Afflictions gate numbers and PPV buys might be inflated

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Afflictions gate numbers and PPV buys might be inflated
rycanto
7/24/08 6:29:33PM
"The big question we’ve been waiting to hear an answer to this week is, what of Affliction’s pay-per-view numbers? VP Tom Atencio claimed they did “well over” 100,000 buys. He also said, in the post-fight press conference, that he’d be releasing the numbers on Thursday or Friday of this week. And yet, so far nothing official."

Looks like Affliction's numbers on PPV buys might be closer to 50-85,000. Lots of interesting info in this article:

Link
xposipx
7/24/08 7:17:51PM
Inflated is probably the wrong word. He was just straight up lying. It was a good first event and most fans appreciated it, but the payroll was ridiculous and it was apparent from the get-go that they would be losing money on the first couple events. 50-80k buys and a live gate of an estimated 1.3 mil or so (after their bought tickets are subtracted) does not bode well for this company. Think of all of the other costs involved and we can estimate that they probably lost over 1 mil on this show alone.
cmill21
7/24/08 7:19:40PM
Cage potato isn't the most reliable source though.
grappler0000
7/24/08 7:47:07PM

Posted by cmill21

But Dave Meltzer is.
ncordless
7/24/08 8:26:52PM

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by cmill21

But Dave Meltzer is.

Really? I definitely don't think of him when I think of unbiased MMA reporting. Meltzer usually doesn't release

We will probably never know the exact number of ppv buys, and if we don't get a number from Affliction it is probably under 100,000 buys.
SpiderSilva
7/24/08 8:28:32PM
I had a feeling something like this was going on just because he said the they made like 2.1 mill at the gate but failed to mention that Affliction forked out 500,000 for tix of their own
Mchubb316
7/24/08 8:39:17PM
I think most events that go on inflate numbers a bit. I think if the numbers were not as good as they wanted them to be, they may try and hide it for the sake of the company. Fighters may hesitate signing with a company that may not be around for very long, especially if they don't get guaranteed money. If all else fails Affliction could sell to the UFC, and end up like Pride.
grappler0000
7/24/08 8:53:38PM

Posted by ncordless

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by cmill21

But Dave Meltzer is.

Really? I definitely don't think of him when I think of unbiased MMA reporting. Meltzer usually doesn't release

We will probably never know the exact number of ppv buys, and if we don't get a number from Affliction it is probably under 100,000 buys.

If you're willing to share why he is an unreliable source, I'm willing to listen.
prozacnation1978
7/24/08 10:14:08PM
to be honest with the ufc numbers being a big success i just don't see over 100,000 pay per view buys
if there was no fight night i could easily believe that but with ufc 86 this month i don't see at least 50000 buying both events add on the local bars and stuff and it just doesn't add up. i can't see how afflication made any money of this with the seats and pay per view buys then paying out over 3 million add on getting the venue, security, employees who work there doesn't seem a success to me
slappywhite
7/24/08 10:29:29PM

Posted by prozacnation1978

i can't see how afflication made any money of this with the seats and pay per view buys then paying out over 3 million add on getting the venue, security, employees who work there doesn't seem a success to me

u cant see it cause it aint there :D

financially it was not a success but it was a good show for the fans, so they can try to work off that momentum. How many more shows, I dunno. The next one might be a good gauge how long they can keep this up with the pay cheques they're cuttin for the fighters.
Svartorm
7/24/08 11:30:28PM
Two things:

1. 90% of businesses are in the red for the first two years. Anyone with any idea of how business works knew damn well they weren't going to make a profit off their first show. The first show was entertaining, created a few new stars for the casual fans and set up future matches.

2. They're being backed by Donald Trump. I don't think the guy is going to sweat losing a million bucks on an event that has huge potential to grow. If anyone understands the concept of "spending money to make money", its that guy.
cmill21
7/24/08 11:37:22PM

Posted by Svartorm

Two things:

1. 90% of businesses are in the red for the first two years. Anyone with any idea of how business works knew damn well they weren't going to make a profit off their first show. The first show was entertaining, created a few new stars for the casual fans and set up future matches.

2. They're being backed by Donald Trump. I don't think the guy is going to sweat losing a million bucks on an event that has huge potential to grow. If anyone understands the concept of "spending money to make money", its that guy.

Didn't Cuban lose an assload to get the Mavricks to where they are? Wasn't the UFC like 44 mil in the hole right off the bat? Things aren't always a success of the hop.