UFC 94 afterthoughts

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » UFC 94 afterthoughts
cowcatcher
2/1/09 7:45:07PM
i just have a hodgepodge of things to touch on that i found interesting at UFC 94 yesterday upon watching the fights again today.

first, wow lots of decisions, there were a few people i talked to on here that also expected this, but i dont think any of us thought there would be 7.

did penn really get beat that bad by someone???? i expected a close fight with gsp winning, but for him to dominate like that, and be quicker with everything he did that the guy coming up in weight to meet him was nothing short of incredible. i saw the thread, but nice tranny kissing bj too, time to beef up security, that was disturbing.

guida could give booger from revenge of the nerds a run in a belching contest, i didnt see anyone else mention this yet(i havent read all the threads) but i couldnt stop cracking up between rounds.

machida is perfect for the undisputed video game, if he doesnt look like a real life video game character when hes in his stance and dancing around the ring i dont know who does. great job by him in the fight too, few doubts are left about him IMO, his shot is coming soon.

jon jones is a star in the making. if he didnt have you on the edge of your seat wondering what he was going to throw next, then you need to check your pulse. the shot he dropped bonnar with was to the back of the head, but in a situation like that you cant really call an illegal blow, who in the hell could have seen that coming much less where it landed live, cant fault the ref. bonnar is a tough guy and has some really good fights left in him, he walks through almost everything, underrated chin on that guy.

im not a diaz fan but nate wasnt a bad loser in a decision that was fairly close and he could have pouted about and put on as good of a fight as he could with guida constantly stuck to him. both guys are legit at 155 and can hang with anyone.
cowcatcher
2/1/09 8:28:47PM
one more thing, does the absolute demolishing of bj by gsp ruin any chance of a match between gsp and anderson silva? if this fight had been competitive then i could see them giving gsp a shot and anderson down the road, i think dana might just nix any ideas about that now and chalk it up to the size difference being too much to overcome for gsp as great as he is. a future superfight may have just been wiped from the table, and if so that sucks as a fan, but i can see why they wouldnt want to put it together at this point.
EvenFlow
2/1/09 8:31:51PM

Posted by cowcatcher

one more thing, does the absolute demolishing of bj by gsp ruin any chance of a match between gsp and anderson silva? if this fight had been competitive then i could see them giving gsp a shot and anderson down the road, i think dana might just nix any ideas about that now and chalk it up to the size difference being too much to overcome for gsp as great as he is. a future superfight may have just been wiped from the table, and if so that sucks as a fan, but i can see why they wouldnt want to put it together at this point.

I think his performance shows hes not ready for someone the caliber of Anderson, for the 1st round he couldnt get BJ down and hes a LW, granted a great LW but Anderson is taller, stronger (imo) and has better JJ and striking than GSP, so in my mind I see dana saying no to the matchup and waiting to see how the Thiago fight plays out, which isnt going to be good for GSP.
tuvok500
2/1/09 8:39:22PM
First of, GSP will beat Silva so no problemo.

Second , GSP will arrive prepared, top shape , with a great game plan if this fight happen.

Third, if Cote was perfectly ok after 2 rd with Silva and Travis Lutter took the full mount on him, i say GSP will be ok too.
Franklin just don't have the style to face Silva.

forth, Dana want this fight to happen just by thinking about the cash that he will do and by knowing for sure that GSP is strong and big enough to face a 185 champ.

And last thing GSP train with bigger, stronger and better fighters in all area than Silva all the time, Rashad is a good example.

And last thing, GSP is the best wrestler in mma all division included, Silva never came close to face a guy like him and please down bring Hendo here, it will make me laugh to dead.

WAR GSP !!

tuvok500
2/1/09 8:42:29PM

Posted by EvenFlow

Posted by cowcatcher

I think his performance shows hes not ready for someone the caliber of Anderson, for the 1st round he couldnt get BJ down and hes a LW, granted a great LW but Anderson is taller, stronger (imo) and has better JJ and striking than GSP, so in my mind I see dana saying no to the matchup and waiting to see how the Thiago fight plays out, which isnt going to be good for GSP.

i take GSP by murder and them i will give you another shot and pick GSP to beat Silva , are you backing your words dude ??

EvenFlow
2/1/09 8:45:39PM

Posted by tuvok500

Posted by EvenFlow

Posted by cowcatcher

i take GSP by murder and them i will give you another shot and pick GSP to beat Silva , are you backing your words dude ??

Okay, remind me when the fight comes...if you remember this months from now

"insert witty comment here"
grappler0000
2/1/09 9:08:07PM
I actually did see the decisions coming. I told the wife that we may see more decisions than we ever have...and sure enough. I actually picked 7 decisions, where I think my most previously was maybe 3 or 4. What I didn't see coming was all of the SD's...I thought there might be one or two, but I thought I would play it safe and pick all UD's as opposed to trying to figure out which ones would come down to a split...that apparently didn't work in my favor.

Jones definitely impressed. I knew he'd overwhelm Bonnar early on, but I thought that Stephan would be able to pull his stuff together as the fight went on. Either way, I'll be excited to see his next fight, whoever it may be.

I've been a believer of Machida for quite some time, so I was glad he was able to answer any questions that people may have had. With the exception of a couple people in the division who might give him a few problems, I see him running through the rest of the division.

I picked Guida to win, but due to the reach difference, I was a little concerned going into the fight...especially after seeing the height difference at the weigh-ins. I would probably give the nod to Diaz, but I got the points, so I can't complain too much I guess. I'm sure this win probably righted a couple of wrongs in Clay's previous decisions...although I'm not sure that Nate deserved the loss as a result.

I think Dana doesn't want to jump right into a GSP/Silva superfight immediately, but I think he'll warm up to it over the next several months.
FrankTheTank1181
2/1/09 9:19:53PM
Anyone else hear Thiago Alves say Shitle Tot instead of Title Shot?
tmas
2/1/09 9:25:49PM

Posted by tuvok500

Second , GSP will arrive prepared, top shape , with a great game plan if this fight happen.

Third, if Cote was perfectly ok after 2 rd with Silva and Travis Lutter took the full mount on him, i say GSP will be ok too.

forth, Dana want this fight to happen just by thinking about the cash that he will do and by knowing for sure that GSP is strong and big enough to face a 185 champ.

And last thing GSP train with bigger, stronger and better fighters in all area than Silva all the time, Rashad is a good example.

And last thing, GSP is the best wrestler in mma all division included, Silva never came close to face a guy like him and please down bring Hendo here, it will make me laugh to dead.

WAR GSP !!

whatever you smokin share that stuff.
tuvok500
2/1/09 9:33:43PM

Posted by EvenFlow

Posted by tuvok500

Posted by EvenFlow

Posted by cowcatcher

Okay, remind me when the fight comes...if you remember this months from now

"insert witty comment here"

i guess it is gonna be at UFC 100
grappler0000
2/1/09 9:39:57PM

Posted by FrankTheTank1181

FrankTheTank1181
2/1/09 9:49:27PM

Posted by grappler0000

jawbreaker517
2/1/09 9:57:56PM
I couldn't believe my eyes. I am not a huge Penn fan, but I did think he was going to submit GSP
prozacnation1978
2/1/09 10:31:55PM
i know guida belching between rounds made me lose my damm appetite
hear i grad a slice of pizza hear his guida make his mating call and down my slice of pizza goes back in the box.

i have to say jon jones looked really good, and he is very young he can grow big time

guida looked awesome he needs to stay on the main cards man

machida left all doubters and he is ready and well deserves his title shot

penn i have to say i pretty much went from a bj penn fan to a anti fan this past month watching him trash talk georges, call him out, talk alot of smack then when they fight penn is just manhandled, quits and then accuses george of cheating and files a protest

he is one winey sour closer and i hope florian beats him down

i do see both rashad, george and bj defending their belts in july ufc 100
it was a shame for once that we didn't get to see a extra fight on the pay per view
sparky
2/1/09 11:19:06PM

HAHAAHAH ya bro me and my buddies started howling when he said that!

I truthfully thought GSP was going to finish BJ sooner then he did GSP is one win away from being the best pound for pound fighter in the world. Bring on Anderson Silva so GSP can certify his legacy!
bojangalz
2/2/09 5:20:01AM

Posted by sparky

HAHAAHAH ya bro me and my buddies started howling when he said that!

I truthfully thought GSP was going to finish BJ sooner then he did GSP is one win away from being the best pound for pound fighter in the world. Bring on Anderson Silva so GSP can certify his legacy!

First off, he didn't say Shitle Tot. I think he was saying "I really want to get a shot at the title.

But if you listen, just before the fans start booing it sounds like he says "You looked really gay."

See for yourself!
RNC
2/2/09 9:12:40AM

Posted by tuvok500

You also forgot to mention Dan Henderson, who held his own with Silva for the first half of the first round, clinching and striking. Then he GNP'd Silva out for second half. Then he came out standing in the second, decided to stand with Silva for a little while, and Anderson decided he wanted to put him away.

All it takes is standing with this guy for 30 seconds to get you in trouble. I am confident in GSP and I picked him to dominate BJ the way that he did, but don't be so sure it will be that easy of a fight. Anderson Silva will be a MUCH harder of a fight than BJ was.

Silva is a much better striker, has equivilant JJ, and unlike BJ, will have size strength and cardio on his side. If GSP tries to clinch with him all round long like he did with BJ, its going to be a MUCH different story, ala Rich Franklin. This means if GSP can't clinch, in order to get Silva down he will have to strike and shoot, which will put him in a very dangerous situation standing with Silva.

holt8081
2/2/09 12:01:33PM
Im not shure why BJ did not fight back, he did nothing to show that he wanted to win.
jocka
2/2/09 12:25:37PM

Posted by RNC

Posted by tuvok500

You also forgot to mention Dan Henderson, who held his own with Silva for the first half of the first round, clinching and striking. Then he GNP'd Silva out for second half. Then he came out standing in the second, decided to stand with Silva for a little while, and Anderson decided he wanted to put him away.

All it takes is standing with this guy for 30 seconds to get you in trouble. I am confident in GSP and I picked him to dominate BJ the way that he did, but don't be so sure it will be that easy of a fight. Anderson Silva will be a MUCH harder of a fight than BJ was.

Silva is a much better striker, has equivilant JJ, and unlike BJ, will have size strength and cardio on his side. If GSP tries to clinch with him all round long like he did with BJ, its going to be a MUCH different story, ala Rich Franklin. This means if GSP can't clinch, in order to get Silva down he will have to strike and shoot, which will put him in a very dangerous situation standing with Silva.

I think that GSP has the wrestling and GnP skills to put silva on the ground and pound out a decision. BUT he needs to take this fight to the ground in the first 20 secs of the fight since Silva does not need a lot of time to figure out the wholes in your standup.

I personnaly was always disapointed in Silva's wrestling skills so i think that GSP style is perfect to beat Silva.

Is this fight happens i will be rooting for GSP but i totally realize that it is a tough fight to call
RNC
2/2/09 11:00:05PM

Posted by jocka

Posted by RNC

Posted by tuvok500

I think that GSP has the wrestling and GnP skills to put silva on the ground and pound out a decision. BUT he needs to take this fight to the ground in the first 20 secs of the fight since Silva does not need a lot of time to figure out the wholes in your standup.

I personnaly was always disapointed in Silva's wrestling skills so i think that GSP style is perfect to beat Silva.

Is this fight happens i will be rooting for GSP but i totally realize that it is a tough fight to call

I agree completely. Anderson Silva's striking is incredible and his JJ is high class as well. However, he has no wrestling skills apparently.. hell, the man doesn't even try and wrestle. When both Lutter and Henderson took him down he made little effort to sprawl or even put up a fight. Honestly, I believe it is because he knows that he can control you from stopping the fight off his back, and he doesn't care if he loses a round because it's only a matter of time before he knocks you out.

I once picked GSP to beat Anderson if they fought, but now I've reconsidered. I look at it this way. If GSP comes out fighting Silva like he fought BJ, clinching against the cage.. he will lose. If GSP comes out fighting Silva like he fought Fitch, standing and striking for long periods of time until the opening for the shot came.. he will lose. The only possible way GSP can win is if he drives Silva straight to the mat and GNP's until Silva is too tired/beat up to strike efficiently in the later rounds. I beleive GSP is capable of that, the man is a tremendous althlete, a monster of a fighter and executes game plans to a tee. I
If someone's going to beat Anderson, St. Pierre is up there on the list. But until I see it happen, I'll be sticking with the Spider... for now at least.