Agent: Bonds Is Done

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Agent: Bonds Is Done
DCRage
12/10/09 11:15:52AM
According to ESPN. Amen...

Barry Bonds still has yet to formally retire from baseball. But the career of the major leagues' reigning home run king is over, his agent says, according to the San Francisco Chronicle.

Bonds has insisted he won't retire, leaving open the possibility that he might yet catch on with another team. But that hasn't happened, and his agent doubts that it ever will, according to the report.

"It's two years since he played his last game, and if there was any chance he'd be back in a major-league uniform, it would have happened by now," his agent, Jeff Borris, said Wednesday, according to the report.

Bonds, now 45, last played in 2007, when he led the National League in three offensive categories with the San Francisco Giants. But in November of 2007, a federal grand jury indicted him on perjury charges, alleging he lied when he testified he had never knowingly used performance-enhancing drugs.

No free agent offers came the following winter and spring.

"When 2008 came around, I couldn't get him a job. When 2009 came around, I couldn't get him a job. Now, 2010 ... I'd say it's nearly impossible," Borris said, according to the report. "It's an unfortunate ending to a storied career."

If it's truly over for Bonds, his career ends with 762 home runs, 1,996 runs batted in and seven National League MVP awards.

Of course that should be 762*. Also means HOF eligibility a year or two sooner but I don't know if he gets in because of the drug use and the perjury charges, among other things.
emfleek
12/10/09 11:19:13AM
...and this comes as a surprise to who?
DCRage
12/10/09 11:46:50AM
Bonds?
spikerman19
12/10/09 11:57:27AM

Posted by DCRage

Bonds?

If your going to put an asterisk next to 762, then you need to put an asterisk next to every record set prior to the 1948 season. What records would be different if they allowed every one to play.
bojangalz
12/10/09 1:50:07PM
I was a VERY big Bonds fan. He got me into baseball back in his Pirates days. The saddest part of the whole deal is the fact that he was HOF bound long before the suggestions of PED's began to haunt him. The guy had three MVP trophies by the mid 90's and was one of the very best five-tool (ok, maybe 4 1/2 tools cause his arm wasn't the best) in the game. He was a terror on the basepaths, could run down any damn fly ball that came his way, had very decent average and the power was obvious too.

He just got too damn greedy and it was his undoing. I don't have the time of passion to follow baseball too closely anymore but I'll say this much for sure-

Bonds numbers may be tainted by the PED allegations. But when you put into context what he was able to accomplish when better the 75% of the league was doing the EXACT same stuff, that's still damn impressive. I think it's much easier to compare numbers from one era to another and see the effects of PED's then it is to compare players from within any given era. It's obvious the general landscape of inflated stats in this generation of ball players can be attributed largely to PED's (and smaller parks). But given the wide spread use of those drugs throughout the game, it's not fair to single out Barry as a poster child for evil.

It's been a while since I followed the numbers but I know that when I stopped paying attention more pitchers had been banned for PED's then all other positions combined. If a juiced hitter goes deep off a juiced pitcher then the playing field is pretty damn even if you ask me.
emfleek
12/10/09 3:19:33PM

Posted by bojangalz

I was a VERY big Bonds fan. He got me into baseball back in his Pirates days. The saddest part of the whole deal is the fact that he was HOF bound long before the suggestions of PED's began to haunt him. The guy had three MVP trophies by the mid 90's and was one of the very best five-tool (ok, maybe 4 1/2 tools cause his arm wasn't the best) in the game. He was a terror on the basepaths, could run down any damn fly ball that came his way, had very decent average and the power was obvious too.

He just got too damn greedy and it was his undoing. I don't have the time of passion to follow baseball too closely anymore but I'll say this much for sure-

Bonds numbers may be tainted by the PED allegations. But when you put into context what he was able to accomplish when better the 75% of the league was doing the EXACT same stuff, that's still damn impressive. I think it's much easier to compare numbers from one era to another and see the effects of PED's then it is to compare players from within any given era. It's obvious the general landscape of inflated stats in this generation of ball players can be attributed largely to PED's (and smaller parks). But given the wide spread use of those drugs throughout the game, it's not fair to single out Barry as a poster child for evil.

It's been a while since I followed the numbers but I know that when I stopped paying attention more pitchers had been banned for PED's then all other positions combined. If a juiced hitter goes deep off a juiced pitcher then the playing field is pretty damn even if you ask me.

telnights
12/10/09 3:30:03PM
Well Barry was a great player and I don't think it would have been half as bad for him if he had just been honest. We know a large number of players used PEDs. But Barry didn't say yeah I did what he did is lied to the public and treated his fans like they were stupid. PEDs has had huge impact on baseball and I'm not sure if it will ever recover from it. Ever since PEDs became common place the records started to be broken left and right. If you compare the clean ear to the non-clean era its easy to see PEDs had a huge impact on the sport. The other reason Barry became the poster child of PEDs is because he broke THE RECORD that's held up highest in baseball and most people (me included) feel he did so because of PEDs.