'Aggressive' Jon Fitch plans on 'grinding out' BJ Penn in Sydney

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » 'Aggressive' Jon Fitch plans on 'grinding out' BJ Penn in Sydney
pmoney
12/25/10 11:08:12AM
Perennial welterweight contender Jon Fitch, who may be one big win away from challenging for the 170-pound title (again), talks about the type of performance we can expect on Feb. 27 in Sydney, Australia.

Article
chickmagnet
12/25/10 1:51:16PM
He grinds out every opponent. He leg rides them to a victory. This is MMA, not college wrestling.

He wont be able to do that with Penn. I hope Penn massacres him.
SamPan
12/25/10 4:26:00PM
The risk for Fitch will be in the beginning of each round, when he tries to close the distance and get the TD. After that tho, I think he can hang on and avoid the sub. Fitch UD
Rush
12/25/10 4:53:07PM
Fitch, albeit bigger and stronger than BJ, does not have dynamic enough takedowns to get BJ to the mat. I may be remembering incorrectly but Fitch gets a lot of takedowns on the fence, where BJ is pretty strong defensively.

I am predicting a UD for BJ with the fight mostly taking place standing and failed cage work by Fitch.
ncordless
12/25/10 5:57:27PM
Breaking news!!!: "Yellow" Sun plans on "rising in the east."
king_katool
12/25/10 8:32:45PM

Posted by ncordless

Breaking news!!!: "Yellow" Sun plans on "rising in the east."

prozacnation1978
12/25/10 9:34:55PM
Fitch is agressive and relentless
He will grind and drag penn down via gsp for three rounds
Penn can tag him and should be able to sub him out
PeNn will need to end this fight quick
steve_mckay
12/26/10 1:07:48AM
I agree. Fitch is relentless.

His stand up is improving and I believe it will eventually catch up to his wrestling. Even though he isn't knocking people out and isn't so confident with it he is getting better every fight. I trained muay thai at a gym in Thailand and it was cool to hear that fitch had been there working on his stand up.

Most people will probably agree that Fitch can win this fight and grind out a decision. His size should be a factor in this fight.

It is possible BJ could out box Fitch and keep the fight standing but I think Fitch will use his size to wear BJ out and finish him on the ground.
tcunningham
12/26/10 3:00:45AM
fitch is one of the very best wrestler in the UFC. he WILL get penn down theres no doubt about that. fitch is a huge welterweight and penn is a small one, thats not a good match up for penn IMO. definitely fitch by UD via grindage
Pookie
12/26/10 3:07:23AM

Posted by tcunningham

fitch is one of the very best wrestler in the UFC. he WILL get penn down theres no doubt about that. fitch is a huge welterweight and penn is a small one, thats not a good match up for penn IMO. definitely fitch by UD via grindage

I'll say that Fitch's combo of Wrestling/BJJ make him one of the very best grapplers in the UFC, but i dont think he's on of the best wrestlers. His takedowns can be lacking if he cant close the distance and force the clinch. The best wrestlers in the promotion can shoot-in to take you down AND take you down from the clinch. I'd put him behind Jones, Pierre, Koscheck, Maynard, Velasquez, and Sonnen as far as takedowns are concerned.
warglory
12/26/10 10:43:51AM

Posted by Pookie

Posted by tcunningham

I'll say that Fitch's combo of Wrestling/BJJ make him one of the very best grapplers in the UFC, but i dont think he's on of the best wrestlers. His takedowns can be lacking if he cant close the distance and force the clinch. The best wrestlers in the promotion can shoot-in to take you down AND take you down from the clinch. I'd put him behind Jones, Pierre, Koscheck, Maynard, Velasquez, and Sonnen as far as takedowns are concerned.

Wrestling isn't just about take downs though, it's about control, and Fitch does just that in every single one of his matches except for the GSP fight.
icantthinkofanything
12/26/10 12:35:38PM

Fitch should throw lots of punches on the ground, and have the ref pull him off.

I expect Fitch to win by grindage UD.
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
pmoney
12/27/10 12:38:07AM
No way Penn walks through Fitch like he just did to Hughes. Fitch takes it, finally gets another title shot.
Drudinh
12/27/10 5:37:23AM

Posted by pmoney

No way Penn walks through Fitch like he just did to Hughes. Fitch takes it, finally gets another title shot.

you should be able to underline FINALLY