Affliction Responds to UFC's Counter-programming

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Affliction Responds to UFC's Counter-programming
kastro_316
12/17/08 3:34:07PM
DreamFighters.com

I do not consider this act to be an act of counter-programming by the UFC. The UFC regularly features on Spike stories of upcoming fights (such as the St. Pierre vs Penn II fight). On the same basis, the UFC Unleashed program airs regularly at this time. Lastly, the notion that showing a rerun of the Couture vs. Lesnar fight could impact Trump’s Affliction “Day Of Reckoning” event is absurd. I say this for two (2) reasons: First, we all know the result of the fight which was considered by many fans and pundits mediocre at best. Secondly, no fan of the sport, whether a die hard fan or casual, would miss Affliction’s stacked fight card to watch this repeat.

4u2nv
12/17/08 3:57:32PM
Agreed, I mean Affliction is putting on a sick card and i dont know y everyone thinks UFC is so out to get them and them only.
Jackelope
12/17/08 4:16:52PM

Posted by 4u2nv

Agreed, I mean Affliction is putting on a sick card and i dont know y everyone thinks UFC is so out to get them and them only.

Are you kidding? Of course the UFC is out to get them. Specifically because they ARE putting on stacked cards
wapttn
12/17/08 4:26:43PM
I like that affliction is taking the high road by not blasting the ufc for this strategy which some would consider bully-ish.. but the other comments are absurd. I dont think anyone at affliction honesty believes that the ufc airing the second biggest ufc card of all time for free in the same time slot as affliction will have no effect on their ppv buys.

The problem is that affliction has only had 1 show, and this show was over half a year ago. They have little to no brand placement in the market for the casual mma fan. How many of the casual fans dont know the difference between mma and ufc? How many of the casual fans would rather watch randy couture and brock lesnar for free on spike than pay for a ppv card built with fighters that are almost unrecognizable to anyone who didnt follow pride? I'm gonna buy the affliction card, and i'm looking forward to it.... but without a serious marketing push, why would any casual fan pay for the affliction card over watching the ufc card for free?

And if affliction does a hard marketing push, they'll have to make sure to differentiate their brand from the ufc's because for people who dont know the difference... affliction will simply be promoting mma... and when people think mma = ufc, they'll be more than content with tuning in to spike.
Diamondback2
12/17/08 4:30:13PM

Posted by kastro_316

DreamFighters.com

I do not consider this act to be an act of counter-programming by the UFC. The UFC regularly features on Spike stories of upcoming fights (such as the St. Pierre vs Penn II fight). On the same basis, the UFC Unleashed program airs regularly at this time. Lastly, the notion that showing a rerun of the Couture vs. Lesnar fight could impact Trump’s Affliction “Day Of Reckoning” event is absurd. I say this for two (2) reasons: First, we all know the result of the fight which was considered by many fans and pundits mediocre at best. Secondly, no fan of the sport, whether a die hard fan or casual, would miss Affliction’s stacked fight card to watch this repeat.

I have to call BS on this one. It IS counter programming 100%. They KNOW it.

If it is not counter programming than how come they chose UFC 91? They still have not played UFC 88, 89, and 90 replays (that i know of) and if this was not just a rare once in a million thing than I have a feeling UFC 90 would be on. They would love another chance to promote Anderson Silva on TV but they know Brock will draw ALOT more viewers.

UFC 88: I'm sure the UFC does not want to show Chuck getting knocked out that bad on spike and ruin alot of casual fans views about him (the ppl that do not visit mma sites or watch every single event). But even in the same token it will hype UFC 92 like crazy. Many casual fans have NO IDEA Rashad knocked out Chuck. Could do good for Rashad's popularity.

UFC 89: was nothing special and in the cpl months i'v been without cable im sure they probably replayed it at least once by now.

UFC 90: perfect replay event, even though Silva wins by a weird way he did some of his flashiest striking ever IMO in that fight. And it promotes the destined Silva/Cote II even well before it is scheduled

UFC 91: Replay wise it's not where UFC 90 is. Even though Lesnar beat Couture it would only upset long time fans who know Couture and really do not know Lesnar. BUT alot of people know Lesnar and stats wise this card would draw the most viewers away from Affliction. It's all about numbers with this event otherwise UFC 88 or 90 would be on.

The key alot of people here forget is the UFC is appealing to the casual fan, the type of guy that would never even to think about any MMA website not named UFC.com, let alone visit the message boards on said sites.

90% of the poeple i randomly end up tlaking about mma with at work, out and about, and wherever are asking me who won Penn and Sherk, and it's August! Or who won Forrest and Rampage? I just got that quesiton from one of our drivers like 2 weeks ago.

So in this case the UFC is number hunting and I think it'll work. Too bad i would have liked to watch UFC 88 or 90 again.

Edit: . NO casual fan will pick Affliction over UFC 91. Find me one true casual fan that will pick Fedor vs AA over Couture vs Lesnar and i will show you the value of the imaginary number P.

But yea the affliction card is sweet, im actually excited for Lauzon vs Horedecki (sp?) alot!
Jackelope
12/17/08 4:31:37PM
To wapttn: and on that note- why doesn't affliction market better? They bought the banner in times square last time, obviously, but c'mon.. how about some TV advertising? I don't recall once seeing an Affliction:Banned commercial on TV. Do any of you?
Wolfenstein
12/17/08 5:05:28PM

Posted by Jackelope

To wapttn: and on that note- why doesn't affliction market better? They bought the banner in times square last time, obviously, but c'mon.. how about some TV advertising? I don't recall once seeing an Affliction:Banned commercial on TV. Do any of you?

The only one I remember is that very random Fedor commercial that was played over and over during Elite XC's event, which was kind of pointless in retrospect as most have surely forgotten it by now.
higdon10
12/17/08 6:14:46PM
It is counter programming and it works.
wapttn
12/17/08 6:21:33PM
I graduate in april with a commerce degree in april and my major is marketing. From a business student's standpoint, affliction is doing a horrible job of marketing their product. They have a good product... even if they only put on two cards a year, they have the best heavy weight divison in mma right now. They need to understand their market segments (causal fans, hardcore fans, potential fans, etc) and being able to target them efficiently. My biggest issue is that they're not differentiating themselves from the ufc, or investing enough effort into hyping the event. I dont think they need to build the affliction brand, but they do need to built the affliction events.

How hard would it be to run a 24/7 event on fedor and arlovski? Point out that fedor has wins over the current interim champ of the ufc, point out that fedor dismantled one of the ufc's biggest hw champs... give some background to whats actually taking place in these events. Like make an effort to cut through the bs hype that the ufc surrounds their promotion with. Like would anybody really think silva was p4p best fighter in the world if dana didnt shove that fact down our throat? If the fans could see affliction for what it really was and could see the ufc for what the ufc really was, then people would be just as likely to buy affliction events than ufc events. Communicating that value to the consumer is all marketing.

bls1919
12/17/08 6:37:57PM
Nice job of Affliction stayingout of a war of words. I hope they can prosper asa fight org.
Jackelope
12/17/08 6:45:10PM

Posted by wapttn

I graduate in april with a commerce degree in april and my major is marketing. From a business student's standpoint, affliction is doing a horrible job of marketing their product. They have a good product... even if they only put on two cards a year, they have the best heavy weight divison in mma right now. They need to understand their market segments (causal fans, hardcore fans, potential fans, etc) and being able to target them efficiently. My biggest issue is that they're not differentiating themselves from the ufc, or investing enough effort into hyping the event. I dont think they need to build the affliction brand, but they do need to built the affliction events.

How hard would it be to run a 24/7 event on fedor and arlovski? Point out that fedor has wins over the current interim champ of the ufc, point out that fedor dismantled one of the ufc's biggest hw champs... give some background to whats actually taking place in these events. Like make an effort to cut through the bs hype that the ufc surrounds their promotion with. Like would anybody really think silva was p4p best fighter in the world if dana didnt shove that fact down our throat? If the fans could see affliction for what it really was and could see the ufc for what the ufc really was, then people would be just as likely to buy affliction events than ufc events. Communicating that value to the consumer is all marketing.

See.. I'm no marketing major but these are all my thoughts pretty much through and through. Fedor is hugely marketable if only done right (Although of course the problem is that the UFC has the rights to all of the PRIDE videos) and Arlovski is just the same. Not to mention the plethora of other top fighters they have on the card
The-Don
12/17/08 6:45:19PM

Posted by wapttn

Excellent points.. Unless Affliction is planing on doing a media blitz closer to teh event they are going to have trouble.. Yea they got the best most exciting HW's going and some of the most skilled. But no one knows about these guys.. They really need to get the word out..
Red-Dragon
12/17/08 6:46:57PM
I like Affliction and what they are trying to do alot.
the more org's doing stacked cards the better for me and all your hardcore fans. Also better for the fighters when there are competing org's. Fair play to them for not getting into a slanging match with UFC. We all know what Dana is like and he says he only does it in retaliation so lets see......
Mayo
12/17/08 10:09:10PM

Posted by Jackelope

Fedor is hugely marketable if only done right (Although of course the problem is that the UFC has the rights to all of the PRIDE videos) and Arlovski is just the same.

Very good point, I totally forgot about that! Affliction can't do any flashy adds with past fight footage because UFC owns it all
Rush
12/19/08 3:38:26PM

Posted by Jackelope

On regular TV, I don't recall ever seeing a UFC advert. Only on Spike have I seen one. Advertising on one channel is better than nothing, I agree, but then again, do the people already regularly watching Spike TV, and the UFC brand shows (which is where the bulk of the UFC event advertising is placed I am sure) really need too much reminder about the next events?

Posted by wapttn

With all due respect, are you implying that Donald Trump (a major shareholder in Affliction entertainment) knows less about marketing than a college/univ. graduate? Since he is considered to be a major shareholder in the company I assume that he has a considerable say in the direction of the company in any facet. Maybe I am wrong in that Trump is just investing, but focusing on other aspects of his empire, but I can't see the man allowing his money to be put into a company and letting them not even market their product.

I think a lot of people are focusing on the Affliction vs. UFC aspect. That is, thinking that they are (or should be) marketing to the same fan base. Now, from what I've read, Affliction clothing seems to be making a pretty big splash in professional wrestling. Maybe Affliction entertainment is using their sister company (affliction clothing) to help market their event? Maybe they are trying to target wrestling fans to build their fan base foundation? Call me crazy, but I could see wrestling fans occasionally moonlighting as MMA (Affliction) fans a couple times a year.

Another thing, the clothing line does work as general advertising and they don't have to invest a lot of money. Notice how ever since Affliction started their MMA promotion, you don't hear much if anything about the clothing line from the UFC? I bet that is to avoid exposure of the Affliction product because even "negative" exposure is exposure.

All in all, with Trump on board I trust that the company knows what they are doing and has a plan. From what I remember the Banned event did quite well having been a new company and venue.