UFC: Affliction Done, Now UFC Sponsor

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » UFC: Affliction Done, Now UFC Sponsor
Next Page »
DCRage
7/24/09 6:18:46PM
See, people? We CAN all just get along! The latest example of this is a planned joint announcement later today that Affliction will cease promoting fights but, in exchange, will become an official sponsor of UFC. Such a deal actually was proposed after Affliction 2 in October but fell apart after Todd Beard & Lorenzo Fertitta couldn't make nice. There is a chance that Affliction could be back to being on Zuffa fighters in time for UFC 101 on August 8.

Article
Styles
7/24/09 6:22:14PM
leave it to DC Rage to post this before anyone else can.. LOL. I just read this article too.
breakdown5
7/24/09 6:23:00PM
And this particular circle closes.

mrsmiley
7/24/09 6:26:01PM
LOL

Wow.That was fast!
imanidiot777
7/24/09 6:38:18PM
Is this all Barnett's or CSAC fault? Did this all really happen in the last few days since the test or was this being planned before?
prozacnation1978
7/24/09 6:41:14PM
i will be curious to see who goes where now some to japan others to strikeforce and i think belfort is shoe in for ufc, grab some heavyweights
TimW001
7/24/09 6:48:41PM
I liked Affliction as a fight promotion. But i guess money didn't like Affliction as a fight promotion. Ohwell, all the clothes look like crap anyway, I really couldn't tell you the difference between an Affliction or a One More Round shirt. The Tapout brah's are going to be angry with this.
1daveufc
7/24/09 6:55:07PM
Ufc shud sign there HW and make th HW division awsome again ARLOVSKI.FEDOR.ROTHWELL may be even TIM SYLVIA then there wud be lots of great fights that cud happen.Plus SOBRAL and TITO and BELFOR .
Irish_Pride
7/24/09 7:06:50PM
Well, that happened pretty quick. I wonder where all the Affliction fighters are going to go now. I'm sure the one's the UFC wants they will get and probably all the others will go over to Japan to fight.
PABLOMAFIOSO
7/24/09 7:37:42PM

Posted by 1daveufc

Ufc shud sign there HW and make th HW division awsome again ARLOVSKI.FEDOR.ROTHWELL may be even TIM SYLVIA then there wud be lots of great fights that cud happen.Plus SOBRAL and TITO and BELFOR .

I would love to see Sobral back in the UFC but I don't think Dana would have him back. Definitely wanna see Vitor back where he belongs.
sclasclemski
7/24/09 7:48:22PM
All is as I have foreseen...
mrsmiley
7/24/09 8:04:59PM
So does M-1 still have a stake in Affliction?

What will happen to the rights for the Affliction fights?
Will they sell them to the UFC?
bigbubbano23
7/24/09 8:05:48PM
can't wait to see what happens to the fighters, lets put the fedor myth to bed.
cmill21
7/24/09 8:11:18PM

Posted by bigbubbano23

can't wait to see what happens to the fighters, lets put the fedor myth to bed.

Whats the Fedor myth?
DCRage
7/24/09 8:12:57PM

Posted by imanidiot777

Is this all Barnett's or CSAC fault? Did this all really happen in the last few days since the test or was this being planned before?

Actually, what Weekly mentioned today was that Showtime was a major factor in the collapse of Trilogy today. Supposedly they wanted a "big name" to replace Barnett in the Fedor fight and apparently it wasn't a Belfort or Rogers.
bigbubbano23
7/24/09 8:24:47PM
that's for you to decide, there are so many
telnights
7/24/09 8:49:32PM
I really think this is the best choice for Affliction. Its clear that Affliction is hurting and no other MMA promotion can come close to opening them up to a larger market place. No reason to keep dumping money in to something that clearly is a loss cause.
Mayhem13
7/24/09 8:57:28PM
UFC needs to get;

Fedor
Yvel
Arlovski
Rothwell
Mousasi
Babalu
Horodecki
Heiron
Belfort
Lauzon
Lindland
and
Santiago
Wolfenstein
7/24/09 9:07:45PM
It's funny that the Sherdog poll (who should be the replacement for Fedor) seemed to play a pretty big role in the cancellation, as it was referenced by Atencio a couple times. Kind of sad because Affliction put on a couple great shows, but they tried to do to much too fast--when they probably would have been better off using Strikeforce as a template.

Some guys will probably come to the UFC---some won't--and I highly doubt the UFC will snag Fedor unless the UFC gives Fedor a drastically different contract than it gives to other fighters. More likely Fedor headlines an M1 show.
MisterFreeze
7/24/09 9:38:15PM

Posted by PABLOMAFIOSO

Posted by 1daveufc

I would love to see Sobral back in the UFC but I don't think Dana would have him back. Definitely wanna see Vitor back where he belongs.

Sobral should never be allowed to compete again. Let it serve as a stiff warning to any other competitor that considers holding a submission even after the fight is done. That is an MMA unforgiveable sin.
mentalcase
7/24/09 10:23:57PM
this is fuken crap i was so looking forward to the event
Kpro
7/24/09 10:31:37PM
For everyone that now has nothing to do Saturday night, I highly recommend Timothy Bradley vs. Nate Campbell. Free to Showtime subscribers, and a boxing match worth watching.
Wolfenstein
7/24/09 10:40:47PM

Posted by Kpro

For everyone that now has nothing to do Saturday night, I highly recommend Timothy Bradley vs. Nate Campbell. Free to Showtime subscribers, and a boxing match worth watching.

Boxing match...worth watching...isn't that a...whatchamacallit...oxymoron?
mentalcase
7/24/09 10:43:18PM
its gone way to far now i couldn't sleep when i heard fedor barnett was off, now that the whole card is off i may just kill myself
mk1630
7/24/09 11:40:16PM
Didnt the UFC try to get them to bail out after the 2nd event and have them come back as sponsers before? For some reason i remember them trying this. Or it was Affliction trying to do this.
RearNakedJoke
7/25/09 12:25:40AM
even if there logo is on the octagon i'm still not paying 80 bucks for one of their ugly over priced t-shirts.
xtra_chewy
7/25/09 3:07:29AM
WOW.

I didnt think that they would actually fold....I also cant believe Atencio became a sponsor that quickly.....damn....

Hopefully this calls for some "super" fights.
moob
7/25/09 5:56:30AM
And another one bites the dust. Shame, further monopolization for the UFC - lack of competition is not good for the sport.
DCRage
7/25/09 8:00:32AM

Posted by mk1630

Didnt the UFC try to get them to bail out after the 2nd event and have them come back as sponsers before? For some reason i remember them trying this. Or it was Affliction trying to do this.

There were such "backstage" negotiations according to Weekly, but they fell through after a rather heated exchange between Lorenzo Fertitta and one of the Affliction execs.
prozacnation1978
7/25/09 9:04:05AM
they can afford 100 k a event,
the ufc will probably only sign like 2 or 3 guys
Pages: [1] 2