blame us wrestlers for ring worm (its a stereotype), ive seen it on more bjj'ers than wrestlers over the past year or so......
Mastodon2
8/17/07 4:22:07AM
I've never seen ringworm at all...

I love training Muay Thai exclusively
fedorwins1
8/17/07 12:58:42PM

Posted by SSfighter51

i dont see why people blame us wrestlers for ring worm (its a stereotype), ive seen it on more bjj'ers than wrestlers over the past year or so......

Well it was wrestlers this time....they do BJJ in the off season and one of them had ringworm and didn't say anything.
tommyprairie
8/17/07 5:46:23PM
The way to tell if it is contagious is if it is raised off the skin. Or if you rub it and it turns red.
bayonetxwork
8/17/07 6:34:24PM

Posted by SSfighter51

Thats usually because one wrestler infects a whole team of bjj'ers!

ahaha, just joking with you.
Stickan
8/23/07 2:13:20PM
I taped up my ringworm real tight when I was training and used Lamisil. Lamisil is the shit and is used against fungus, which ring worm is. Got rid of it in 2 weeks.
fedorwins1
8/23/07 2:21:21PM
Yeah I'm going back tonight the trainer said it was ok I just need to tape it up. He said since it's all dried out now it's not contagious.
akumairon
8/23/07 9:33:20PM
cut it out