With aging gladiator retired, UFC 143 to debut new 60-second 'show opener'

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » With aging gladiator retired, UFC 143 to debut new 60-second 'show opener'
FastKnockout
2/2/12 6:14:06PM
It appears the UFC's famed gladiator is no more.

The UFC will debut a new 60-second opening for its pay-per-view events at this weekend's "UFC 143: Diaz vs. Condit" show in Las Vegas. It'll replace the one that's been in use for nearly a decade.

The segment, which was produced by the digital-production company Digital Domain (and sister company Mothership), features highlights from 18 of the UFC's most iconic fights.

LINK
Poor_Franklin
2/2/12 6:31:54PM
eager anticipation
Bubbles
2/2/12 6:32:11PM
lohmann
2/2/12 6:32:43PM
Does this include replacing the fantastically bad nu-metal song that's cheesed up their intro since before Ken Shamrock was a serious title contender? I remember introducing my friends to UFC events in early 2010, and the first question they asked was, "Did this stuff even exist in the 90s?" (It did, and Zuffa succeeded in running away from its no-holds-barred, human-cockfighting roots a long time ago. Sans the intro.)

I'm glad the UFC's made the change. I have a feeling some Fox marketing rep saw a telecast, and his first note was "Russell Crowe won an Oscar in 2000 and I think I heard this band on the classic rock station recently."

Long overdue move on the UFC's part.
warglory
2/2/12 7:32:41PM
Thank god, this has been a long time coming. That stupid intro is so tired.
BeeR
2/2/12 7:38:39PM
Stemm sucks

next up, get rid of the unbelievably homosexual TUF song.

very gay.
very.
BuffaloDave
2/2/12 7:46:09PM
R.I.P. UFC Gladiator
DrivenDavies15
2/2/12 8:20:23PM
I actually liked the intro, it always got me pumped up but it's gonna be nice to try something new
mrsmiley
2/2/12 9:35:00PM
can't wait to see what they come up with.

I wonder what fights they'll highlight?

I'm sure Griffin/Bonnar
Perhaps Liddel vs Wandy
Anderson vs anyone

DeadHead988
2/2/12 9:42:13PM
The intro that they played when I was at UFC on Fox 2 (idk if they showed it on tv) was fucking incredible. It was a stunning montage of fights set to Baba O'Riley by the Who and was probably my favorite part of the event.
Bubbles
2/2/12 10:03:09PM

Posted by DeadHead988

The intro that they played when I was at UFC on Fox 2 (idk if they showed it on tv) was fucking incredible. It was a stunning montage of fights set to Baba O'Riley by the Who and was probably my favorite part of the event.

i believe they do that at most, if not all, events. I saw the same thing at 129 and 113
Lesnar1
2/2/12 10:04:39PM
I'll miss the old Gladiator intro, but it's definitely time they updated the intro. I'm guessing some of those 18 most epic fights highlighted will be Bonnar/Griffin 1, Lidell/Silva, Edgar/Maynard 2 & Hendo/Shogun are some that come to mind, gonna be cool to see what they come up with.
grappler0000
2/2/12 10:21:39PM

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by DeadHead988

i believe they do that at most, if not all, events. I saw the same thing at 129 and 113

They play it at every event. They do update it frequently though with some newer footage. The same thing came to mind for me when they mentioned how many fights would get highlighted. If they make one half as good as the Baba O'Riley highlight, they'll have a winner. I'd settle for a trimmed down version of it, but I don't know if that would be enough time to do it justice.

Edit: If there's anybody that hasn't been to a live UFC event, here is a version from a few years ago. It has evolved quite a bit since then. It's also strange that this has lasted that long on youtube. They used to aggressively take videos of it down.

Video
tallica62
2/2/12 11:13:07PM
I was gonna comment on my sadness of the change, but then I read all the comments and got discouraged...but I'm writing this so not discouraged enough

I like Stemm and the intro - will always bring back a nostalgic feeling...it's like trying to change the Saved by the Bell theme song...it's just not the same without it - not matter how bad
Budgellism
2/2/12 11:27:38PM

Posted by DrivenDavies15

I actually liked the intro, it always got me pumped up but it's gonna be nice to try something new

I liked it too. Hopefully they come up with something not too cheesy.

It's not like this will turn me away from the UFC though so I guess it doesn't really matter when it comes down to it.
Adrenaline
2/2/12 11:40:03PM

Posted by tallica62

it's like trying to change the Saved by the Bell theme song...it's just not the same without it - not matter how bad

Well, I wake up in the morning,
And the 'larm gives out a warning,
And I don't think I'll ever make it on time.

By the time I grab my books,
And I give myself a look,
I'm at the corner, just in time to see the bus fly by.

It's all right, 'cos I'm Saved by the Bell.

If the teacher pops a test,
I know I'm in a mess,
And my dog ate all my homework last night.

Riding low in my chair,
She won't know that I'm there,
If I can hand it in tomorrow it'll be all right.

It's all right, 'cos I'm Saved by the Bell.

Still one of my all time favorite shows.
Bubbles
2/3/12 12:06:54AM
pshh that show aint got nuttin on Fresh Prince
prophecy033
2/3/12 12:29:31AM

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by DrivenDavies15

It's not like this will turn me away from the UFC though so I guess it doesn't really matter when it comes down to it.

I like it a whole helluva lot better then that damn NFL music.
DeadHead988
2/3/12 8:06:13PM

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by DrivenDavies15

I honestly don't think it can get any cheesier than it already is
bjj1605
2/3/12 8:30:58PM
I really liked the intro.

It got me pumped up and I think that the Gladiator analogy is a good one.
prozacnation1978
2/3/12 10:25:58PM
I read about the 60 sec clip shows highlights of over 20 fights in Ufc history. I am eager to see it tommorrow
Boo_Radley21
2/5/12 8:56:48PM
Exciting news but regardless of how dumb the gladiator was their highlight videos where the fighters said a few things about eachother and then it showed everyones kickass highlights
Cooler
2/5/12 11:06:16PM
Isn't the Stemm song part of the Gladiator theme? All they did was extend the intro with a different pre-intro and kept everything the same. How is this any different or significant, yes the production was great and I dig the new pre-intro but I was under the impression that it was a whole new themed intro all together. Same old crappy metal song.