Affliction to team up with Golden Boy

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Affliction to team up with Golden Boy
Wolfenstein
9/11/08 1:48:42AM
Atencio promised a major announcement on Affliction’s future this Saturday at the MGM Grand Hotel, where the Marquez/Casamayor fight is scheduled to take place. The timing and location of the announcement has added fuel to speculation that Affliction has a new partner in mixed martial arts, none other than Golden Boy Promotions, which quite possibly could include HBO. Golden Boy is the promoter of record for Saturday’s boxing match – which airs on HBO pay-per-view – and President Oscar De La Hoya has expressed interest in mixed martial arts as of late.

link
CantAndleDaRiddum
9/11/08 2:34:33AM
de la hoya, mark cuban, donald trump.......if they were TRULY invested in makin a dent in the sport, they would never have financial problems & could sign more fighters
haggiswashere
9/11/08 4:30:28AM

Posted by CantAndleDaRiddum

de la hoya, mark cuban, donald trump.......if they were TRULY invested in makin a dent in the sport, they would never have financial problems & could sign more fighters

trump is having financial problems from paying there fighters a desent amount. and if they were successful in that they would have made a dent my friend. and if they were more successful they would sign more fighters.
loller90278
9/11/08 3:51:56PM
i thought they were already partners? Isn't Adrenaline MMA - Affliction - Golden Boy all linked together?
fullerene
9/12/08 7:26:18PM
The rumoured hook up is more than just a cross-promotional effort. They are supposedly going to put on a mixed card of boxing and MMA matches. Terrible idea IMO--I've seen combo shows before and they usually leave part of the audience bored.
MFOTHER
9/13/08 11:14:13PM
did you guys read that all affliction events, including/ starting with the 1st ppv willbe split with boxing......than means i wont watch any of them caus ei dont like boxing. No way i am paying for a ppv that i get half the mma i could be getting it was bad enough the amunt of fight time they lost because of megadeth. i think this is the end of afliction.
breakdown5
9/13/08 11:50:53PM
This is completely stupid. There is no way I am going to get a half boxing/half MMA card. Affliction is on their way out. There is no amount of money that can save a promotion from this type of poor decisions. They will completely alienate the majority of the audience while they satisfy a select few.... good call.
telnights
9/13/08 11:55:49PM
Well I think this was forced on Affliction by some of their backers. I don't think its a good idea if you ask me. Boxing and MMA are totally different sports and large part of their hardcore fan base hate each other. Boxing fan - I'm not ordering that when the have bunch of MMA fights on the card. I hate MMA.... MMA Fan - I'm not ordering that when the have bunch of boxing matches. I hate boxing.... Now MMA fans seam to be more excepting of boxing but that's still and up hill fight.

Now I don't like this because I don't want more boxing promoters that have done nothing but bad mouth MMA start acting like they are doing MMA a favor. I also don't want the bad parts of boxing coming over to MMA.
MFOTHER
9/14/08 12:01:47AM
dana must be so excited.

dana white says: "you're doing what with affliction !?!?!"
dinex
9/14/08 2:01:40AM
I think this is going to help Affliction more than Golden Boy. I'm skeptical to how this will work, but considering they're having problems with the way they've been doing things so far it's worth a try. It's going to be interesting to see how it will be received. I know of several shows that have mixed the two combat sports but never on this high level.
fullerene
9/14/08 5:03:46PM

Posted by dinex

I think this is going to help Affliction more than Golden Boy. I'm skeptical to how this will work, but considering they're having problems with the way they've been doing things so far it's worth a try. It's going to be interesting to see how it will be received. I know of several shows that have mixed the two combat sports but never on this high level.

I've seen it, too, and it was not well received.

I'm sure the logic is this:
- The top of the card, in boxing or MMA, sells PPVs
- An Affliction PPV or a lower-level boxing PPV are going to sell ~ 100K - 150K PPVs
- Putting the two together and eliminating both undercards you could sell 200K - 300K PPVs
- Exposing both audiences to the other sport will build up the fan base for both

Sounds logical, but I just don't see it working. I think we can start writing the obituary for Affliction when they start doing things like this.
Jackelope
9/14/08 10:59:41PM

Posted by fullerene

Posted by dinex

I've seen it, too, and it was not well received.

I'm sure the logic is this:
- The top of the card, in boxing or MMA, sells PPVs
- An Affliction PPV or a lower-level boxing PPV are going to sell ~ 100K - 150K PPVs
- Putting the two together and eliminating both undercards you could sell 200K - 300K PPVs
- Exposing both audiences to the other sport will build up the fan base for both

Sounds logical, but I just don't see it working. I think we can start writing the obituary for Affliction when they start doing things like this.

One thing I'd personally throw into the hat is Golden Boy's ability to hype fights and put on a good production. Not to mention the financial backing and the friends/power they gain in Vegas.

IMO Affliction's production was lacking in their last show. With Bas Rutten's commentating and the golden boy backing thrown into the mix for their next show I'd expect much better production. Still, unless things change drastically on a financial level for them I'd be surprised to see them stick around much longer.
fonduktoe
9/14/08 11:10:32PM
just speaking for myself
a. i ordered the first affliction show on ppv and enjoyed it with a few caveats (why the ring?)
b. if they do a boxing/mma ppv i WILL NOT order it- they will alienate a large part of their fan base here as the hardcore fans of mma are probably who ordered their first ppv.
boxing has been around for a long time and i never got into it but i am head over heels for mma
by mixing the two they are creating the old science fair volcano- it's gonna blow
they still have time to amend this decision as it's been pretty unanimous from what i've heard that the boxing/mma hybrid show would not work
if they go through with this business model than i will be one of the first fo declare RIP affliction