UFC 82 Aftermath

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » UFC 82 Aftermath
kevietre
3/2/08 10:04:30AM
A lot happened at UFC 82 the most significant being Anderson Silva submitting Dan Henderson.

< Henderson obviously won the first round but a lot of people don't realize how good Silva is on the ground. With Okami picking up a win tonight I see this happening...

< Silva vs. Okami since Okami was the last guy to beat him and has the best chanc right now since Henderson just lost. >

Tanner's comeback was anything but stellar. He looked too calm, not aggressive at all, and a little gun-shy. Whenever he got caught with a punch he just made a face instead of changing levels. It could be from the layoff or maybe his better days are behind him in the fight game.

What would be the point of seeing NOG VS. HERRING 4 WHEN NOG WON THE FIRST 3 FIGHTS!!!!!!!!! I just think Kongo should have traded with Herring more he would have won the exchanges.

Arlovski is now on a 3 fight win streak but who knows if he will sign with the UFC if he does I think a good matchup for him would be Kongo, Herirng, or Gonzaga.

Leben had another exciting fight but was the Leben of old and not the calculated Leben we saw against Martin. Even though he said coming into the fight his strategy would be to brawl, he put himself at risk by leaving openings and Sakara connected a couple of times. I don't think the fight was stopped early either Sakara was taking unanswered punches but he may have been able to recover who knows?

Sanchez was impressive and Hazelett showed a lot of skill almost submitting Kos with a triangle and standing with Kos as well.

IMO the Fitch fight was unexciting. NOT BORING... but unexciting. Fitch usually goes two rounds and then gets the finish once he wares down his opponent but maybe Wilson is a tough guy.

Overall the main event was good but it wasn't a spectacular night of fights for me. What do you guys think?
imanidiot777
3/2/08 10:12:43AM
I agree Okami should fight Silva next although there really is no one I can see that will be a great match up for him now. I want to see a Diego vs Kos fight again.
wolfman
3/2/08 10:23:42AM
Good points, yet I'd still like to see Herring vs. Nog 4. Yeah, sounds stupid, but who else can you put up against Nog right now? I can't think of any heavyweight right now who can beat Nog in the UFC.

Also, Okami beat Silva due to an illegal strike. I am sure you knew this, I just don't like how you worded it. When Okami fights Silva, I think he is going to get owned by strikes in the first or second round.
MALICE
3/2/08 10:42:18AM

Posted by wolfman

Also, Okami beat Silva due to an illegal strike. I am sure you knew this, I just don't like how you worded it. When Okami fights Silva, I think he is going to get owned by strikes in the first or second round.

You are mistaken. Silva was DQ'ed for an illegal kick (upkick) to Okami's head while Okami was postured up (both knees down) in Silva's open guard.

EDIT: Sorry. I misread your post. I guess I didn't like the way you worded it.
wolfman
3/2/08 10:46:07AM

Posted by xxMALICExx

Posted by wolfman

Good points, yet I'd still like to see Herring vs. Nog 4. Yeah, sounds stupid, but who else can you put up against Nog right now? I can't think of any heavyweight right now who can beat Nog in the UFC.

Youare mistaken. Silva was DQ'ed for an illegal kick (upkick) to Okami while Okami was postured up (both knees down) in open guard.

I consider an illegal strike as saying an illegal kick (upkick), you just went more into detail. Yes, Anderson was DQ'ed, but it still is considered a loss for him.

EDIT: Yeah, that's what happens when I write a lazy description. I can see how that was interpreted incorrectly.
Franklinfan47
3/2/08 11:24:32AM
Some pretty sweet fights, but Silva stepped up once again and shined the most. Creates some serious questions though for whats next in the mw and hw divisions. War Coleman!!
spikerman19
3/2/08 12:38:42PM
I think that Slviya should fight kongo and arvloski should fight herring
Manfred
3/2/08 1:07:31PM
I thought Dana said that Werdum is getting the next shot? Makes sense, unless AA gets a new contract, then it should go to AA.

It don't really wanjt to see AA / Werdum 2 for the #1 contender, plus it would take too long.

nickcuc547
3/2/08 1:20:33PM

Posted by Manfred

I thought Dana said that Werdum is getting the next shot? Makes sense, unless AA gets a new contract, then it should go to AA.

It don't really wanjt to see AA / Werdum 2 for the #1 contender, plus it would take too long.

werdum is fighting vera next, should be a good one. aa is the only logical guy to get the next title shot, we need to cross our fingers and hope he signs.
DevonFoxy
3/2/08 1:43:51PM

Posted by kevietre

Hazelett showed a lot of skill almost submitting Kos with a triangle and standing with Kos as well.

Ok I agree and disagree with you on this comment.

Yea Hazelett has amazing skill for a very young guy and had some pretty good stand up but you fail to mention a plus about Koscheck in which Kos showed leaps and bounds of improvement.

Koscheck used great stand up the whole night and didn't go for that bombing overhand right only he threw kicks! And TKO'ed Hazelett from a Kick!!!
Thats an exciting thing for a Koscheck. I mean no ones going to say his stand up is comparable to a Marcus Davis but he hit very flush shots and recovered quite quick from being rocked with that head kick and knee. He also started to mesh his striking and wrestling together. He set up his takedown perfectly and ran through Dustin with a vintage Koscheck take down.

Now in reference to him almost finishing Koscheck i must strongly emphatically disagree with you in the submission department. He almost scored the knock out but the triangle was not in tight and really had a very small chance of tapping Kos unless he attained Kos's arm and placed it across Kos's neck. So there i disagree it was a very loose triangle and many got worked up of what turned out to be nothing. Personally for me the guillotine was more dangerous but Kos defended it beautifully as his submission defense is very good.

Just my analaysis on the fight and Koscheck is now becoming the true all around threat that can threaten GSP....imo

Flame away.
mk1630
3/2/08 2:06:59PM

Posted by imanidiot777

I agree Okami should fight Silva next although there really is no one I can see that will be a great match up for him now. I want to see a Diego vs Kos fight again.

Okami will win by DQ at 3:26 of the second round!! With all joking aside, I think Silva would get a quick KO in the first. Okami is a strong guy at 185, but i dont see any reason why the Spider shouldnt finish this like all others.

I also want to see Diego/ Kos 2 but not for a while. I think they need to fight someone else so we can see where they really are now in the division. With Diego just ending his 2 fight losing streak against a guy in his first UFC fight, i think he needs to get back on track with a win over another top 10 guy.

Kos impressed me overall with his vastly improved stand up in this fight. I am no Kos fan but he held his own against a tough guy in Hazlette. I was surprised how well he did after getting rocked by the head kick/ knee. I am not sure who i want to see him fight next ,tho. I'll have a better idea after the Fight Night coming up.
jiujitsufreak74
3/2/08 2:14:03PM

Posted by DevonFoxy

Koscheck used great stand up the whole night and didn't go for that bombing overhand right only he threw kicks! And TKO'ed Hazelett from a Kick!!!

i am going to agree with your whole post except for this fact. now while koscheck did show he can eat some hard combinations, he did in fact go for that overhand right. i remember at least 3 times where koscheck threw a huge haymaker that missed. he did this every time he got rocked by hazelett. he used a lot of boxing in this fight and threw a lot more punches then kicks. when he was hurt he threw a lot of punches that had absolutely no form and just launched that haymaker in the general direction of hazelett. the reason i can recall is because my friend got in a fight and threw this mega-haymaker that would have KOed mark hunt in one punch but had absolutely no form. so every time me and my friends see a wild haymaker thrown we call it a "Musio" (friends name) and i remember saying it at least 3 times for koscheck in that fight. now don't get me wrong he did show a lot of improvement and impressed me as i said i agree with you on the rest of your points, but koscheck did in fact throw that wild punch a few times and did use his hands quite a bit. now with that said again i agree with you but i just thought i should point that out.
jiujitsufreak74
3/2/08 2:23:55PM
here is my take on the aftermath:

Anderson vs Okami for next Title fight (gives Anderson a chance to redeem a loss and also in their last fight Okami appeared to be winning before the DQ. im not saying that Okami will beat Anderson just saying that is something to remember.)

Henderson vs Franklin/Lutter (most likely this will be Franklin. a match between him and Hendo gets me pumped and is another high level MW fight that were in short supply last year. makes for an exciting match up stylistically and i hope that this happens.)

Marquardt vs Almeida (i know it is soon for Almeida to be thrown into the top of the division but i feel he is up for it. besides, this will be a rematch from Pancrase that saw Almeida with his hand raised the last time they fought. this would make for a great matchup stylistically and will be a chance for Almeida to skyrocket into the top of the division and also a chance for Marquardt to avenge himself. makes a lot of sense imo.)

another addition to the UFC wouldn't be bad either. even though a lot of people have jumped off of his bandwagon of late, i would still like to see Paulo Filho in the UFC. i think that after his rematch with Sonnen which i think he will win he should not move up to 205 and should rather stay at 185 and just move up to the UFC. this is unlikely because of him moving up weight like i mentioned but i would still like it to happen. also wouldn't mind seeing Lawler or Cung Le in the octagon either. especially Cung Le, i think he would shake up the division but i would like to see how he fairs against Shamrock first. anyway, the MW division is starting to get exciting and i feel that Hendo has a really strong possibility of defeating Anderson in a rematch and that we shouldn't sleep on Okami just yet. anything can happen in a fight and with the right match-ups in place Anderson might want to stick around for a while as things get interesting.
DevonFoxy
3/2/08 2:25:02PM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

Posted by DevonFoxy

i am going to agree with your whole post except for this fact. now while koscheck did show he can eat some hard combinations, he did in fact go for that overhand right. i remember at least 3 times where koscheck threw a huge haymaker that missed. he did this every time he got rocked by hazelett. he used a lot of boxing in this fight and threw a lot more punches then kicks. when he was hurt he threw a lot of punches that had absolutely no form and just launched that haymaker in the general direction of hazelett. the reason i can recall is because my friend got in a fight and threw this mega-haymaker that would have KOed mark hunt in one punch but had absolutely no form. so every time me and my friends see a wild haymaker thrown we call it a "Musio" (friends name) and i remember saying it at least 3 times for koscheck in that fight. now don't get me wrong he did show a lot of improvement and impressed me as i said i agree with you on the rest of your points, but koscheck did in fact throw that wild punch a few times and did use his hands quite a bit. now with that said again i agree with you but i just thought i should point that out.

I agree i understand where your coming from i should have made it more clear i really meant that he didn't only use the famous hay maker he keeps showing he loves to use so i apologize and agree with you i should have been more clear i understand how it could get rambled up in the things i said.lol

gartface
3/2/08 2:36:26PM
Possible scenarios
Silva vs. Okami
Henderson vs. Winner of Franklin/Lutter (Maybe Marquardt)
Evan Tanner vs. Winner of McDonald/Doerksen
Herring vs. Winner of Vera/Werdum for next title shot
Kongo vs. Mir
Fitch vs. Winner of Unification Match (hurts me to say )
Wilson vs. Hazelett (would be sick!)
Leben vs. Cote (Slugfest!)
Sakara vs. Kendall Grove
Koscheck vs. Diego II (hopefully won't be so damn boring)
Arlovski vs. Big Nog (probably not going to happen, but it should.)

SmileR
3/2/08 10:53:36PM
I was impressed by Leben. He knew how to exploit Sakara and relied on his heavy hands and solid chin to pull it off.
It was a risky strategy but paid off.

Also i was impressed by Arlovski, I know he's my favorite fighter but this was his 3rd fight in a row against opponents who want to take him down.
He was bound to be tentative and his sprawl was great.
I also liked how he was cautious about Jakes injures and admitted he didn't want to hurt him anymore than was necessary.

Hopefully we'll get to see Arlovski Vs Kongo
and Leben Vs Hendo for their next two fights!

Kracker_Jap
3/2/08 11:04:53PM
My wish is that Couture.... Gets his head back on his shoulders and comes back to the UFC and fights NOG....
NatedawgThaM
3/2/08 11:12:13PM
Diego proved all that crap about moving down was horse crap. He dominated. I still think he needs to fight Roan(The guy was suppose to fight but dropped out) in the co-main event of a Fight Night. Then if he wins have Diego/Kos 3 Main Event a fight night with the winner getting that close to a title shot and a possible rematch for Diego with Karo or Kos vs Karo.

Okami vs Anderson is the only clear match up if there is one since the UFC won't sign Lindland who has the best chance IMO unless OKami keeps shooting no stand up like Lindland would.

If they do resign AA he is the only clear contender right now at HW having already defeated Werdum who Dana said was next in line I believe. But if Nog wants time off then they should have AA fight the winner of Vera-Werdum to have the real clear contender while Timmy fights Herring.

Fitch impressed me actually. UNlike GSP he proved he takes all his fights seriously. He took it a little lightly but he definitely knew the guy had a good chance to win and either way I knew it would be difficult because Wilson came from a dominant wrestling camp which is Fitch's specialty. He wants to fight the best avaliable at that time to fight which is a good sign that he isn't taking nobody lightly. He easily has the best chance to beat GSP. GSP would just throw Karo around with those long limbs again.

I thought it was a average night but the Kos or Diego fight should have been on the main card. I knew from the start Tanner-Okami would be lackluster. Tanner fought smart which is why I knew it would be boring because he didn't want to get close and get taken down.