Affliction payout shows dana's lies

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Affliction payout shows dana's lies
Next Page »
soundboy1
7/22/08 5:05:10PM
One of Dana's main reasons for not signing Fedor was something along the lines of he wants more money than anyone's ever been paid to fight in the UFC. Where was that crack legal team for Fedor during the Affliction negotiations? Fedor made less than AA and Sylvia. He only made 50 k more than Rothwell! Who lost! The only thing Fedor wanted was to be able to compete in non-MMA events in Russia and Internationally. For whatever reason Dana did not allow that to happen and look at the writing on the wall. There is finally competition for the UFC! If Affliction can afford to stay in business then Dana better watch out. Who wants to fight for peanuts when people are makig real money at Affliction. I think I am going to buy an Affliction shirt to support the cause!
Mattchoo
7/22/08 5:11:37PM
You'd better get buying then, with pay days like that I dont see them sticking around for much longer,
grappler0000
7/22/08 5:12:44PM
TBH, I'm not sure why Fedor made so little. It was common knowledge that 2M was his asking price...it was confirmed by more than 1 source. The UFC payed Cro-Cop 400k a fight, so I know they are willing to pay more for Fedor than that.

As far as the fighters getting payed well...I'd love to see them get payed that well each and every time, but I don't think Affliction will last long with those high payouts.
TWITA
7/22/08 5:16:36PM
I don't quite understand the fighter payouts - why would Affliction pay their fighters more than what they earned in ticket sales (over $1M more)? Add in all of the associated costs to host the event and they are out even more cash. So basically they were banking on the PPV sales to earn out this event ... or were they planting a seed to try and get other fighters to come over to Affliction. Interesting - but you can only throw so much $$$ into a black hole before you can't afford to do that anymore.
juanez13
7/22/08 5:16:53PM
It had nothing to do with money, The UFC offered Fedor more money than any other company. Problem was that Fedor still wants to compete in other sports (sambo) which could interfere with what the UFC wanted to do with Fedor (in terms of when they wanted him to fight etc...) and the possibility of him getting injured in such competitions could also get in the way (gets injured, cant fight for 6 months, screws the UFC over)...+ other things that Fedor's management wanted (fight in Japan new years eve, hold an event in russia, sign red devil fighters)

Overall i think Dana could have worked around that, but his ego is too big and he cant swallow his pride for once. But the accusations you're making have no truth behind it, even the things i've said were all speculation. Pretty clear you're an Anti-UFC "fan", just taking a shot at the UFC for no real reason, as if there wasnt enough people doing it already.
grappler0000
7/22/08 5:18:02PM

Posted by TWITA

I don't quite understand the fighter payouts - why would Affliction pay their fighters more than what they earned in ticket sales (over $1M more)? Add in all of the associated costs to host the event and they are out even more cash. So basically they were banking on the PPV sales to earn out this event ... or were they planting a seed to try and get other fighters to come over to Affliction. Interesting - but you can only throw so much $$$ into a black hole before you can't afford to do that anymore.

Gotta spend money to make money. They're main interest was putting on a great show...if they were to break even, then it's a bonus.
TWITA
7/22/08 5:34:42PM

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by TWITA

Gotta spend money to make money. They're main interest was putting on a great show...if they were to break even, then it's a bonus.

Understood. My point is that you can only spend so much money (to make money) before the well runs dry.
soundboy1
7/22/08 5:42:06PM

Posted by juanez13

It had nothing to do with money, The UFC offered Fedor more money than any other company. Problem was that Fedor still wants to compete in other sports (sambo) which could interfere with what the UFC wanted to do with Fedor (in terms of when they wanted him to fight etc...) and the possibility of him getting injured in such competitions could also get in the way (gets injured, cant fight for 6 months, screws the UFC over)...+ other things that Fedor's management wanted (fight in Japan new years eve, hold an event in russia, sign red devil fighters)

Overall i think Dana could have worked around that, but his ego is too big and he cant swallow his pride for once. But the accusations you're making have no truth behind it, even the things i've said were all speculation. Pretty clear you're an Anti-UFC "fan", just taking a shot at the UFC for no real reason, as if there wasnt enough people doing it already.

I love the UFC. That's why I wanted Fedor to fight Randy in the Octagon last year. I do not like the way Dana handled the Fedor situation, and then the Randy situation. I feel like he is personally damaging the sport by not allowing cross-promotional fights. It bothers me that Dana let his pride get in the way of the fight that everyone in the world wanted to see. Why couldn't he let Fedor fight his Sambo fights? Sure he could get injured but people get injured in practice all the time. Why not hold an event in russia? What could possibly be the problem with that? I do understand not letting him fight on NYE, but I really don't think that stopped Fedor from signing......And why not sign Red Devil fighters, they are at least as good as some scrub from TUF. Basically I am bitter over the fact that the UFC has this great organization that is going to swallow itself because of its own success.....Dana has done amazing things with the UFC and I respect him for that. But the whole Fedor not signing being Fedor's fault is a bunch of crap. Oh and he is worth 2 million a fight.
grappler0000
7/22/08 5:54:01PM

Posted by TWITA

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by TWITA

Understood. My point is that you can only spend so much money (to make money) before the well runs dry.

I agree that they are paying their fighters too much, but not because they couldn't recoup the cost from ticket sales...their PPV buys won't be strong enough to cover the difference plus other costs.
soundboy1
7/22/08 6:02:54PM
I am sure there is more than a few fighters with contracts almost up that will jump at the chance to fight for real money. I mean these guys train 4 months for a fight and then get paid 10k for a win? That's insane! That's less than minimum wage! Of course there is sponsorships but fighters will still be sponsored and get fair purses. Affliction may fold but at least it gives the fighters negotiating room...
JimiMak
7/22/08 6:08:14PM
Dana offered more money than anyone. Fedor's other demands kept the contracts from being signed. As if this hadn't been answered a year ago. We shouldn't have to rehash this issue everytime the man fights. He was asking for stuff that noone gets. period. He didn't like that so he didn't sign. Get over it. The most interesting fights for him aren't even in UFC.

You've basically failed at every point you've tried to make.

If you think Dana is personally ruining the sport that he actually built then I don't know enuf words to describe how idiotic that is. I'm sure he doesn't care if you agree w/ his business dec's, and I don't think anyone here does either.
soundboy1
7/22/08 7:32:22PM
My point was that Dana White lied to the public when he said that Fedors demands were unreasonable. FIrst of all they were private negotiations. So for anyone to say they know what was discussed is just passing around hear-say.
As I said before why not let Fedor fight his Team Sambo fights? It's just good practice. Dana simply did not want to change the pay structure of the UFC.

I personally think the UFC fighters should get paid 3-4 times what they are being paid now. If a fighter wins a ten thousand dollar purse guess how much he takes home? 40% to uncle sam, 40 or more to his management leaving 15-20% for the fighter wow 2 grand for 4 months of work. Many of the people who are on this site make that or more in a week.

I have a chip on my shoulder about dana because I was a huge Pride fan or as rogan says "the hardcore mma addicts" I never hated or disliked UFC I just considered it inferior.(MY OPINION). But I did respect that they had some good fighters and that between Pride and UFC all the best talent in the world was represented. So it was only natural that I would be stoked to see my favorite fighter finally face some fresh meat. Dana should have signed his first-born away if that's what Fedor wanted. I mean look how much they hyped CroCop and he had just been battered by Fedor. Even if, no especially if Fedor was fighting in the Olympics and could only fight here twice a year who cares! That just gives you more time to hype his next fight! Obviously dana does not care about MMA fans desires or we would see deeper cards and Fedor vs. Randy would have happened in an Octagon. Now Affliction will end up promoting the biggest fight ever and the UFC gave it up.............
Evilwig
7/22/08 9:15:37PM
My god, affliction just done a somewhat overrated show and it seem everybody wetting their pants and started nuthugging them. I mean, Fedor salary only is what affliction paid him, not M-1 not the sponsor and not even % on the ppv buy. So in reality he could easily be paid two millions for what we know.
It`s the same thing with the UFC, George, Chuck and the others are paid more than what the payout said because they are given "locker bonus" and other stuff that are not divulgated by the UFC and if you look at the payout some fighter have been the same amount has if they would have been with the UFC.

Also, before accusing Dana of lying at least until affliction has stuck around for a year and more than one show. I don`t if the UFC pissed you off so much just stop watching and only watch affliction and Elite XC.

I think Dana and the UFC have done so much for the sport and they are deserving alot of credit and this whole thread of bashing is getting kinda of old too...

soundboy1
7/22/08 10:05:36PM
I completely agree with everyone about this being old news and apologize for bringing it up again. But I come here to vent about stuff that really bothers me in the MMA world. And guess what the only thing that bothers me is Fedor not fighting in the UFC against Randy Couture. And if money was the reason why then Dana White is to blame. That's it. I blew my wad.
TOMMYAYO05
7/23/08 12:36:31AM
i really liked the show and i c them sticking around for competition....i say they need to sign tito ortiz because he has one of the biggest fan bases and he can fight say....babalu?nogueria? i would like to see them sign some top fighters like maybe yamamoto,calvacante,trigg,cung le,frank shamrock, and there is so many other names i can really see them rising if their smart...the top ten heavyweights are mostly there already i believe 5 or 6 are signed so ufc watch out
soundboy1
7/23/08 12:46:53AM

Posted by TOMMYAYO05

i really liked the show and i c them sticking around for competition....i say they need to sign tito ortiz because he has one of the biggest fan bases and he can fight say....babalu?nogueria? i would like to see them sign some top fighters like maybe yamamoto,calvacante,trigg,cung le,frank shamrock, and there is so many other names i can really see them rising if their smart...the top ten heavyweights are mostly there already i believe 5 or 6 are signed so ufc watch out

This has to be the VP guy from Affliction.
SmileR
7/23/08 8:33:19AM

Posted by grappler0000

TBH, I'm not sure why Fedor made so little. It was common knowledge that 2M was his asking price...it was confirmed by more than 1 source. The UFC payed Cro-Cop 400k a fight, so I know they are willing to pay more for Fedor than that.

As far as the fighters getting payed well...I'd love to see them get payed that well each and every time, but I don't think Affliction will last long with those high payouts.

I think Fedor has learned that he's not going to get his 2M a fight and was sort of backed into a corner. Also though on all the pay out sheets is said that fighters were also awarded bonuses undisclosed to the press. Fedor could have also got a percentage of the gate or PPV buys to bump up his salary.
Theirs no point saying Dana or the UFC drove him off with the no compete clause in his contract because I can't think of many champions that are allowed to compete in other sports.

soundboy1
7/23/08 9:57:07AM
Champions are allowed to compete in other sports all the time.All-star games, Olympics come to mind......all fedor wanted was to represent russia in the olympics and Sambo championships. .And for UFC to co-sponsor a show in russia with russian fighters.RUssia is big enough to support its own UFC. Dana is incredibly short-sighted while at the same time being a pioneer.He really confuses me with his actions sometimes. But I really like how he is handling Rampage's situation.
I mean I like Dana and what he's done but aI am extremely happy there is another game in town. All it means is that the UFC will have to put on deeper cards. Hooray Affliction!
Evilwig
7/23/08 10:56:16AM

Posted by soundboy1

Champions are allowed to compete in other sports all the time.All-star games, Olympics come to mind......all fedor wanted was to represent russia in the olympics and Sambo championships. .And for UFC to co-sponsor a show in russia with russian fighters.RUssia is big enough to support its own UFC. Dana is incredibly short-sighted while at the same time being a pioneer.He really confuses me with his actions sometimes. But I really like how he is handling Rampage's situation.
I mean I like Dana and what he's done but aI am extremely happy there is another game in town. All it means is that the UFC will have to put on deeper cards. Hooray Affliction!

All-Star game are part of the league they are in. Most people in Olympics are amateurs athletes except for like Hockey and Basketball... Your point proves nothing, I thing you should also blame world hunger, war and AIDS on Dana.

I means it's a business he's running, so he needs to have a long term vision and not just focusing everything on little match like Fedor vs Couture. And I think the Affliction card was that deep. Most of the match-up were a experience fighter against a generic/ out of shape fighter. So while, it was fun to watch all to renown fighters it was not the best match up and I was not standing on the edge of my chair watching those match....
hippysmacker
7/28/08 8:38:48AM

Posted by soundboy1

One of Dana's main reasons for not signing Fedor was something along the lines of he wants more money than anyone's ever been paid to fight in the UFC. Where was that crack legal team for Fedor during the Affliction negotiations? Fedor made less than AA and Sylvia. He only made 50 k more than Rothwell! Who lost! The only thing Fedor wanted was to be able to compete in non-MMA events in Russia and Internationally. For whatever reason Dana did not allow that to happen and look at the writing on the wall. There is finally competition for the UFC! If Affliction can afford to stay in business then Dana better watch out. Who wants to fight for peanuts when people are makig real money at Affliction. I think I am going to buy an Affliction shirt to support the cause!

This entire premise of this thread is wrong, Fedor was the highest paid fighter there according to multiple media sources he made well over a million dollars. This article sines some light on it for you though. Basically he got paid a big signing bonus up front, and a lot of foreign fighters do this stuff in order to pay the majority of their taxes in their home country.

http://mmamania.com/2008/07/26/fedor-gets-more-than-300000-for-win-over-tim-sylvia-at-affliction/

Affliction sure did pay out a lot though, Gives me hope for their future, and mma's as a whole.
soundboy1
7/28/08 10:09:36AM

But in general Dana is turning MMA into boxing! He created Affliction by not paying his stars correctly!and my point was that fighters should get paid more!
I guarantee that UFC will suffer due to Dana's arrogance.( it already has ask Randy Couture)
Evilwig
7/28/08 11:31:14AM
I don't think that fighters like Randy, Tito, Chuck, Spider, GSP or Rampage should be paid more making 200 000 to 500 000 per fight plus all the sponsorship and bonus, is enough in my opinion. Fighter who are paid 4 000 to 10 000 per fight should be paid more.

Dana is doing exactly what right not giving into the hype and spend money like mad, and the become boxing or baseball, with player making more money than a small country and playing like asses after.... Or worse become floyd Mayweather Jr...

Also Randy is far from being a victim here, the problem with Randy is not the money, it's breaking a legal contract and his obsession with Fedor. All this so he can get his ass handed to him...
mrsmiley
7/28/08 12:58:41PM

Posted by Evilwig

Posted by soundboy1

All-Star game are part of the league they are in. Most people in Olympics are amateurs athletes except for like Hockey and Basketball... Your point proves nothing, I thing you should also blame world hunger, war and AIDS on Dana.

I means it's a business he's running, so he needs to have a long term vision and not just focusing everything on little match like Fedor vs Couture. And I think the Affliction card was that deep. Most of the match-up were a experience fighter against a generic/ out of shape fighter. So while, it was fun to watch all to renown fighters it was not the best match up and I was not standing on the edge of my chair watching those match....

I understand were you're coming from.It is a business,but above all else,it should be looked at as a sport.And Athletes want to compete.
I believe both of you have made valid points on this discussion but in all honesty I believe Fedors management has an agenda,and Dana White has an agenda as well.In the end the two parties were probably both too stuborn to make a legitmate compromise.

I don't think any fans can really complain about the situation now though.Fedor is fighting for Affliction,and their heavy-weight roster is looking good.Even if Affliction only last 3 shows,if Fedor fights and wins on all three,judging from the warm reception he recieved during the Sylvia fight,I think Fedor will be a prime example of how a fighter can create his star status outside of the UFC.
soundboy1
7/28/08 1:40:49PM
No wonder you are the MMA sensei! You are of course correct. I just have a huge chip on my shoulder when it comes to Dana White. My first experiences enjoying MMA was watching Pride. I eventually started watching UFC and loved it but I just wished Pride champs would fight UFC champs. That would have been great for the fans which in turn is great for the sport.
About 2 years later Zuffa bought Pride. I was so PSYCHED! Finally all the dream matches we had been thinking about for years would happen. Dana even said that he was going to keep Pride functioning. From a business standpoint that made the most sense. He would still have the huge japanese audience plus he could do insane "cross-promotional" fights and we the fans would eat it up.
Instead we got stuck with shows like EliteXC,Affliction,IFL,Dream and bodog............I do like those leagues but I just feel like the talent is spread way too thin,,,,,,
I am glad Dana got most of the Pride fighters I just wish he had got Fedor, hence the long rambling anti-dana posts....
telnights
7/28/08 2:03:09PM

Posted by soundboy1

But in general Dana is turning MMA into boxing! He created Affliction by not paying his stars correctly!and my point was that fighters should get paid more!
I guarantee that UFC will suffer due to Dana's arrogance.( it already has ask Randy Couture)

You really know how that sounds. Do you really know anything about boxing? For one UFCs pay is based on bonuses. In the UFC even your lowest payed fighter has a chance to make big money because of this. Also in the UFC the pay is more evened out across the board compared to boxing. In boxing your headliner could make 20 mil for one fight while your under card fighters will be lucky to make 1k-3k and have no chance to make anymore no matter how good of a fight they put on. In some Boxing events the losing fighter is lucky to make anything at all. MMA was almost dead in the US till the UFC made TUF. The UFC PAYED SpikeTV just to air the show. This in itself started the UFC boom and like it or not you have Dana to thank for this. Plus Dana talked his friends (the Fertittas) in to buying a company this was almost dead(the UFC) and turned that company in to what it is today. So to say Dana is short-sighted just shows you lack of knowledge of MMA why MMA is growing so much in the US. Also it has been shown that Fedor not signing wasn't just the Sambo issue it was a lot of things. If I ran a company I wouldn't have agreed to those demands either. Fedor's manager was pushing for the UFC to buy M-1, pick up other fighters on the Red Devil team, give Fedor full rights to his video from his fights in the UFC, put on shows in the USSR, let him fight in Sambo, and pay him around 2 mil a fight. I don't know of any company in its right mind that would agree to these terms. I can see an upstart going for this but a company that's already got a foot hold in the market would never agree to this as it will just cause them more problems down the road. So if it wasn't for Dana and the UFC help making what MMA is today we wouldn't even be having this talk because the UFC and Pride both would have folded and you wouldn't have any of these other company's at all.
Evilwig
7/28/08 2:57:34PM
Wolfenstein
7/28/08 3:22:57PM
I can understand the UFC's reluctance to signing Fedor. He doesn't just want money, he seems to have other stipulations. With Affliction he wants to own his own footage so that Affliction has to pay him whenever footage of him is aired. With the UFC he wanted a UFC show in Russia. That may not be a big deal now since the UFC is going the international route, but he's trying to manipulate the way the organization is run. Hey dude you may be the #1 fighter but you're not an owner of the organization and you're not going to force one to hold an event where you choose.

I don't think you can put the blame on Dana. They're control freaks at the UFC, and yeah they should maybe loosen the leash a little, but they're not going to allow fighters to dictate how they operate.
soundboy1
7/28/08 3:37:03PM
I feel what everyone is saying. But i have my own reasons for hating Dana White. I had no idea so many people were in love with him! But I totally disagree about fighter payouts. Fedor is definitely worth 2 million a fight for now. So is Anderson Silva! If you think about the money that these guys generate for the UFC 2 mil is chump change. There should be some sort of minimum pay scale per fight. Because the thing is the fighters don't see much of their purse at all. And I doubt Condom Depot is paying all that much!
telnights
7/28/08 4:38:51PM

Posted by soundboy1

I feel what everyone is saying. But i have my own reasons for hating Dana White. I had no idea so many people were in love with him! But I totally disagree about fighter payouts. Fedor is definitely worth 2 million a fight for now. So is Anderson Silva! If you think about the money that these guys generate for the UFC 2 mil is chump change. There should be some sort of minimum pay scale per fight. Because the thing is the fighters don't see much of their purse at all. And I doubt Condom Depot is paying all that much!

You just hate Dana because? Come on man you contradicting yourself. First it was Dana lied about how much Fedor wanted because Affliction only payed him 300k which you didn't seam to have a problem with this even if it was rumored that the UFC offered him up to 2-3 mil a fight. But once it was shown that Fedor made well over 2 mil with Affliction Dana doesn't pay his fighters enough. Come on man your hating just to hate. At least if your going to cry wolf have something legit to cry wolf about. I find it funny people talk about fighters getting payed more without knowing anything about how fighters pay works or how the UFC payouts work. Almost every fighter that is in the main event or tittle fights gets a cut of PPV sales some get more than others depending on their contract. Randy is a good example, even coming off back to back KO losses to a LHW He still made well over 1 mil for his fight with Tim when you add in PPV sales and bonuses. But reported pay of Randy was only $250,000.

BTW I don't love Dana I just know what he has done for this sport and I respect that. I don't hate anyone with out very good reason and don't base my dislike on half baked ideas.
Evilwig
7/28/08 5:08:22PM

Posted by soundboy1

It not about being in love with him. It's about to understand that he is just a guy doing his job and that the fighters have their own agenda too. So fighter won't always have what they want and so is Dana.

I think that 2 millions is too much for a fight, Fighter should win a salary that assure them to live well during and after their career. Not to become big head superstar just in it for the money and not for the noble sport the MMA is...
Pages: [1] 2