UFC 85 Aftermath

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » UFC 85 Aftermath
hotrodttt
6/7/08 7:12:16PM
So a lot of questions came in my Head after this Event and I had some hopes before this Event happened like if Marcus Davis Won and We could have possibly seen A Rematch between them for a Title Shot.

I'll Tell You where the Winners go from here

Antoni Hardonk - He's a Great Striker who just Proved my Point, he belongs in the Upper echelon of the HW Division, I want to see him battle it out with the Winner of Brock Lesnar vs Heath Herring

Paul Taylor - I don;t really know where he goes from here, maybe he'll fught the Winner of John Burkman vs Dustin Hazzelet or Jonathan Goulet

Kevin Burns - To prove that he's the real deal, put him against Diego Sanchez

Matt Wiman - SPENCER FISHER !!! I want to see that rematch because Matt would Win, he was Winning their 1st Fight until being caught by the Flying Knee

Martin Kampman - I would like a rematch with Thales Leites

Fabricio Werdum - He should get a Title Shot

Mike Swick - A Fight with Josh Koscheck is overdue

Mike Bisping - Actually, A Fight with Thales Leites intrigues me

Thiago Alves - He should get the Winner of GSP and Jon Fitch
juanez13
6/7/08 7:31:03PM
Hardonk-> should face either Gonzaga, Vera or Kongo, GG most likely, but Kongo would be a better match up for him, i think Hardonk has the best stand up in the HW division, standing i'd pick him over just about anybody. wouldnt mind seeing the UFC trying to build him up first, maybe give him his original UFC 85 fight against Neil wain to make him look good. ...

also gotta thank Hardonk for saving my ass on the Wagers, If it wasnt for that $1000 (won 800) my wagers would have gone down alot.

Taylor-> maybe give taylor to Akihiro Gono for his comeback fight.

Burns-> Yoshida or the Dong could be possible, and good match ups.

Matt Wiman-> agree a remtach with Fisher would be good.

Kampman-> agree rematch with Leites

Werdum-> wait.

Swick-> dont think a fight with koscheck would happen since they train together. Maybe a fight with someone like Karo will follow.

Mike Bisping-> Nate Marquardt, just makes sense, see where bisping is at, or perhaps put marquardt in line again, he looked very impressive today so i think his next fight will still be a step up in competition.

Thiago alves-> wait

also Vera should drop down to Light Heavyweight after this fight.
hotrodttt
6/7/08 7:58:03PM

Posted by juanez13

Hardonk-> should face either Gonzaga, Vera or Kongo, GG most likely, but Kongo would be a better match up for him, i think Hardonk has the best stand up in the HW division, standing i'd pick him over just about anybody. wouldnt mind seeing the UFC trying to build him up first, maybe give him his original UFC 85 fight against Neil wain to make him look good. ...

also gotta thank Hardonk for saving my ass on the Wagers, If it wasnt for that $1000 (won 800) my wagers would have gone down alot.

Taylor-> maybe give taylor to Akihiro Gono for his comeback fight.

Burns-> Yoshida or the Dong could be possible, and good match ups.

Matt Wiman-> agree a remtach with Fisher would be good.

Kampman-> agree rematch with Leites

Werdum-> wait.

Swick-> dont think a fight with koscheck would happen since they train together. Maybe a fight with someone like Karo will follow.

Mike Bisping-> Nate Marquardt, just makes sense, see where bisping is at, or perhaps put marquardt in line again, he looked very impressive today so i think his next fight will still be a step up in competition.

Thiago alves-> wait

also Vera should drop down to Light Heavyweight after this fight.

Mike's not Training with AKA anymore right, I think he's with Greg Jackson
candynuts
6/7/08 8:07:12PM
Hardonk- Great striking, have him fight Kongo, or possibly Vera.

Taylor- Always enjoy his fights, would like to see him fight Luke Cummo. (Granted he wins against McCrory).

Cane- Great prospect with good striking. Have him fight Reljic.

Burns- Great debut, I would like to see him fight Paul Kelley.

Wiman- Impressive fight with Tavares, have him fight Pellegrino.

Kampmann- Really like this fighter, IMO could be top5 by the end of the year. Have him fight the winner of Cote/Almeida.

Werdum- Beating GG and Vera should pretty much open a chance for a title shot IMO. If by some chance he doesnt get one, have him fight the winner of Lesnar/Herring perhaps? Nah.. title shot.

Swick- I like the matchup with Karo.

Bisping- I think he is ready for a guy like Rich Franklin or Chris Leben.

Alves- To be honest I think he will get the title shot after GSP/Fitch. If he doesnt, then have him fight Koscheck or Diego (granted that they win their fights.)

The losers:
Sanchez- Took the fight on short notice and did a good job, he deserves to return. Have him fight either Wellisch or Wain.
Liaudin- Have him fight the War Machine
Lambert- 2 L's in a row. Have him fight a newcomer, Tim Boetsch, or Houston Alexander.
Carneiro- Have him fight Ryo Chonan.
Tavares- Joe Lauzon
Rivera- I think a fight with Alessio Sakara makes the most sense.
Vera- Have a fight with Kongo, or perhaps Hardonk, or drop to the LHW and fight Jardine.
Marquardt- Dominated Leites, but lost on points. A match with Demian Maia would really test Maia's skills. (Or the winner of the Maia/McDonald fight)
Davis- It sucks he lost, I did not want to see another AKA fighter make his way into top 10 contention. He would make a good fight with Akihiro Gono.
Day- Drew McFedries (Regardless of how the Eastman fight goes).
Matt Hughes- Matt Serra
Mchubb316
6/7/08 8:12:19PM

Posted by candynuts

Hardonk- Great striking, have him fight Kongo, or possibly Vera.

Taylor- Always enjoy his fights, would like to see him fight Luke Cummo.

Cane- Great prospect with good striking. Have him fight Reljic.

Burns- Great debut, I would like to see him fight Paul Kelley.

Wiman- Impressive fight with Tavares, have him fight Pellegrino.

Kampmann- Really like this fighter, IMO could be top5 by the end of the year. Have him fight the winner of Cote/Almeida.

Werdum- Beating GG and Vera should pretty much open a chance for a title shot IMO. If by some chance he doesnt get one, have him fight the winner of Lesnar/Herring perhaps? Nah.. title shot.

Swick- I like the matchup with Karo.

Bisping- I think he is ready for a guy like Rich Franklin or Chris Leben.

Alves- To be honest I think he will get the title shot after GSP/Fitch. If he doesnt, then have him fight Koscheck or Diego (granted that they win their fights.)

The losers:
Sanchez- Took the fight on short notice and did a good job, he deserves to return. Have him fight either Wellisch or Wain.
Liaudin- Have him fight the War Machine
Lambert- 2 L's in a row. Have him fight a newcomer, Tim Boetsch, or Houston Alexander.
Carneiro- Have him fight Ryo Chonan.
Tavares- Joe Lauzon
Rivera- I think a fight with Alessio Sakara makes the most sense.
Vera- Have a fight with Kongo, or perhaps Hardonk, or drop to the LHW and fight Jardine.
Marquardt- Dominated Leites, but lost on points. A match with Demian Maia would really test Maia's skills.
Davis- It sucks he lost, I did not want to see another AKA fighter make his way into top 10 contention. He would make a good fight with Akihiro Gono.
Day- Drew McFedries (Regardless of how the Eastman fight goes).
Matt Hughes- Matt Serra

I like it.
bigbubbano23
6/7/08 9:05:25PM
all i have to say is WTF hughes!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ufc88
6/7/08 11:02:16PM
Vera - Drop to LHW and fight Sokoudjou
Werdum - cant wait that long for a title shot TUF 8 needs to be filmed and all of that bullshit, give him a fight to stay healthy maybe hardonk or mark coleman
Swick - Karo
Davis - Ryo Chonan
Hughes - Serra
Alves - title shot
Luiz Cane - James Irvin rematch/wilson gouveia
Jason Lambert - Tim Botsch
Kevin Burns - Paul Taylor/George Sotiropolous
Michael Bisping - winner of Cote vs Almeida
Jason Day - Ed Herman
Nate Marquardt - Rich Franklin
Thales Leites - Nate Quarry
Martin Kampmann - winner of Maia/MacDonald
Matt Wiman - Mark Bocek

DevonFoxy
6/7/08 11:10:10PM
My thoughts are

- First of all all I can say is wow at the number of hits to the back of the head to Day by Bisping and was shocked the ref said nothing to him as what I saw was at least 6 full shots hit Day in the back of the head. I dont think it would have changed much but at least should have put them back on their feet imo.

- Alves didn't make weight for this fight so honestly rewarding this guy is not in his best interest as a fighter. No way imo does he deserve a title shot.after missing weight by 3 pounds. If anything he should be in some hot water with Dana and apologizing not asking for a title shot.

- Hughes new camp is not looking like it is doing the job. Maybe its just me but this camp looks like it needs some help and I'm surprised the fighters have looked as unprepared as they do.
juanez13
6/7/08 11:16:17PM

Posted by DevonFoxy

- Alves didn't make weight for this fight so honestly rewarding this guy is not in his best interest as a fighter. No way imo does he deserve a title shot.after missing weight by 3 pounds. If anything he should be in some hot water with Dana and apologizing not asking for a title shot.

- Hughes new camp is not looking like it is doing the job. Maybe its just me but this camp looks like it needs some help and I'm surprised the fighters have looked as unprepared as they do.

To Alves defence he Sprained his ankle a few days before, making it harder for him to cut weight, still shouldnt have happened, but i think he is at the top of the division with a lead over pretty much all other contenders except Fitch who is already getting his shot.

Also i think the Reason Hughes lost is because everyone has steped up their game except him, he cant out wrestle all the guys in the division anymore, seems alot like when Royce dominated the early UFC's with a single style, but they lost becuase they failed to evolve with the sport.

Also, i think Eddie Sanchez, Jess Liaudin, and possibly Jorge Rivera may have fought their last fight in the UFC. ( wouldnt be surprised if they kept sanchez for at least 1 more fight)
Fox
6/7/08 11:33:36PM
I thought the Alves fight was great for Alves except for the weight thing.
candynuts
6/8/08 1:05:51AM
I listed the winners and losers and who they should face in my previous post so this will be my overall Aftermath of this event.

1) The UFC delivers. Even after Fight after fight after fight that got cancelled, the UFC was able to scrap this up and still make a respectable card. Anyone and everyone at the UFC stepped it up and showed why it is the top organization.

2) Bisping is a contender in the 185 lb division. He has walked through his first 2 opponents since dropping to 185. He displayed great knees from the clinch in his first fight, and brutal GnP in the second fight (even working the takedowns). He is showing some good all-around skills for this division and could be top 5 in the division by the end of the year.

3) The 185 lb division is not weak anymore. Sure, Silva is the top tog, after recent talks about Silva moving up to LHW, it really opens this division up. Franklin, Henderson, Bisping, Cote, Leites, Marquardt, Maia, Kampmann etc.. have really made this an exciting weight class to watch and the potential to produce future dream matchups is within the realm of possibility.

4) There is so much parity in the LW division. Usually the people with the underdog bonus are supposed to lose, but it appears that every card with a LW fight that has an underdog bonus, they win. Griffin/Edgar, Edgar/Maynard, Wiman/Tavares, etc.. Just when you think a fighter is going to standout and be a contender, he usually has a hiccup along the path. The LW's are exciting and more unpredictable than any other division. Picking LW fights in the future will be equivalent to a Calculus final.

5) The card was CURSED. I have never seen a card with so many fighters pulling out, changes in fights, main events, etc.. Thiago not making weight, Marquardt losing on points even though he dominated Leites, Miragliotta's questionable stoppage. Dana White and everyone in the UFC must be extremely happy that this card is over with. It must have been so hard to try to fix this card up and im willing to bet Dana White just might give everyone a pass on their actions because of the insanity that insued before, and during the fight card.

candynuts
6/8/08 1:11:12AM

Posted by juanez13
Also, i think Eddie Sanchez, Jess Liaudin, and possibly Jorge Rivera may have fought their last fight in the UFC. ( wouldnt be surprised if they kept sanchez for at least 1 more fight)

Yea, hopefully they keep Sanchez in the UFC longer. He stepped up in the fight on extremely short notice and put up a good fight against a great striker. Dana should be very happy about the fact that he stepped in on short notice and White should be somewhat lenient on giving Sanchez the boot. He is 3-2 in the UFC I believe and was coming off a 2 fight win streak.
I hope that Rivera fights Sakara next and the loser gets cut from the UFC. And I agree that Liaudin is most likely out.
SpiderSilva
6/8/08 1:23:08AM
5) The card was CURSED

Hell yeah even some of the fights Nate the Great should have won and if swick didnt end the round strong that would have been a draw also the Vera fight was stoped a little early over all I say it was
tylerlee123
6/8/08 2:16:39PM
Werdum should definately be next in line for a title shot, Like too see Swick fight another top 170 lber, Have the Bisping - Leben fight for sure, and have Kampmann fight Quarry or Okami