Affliction signs Tito Ortiz - as a broadcaster, not a fighter

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Affliction signs Tito Ortiz - as a broadcaster, not a fighter
ThaAxeMurderer7
12/17/08 5:04:19PM
In a Monday release, Affliction Entertainment announced that Ortiz would be part of the star-studded press conference for its Jan. 24 pay-per-view event. The announcement even prompted some reports that, during today's event, Ortiz would announce he had signed a fight contract with the company.

Instead, Ortiz was introduced as a color commentator for the "Day of Reckoning" broadcast.
Link
Jackelope
12/17/08 5:24:39PM
cowcatcher
12/17/08 5:31:09PM
tito never fails to disappoint

side note: he may end up being a pretty damn good color commentator, hes fairly well spoken and knows mma.
HumanTarget
12/17/08 5:55:33PM
Tito is better than Frank Trigg, thats for sure.
RampageOwnedYou
12/17/08 6:14:49PM
WOW
wapttn
12/17/08 6:39:39PM
consider that his mouth has been the only part of his body getting any attention over the last few years, it makes sense that it would get employment before he did.

Part of me is still holding out for tito as a fighter... I think he's still top 10 and the reason why he's fallen off so many people's radars is because of the matchups the ufc put him in towards the end of his career with them. He wasnt gonna beat machida because nobody beats machida... they lose a boring/strategic decision to him. And putting him against a strong wrestler in rashad had decsion written all over it, not how you build a fighter back up after a loss. I think with the proper matchups and a good back, tito could easily make his way back into the top 10.

And i think tito knows this... he knows that he was one half of the biggest mma ppv buy ever and he's the mainstream factor that affliction is looking for. If you're gonna sign tito, he's gonna make you pay for the hype that he comes with. Problem with that is that his record doesnt match his hype anymore... so its hard to calculate what his hype is really worth. I think the reason why he hasnt signed yet though is because he doesnt need to. He's not 100% rehabbed yet, probably hasnt started fight training yet and has no real opponents on the horizon. Theres no way tito wont fight for someone by the end of 09, but he has until afflictions next card (#3) to weasel every dollar he can into his contract... so why rush things?
bls1919
12/17/08 6:39:59PM
Good for Tito
BIGKAT
12/17/08 6:47:18PM
PERFECT!!!

TITO has been talking smack for years so this is right up his alley!!!
ThaAxeMurderer7
12/17/08 6:59:58PM
Anybody else interested to hear what Tito has to say about Babalu? I know Babalu has made public his desire to fight Tito and I think it will be interesting to hear his opinion.
Bowen50
12/17/08 7:01:47PM

Posted by cowcatcher

tito never fails to disappoint

side note: he may end up being a pretty damn good color commentator, hes fairly well spoken and knows mma.

i was thinking the same thing. even though i don't like Tito as a fighter he's been in the fight game for about 11 years now. he should be able to provide some good insight and he does have a pretty colorful personality. plus it could be worse, they could have had Mauro commentate
Jackelope
12/17/08 7:16:05PM
I guess I'm the anomaly. I like Frank Trigg's commentary and I don't think I'll like Tito's. Meh, we'll see though.
Givershit
12/17/08 11:26:43PM
Ughh. The only thing worse than watching Tito fight is listening to him talk. War Joe Rogan and Bas Rutten.
jae_1833
12/17/08 11:50:29PM

Posted by ThaAxeMurderer7

Anybody else interested to hear what Tito has to say about Babalu? I know Babalu has made public his desire to fight Tito and I think it will be interesting to hear his opinion.

I was thinking about that.....Tito commentates a Babalu fight, and Babalu challenges him afterwards, Tito hops into the cage and the scene is set for Affliction 3, that and Fedor vs Barnett....could be the best Affliction has to offer right now, but it's good enough for me!!!
motorboatensob
12/18/08 9:22:20AM
His mouth is about the only thing he is good for any more.
Darnok
12/18/08 10:58:36AM

All you guys are waiting and saying, 'What is Tito Ortiz going to say next?'"

Yeh were just sitting on pins and needles here.

he will not be paid for his broadcasting work

He'll do just about anything to get his foot in the door.
MMAcca
12/18/08 11:29:23AM