UFC 78 Aftermath Discussion Thread

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » UFC 78 Aftermath Discussion Thread
hotrodttt
11/18/07 1:28:33AM
A lot of questions need to be answered after 78 and I will answer them

Akikiro Gono - I see Gono moving up the ranks in the 170 pound division, I think he mabey fights the winner of Jess Liaudin vs Marcus Davis. Great win for the Pride Veteran

Thiago Alves - Man this fighter is impressive. He should definatly fight within the top 5 of the 170 lbs'ers. I think he fights a guy like Karo Parisyan or Jon Fitch.

Joe Lauzon- He went out there and destoyed tonight. I think he deserves a big test like Marcus Aurelio or a guy like Matt Grice

Frankie Edgar - He just keeps on winning, he is a great young talent and I think he deserves Ken Flo. This would be a great fight and mabey for # 1 contendership

Ed Herman - I think he looked awesome, he got caught in a triangle but the round came to an end. I think we see Belcher vs Ed

Thiago Silva - Thiago has great things to come, I see him fighting a guy like Keith Jardine.

Rashad Evans - He has improved so much since the Ultimate Fighter, I see him fighting somebody like Forrest Griffin or Wilson Goveia
Lord_Lenny
11/18/07 1:33:15AM
From what i heard Alves was losing before he cut lytle

along with fisher vs edgar this was the most interesting match to me. Was he really impressive enough to be fighting top five now?
kopower
11/18/07 1:36:57AM
I agree with everything. Imo the fights were boring tonight. I was expecting a lot more. Hopefully the next card will have some excitement. I really thought there could have been multiple fight of the night nominees but almost all of the televised bouts did not produce. I was really disappointed with spencer fischer. Didn't look good at all. Props to Edgar for dominating the fight.
hotrodttt
11/18/07 1:37:37AM

Posted by Lord_Lenny

along with fisher vs edgar this was the most interesting match to me. Was he really impressive enough to be fighting top five now?

Yeah I think that Frankie is a bad style for anyone @ 155, he has good wrestling, boxing, and a decent ground game, He has definatly earned a shot at Ken Flo and many other top 155ers
edge0125
11/18/07 1:39:31AM

Posted by hotrodttt
Joe Lauzon- He went out there and destoyed tonight. I think he deserves a big test like Marcus Aurelio or a guy like Matt Grice

????? Matt Grice

How would matt grice test a guy like joe lauzon; Lauzon would kill Grice on the ground and he would destroy him on the stand up.
tuvok500
11/18/07 1:40:00AM
good card !!

not the greatest but it was good !!

evans gassed at the second rd it was strange ?!?!

silva did a great job to put houston on his back and finished the fight with a tko !!

fisher / edgar was not the fight of the night for sure neither karo / chonan !!

lauzon was very good and herman too even if i got scare at the end of the second rd !! LOL

Lord_Lenny
11/18/07 1:42:53AM

Posted by hotrodttt

Posted by Lord_Lenny

Yeah I think that Frankie is a bad style for anyone @ 155, he has good wrestling, boxing, and a decent ground game, He has definatly earned a shot at Ken Flo and many other top 155ers

Yeah id like to see Florian vs. Edgar, but i was asking about Alves fighting guys like Fitch and Karo

Oh.. i forgot they didnt show this fight, id be interested to see this one to see where Alves ranks up
Styles
11/18/07 1:44:28AM

Posted by Lord_Lenny

Posted by hotrodttt

Posted by Lord_Lenny

Yeah id like to see Florian vs. Edgar, but i was asking about Alves fighting guys like Fitch and Karo

I dont think Alves could hang with Fitch...IMO

Edgar looked awesome tonight, def. surprised me
hotrodttt
11/18/07 1:47:12AM

Posted by Lord_Lenny

Posted by hotrodttt

Posted by Lord_Lenny

Oh.. i forgot they didnt show this fight, id be interested to see this one to see where Alves ranks up

Yeah I think Alves is very underated, he could definatly hang with the top UFC welterweights. He was the Brazilian Muay Thai champ and is very good on the ground.
Lord_Lenny
11/18/07 1:49:16AM

Posted by Styles

Nah i dont think so either, from what i hear he was losing before the cut, but hotrodttt mentioned him fighting top five, so i thought he might have looked impressive or something. I would like to see him fight swick if he moves down.
hotrodttt
11/18/07 1:55:35AM
Karo was no so impressive but I think he should get Fitch, that would be a pretty good fight
Lord_Lenny
11/18/07 1:59:53AM
man there's a lot of guys in the title picture at WW, what i wouldnt give for a WW grand prix about now
Styles
11/18/07 2:00:00AM

Posted by Lord_Lenny

Posted by Styles

Nah i dont think so either, from what i hear he was losing before the cut, but hotrodttt mentioned him fighting top five, so i thought he might have looked impressive or something. I would like to see him fight swick if he moves down.

Honestly I dont know about Swick either. I would say Burkman or Karo would be a good match up to prove something.
cmill21
11/18/07 2:18:41AM
Well I have a thing or two to say about tonight. I think for all the people who wine and bitch about machida being boring should watch a Karo fight, at least Machida is the bangin trying to finish it. Karo is getting on my nerves with his grinding out of decisions. Also Rashad is annoying me, he reminds me of Kos, talking alooot especially about Ko's but he doesn't show much against better opponents like tito or bisping. Sorry to all of the guys who broke their ankles jumping off the Houston bandwagon, they'll heal and you'll jump on another one soon . I think he needs to find a better coach, he's got talent, and had he been taught some sort of ground defense he would have survived. I love chute boxe and now people who didn't know why do now, they produce great fighters, and they truly are great fighters, if you get a chance watch one of their training sessions on youtube, you'll see why the guys get injured, but you'll also see why their such warriors. Decently happy with tonight, lauzon won but well he needs a better test, all in all decent event, luckily UFC 79 is turning into a sick ass card.
box111574
11/18/07 9:22:02AM
i think we should see thiago silva vs keith jardine too thiago deserves it after desposing of alexander so quickly.
Muay-Thai_Mogwai
11/18/07 3:17:25PM
Ufc 78 was one of the most borig ppv's. Rashad evans sucks ass and does not belong in the UFC or any mma event, period. I want to see rampage kill rashad, so i would never have to sit through one of his matches ever again.
tlangley
11/18/07 5:55:01PM
Rashad isn't nearly as boring as Karo tho
State_Champ
11/19/07 11:18:26AM
I was not surpised by Edgar's awesome showing the other night. I was surprised when he beat Tyson Griffin but ever since that win I've really come to realize that Frank Edgar could be a contender at 155 lbs