Will Affliction open peoples minds?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Will Affliction open peoples minds?
cmill21
7/6/08 12:50:17PM
I had a thought today, most mma fans today aren't mma fans but UFC fans, understandable since thats the biggest org by far. So if Affliction puts on a great show and shows UFC fans how good fighters like Barnett, Fedor, Rothwell, Lindland and Aleks are, I think we will have alot more intelligent fans. They might also try and find out where the hell these guys came from and in turn show people Japanese mma, growing Dream fans here in North America. I guess what i'm saying is that Affliction could have the best possible impact on mma in years, and even the UFC could benafit, they woulden't have to tell people that their new signee is good, people would just know. Just one mans opinion.
MALICE
7/6/08 12:58:49PM
I do see what you are saying and yes I do think it is very possible. But not in one event. If they put on a good event, that people like, and want to see again, that is the first step.

They have a stacked card with many great HW's. It should be a great night of fights. If all goes well for them, and they sign just as many big names in all other weightclasses. that will be the second step.

But it will still take time. But after they get they're name out there, if they continue to sign fighters as big a caliber as those already signed, I think they could be the UFC's next big opponent.
juanez13
7/6/08 1:02:12PM
No, i dont think it will, because very few casual MMA fans will be watching this show, and it'll take a large quantity to make a slight difference... This show will be watched overwhelmingly by hardcore fans, which most are already aware of the things happening outside of the UFC, and in the MMA world.

I wish it'd change "fans"(if you can call them that) as much as you do, but unless they do something drastically to market this event and make casual fans watch it, they wont get it, and at the end of the day this is a treat for us Hardcore fans, and a big loss for affliction.

I think if they can turn heads on this event, put on a great show, and get people to talk about this show, than the following shows could make a difference, but the First is about if they can spark an interest in people.
tylerlee123
7/6/08 1:07:56PM
Im interested in seeing a few of thier cards before i really say anything, but as for right now they are doing the right things, the card is stacked, UFC's Silva vs Irvin can't compare
tuvok500
7/6/08 1:33:02PM
Affliction card is almost only pure missmatch between a star and a guy who will be pay to enter the ring and lose.

Fedor vs Sylvia is an exception and maybe Hominick vs Young.

The rest is total miss match, almost like if Anderson Silva was fighting Gabe !!!

Franklinfan47
7/6/08 1:45:07PM
Theres nothing wrong with some competition. It makes things interesting and the ones who really win in it are the fans because rival orgs will always try to out do eachother. The result, we get more and better shows and more intelligent and knowledgable fans.
cmill21
7/6/08 1:52:51PM

Posted by tuvok500

Affliction card is almost only pure missmatch between a star and a guy who will be pay to enter the ring and lose.

Fedor vs Sylvia is an exception and maybe Hominick vs Young.

The rest is total miss match, almost like if Anderson Silva was fighting Gabe !!!

Thanks for the response you saw the point I was trying to make
Purge
7/6/08 3:28:06PM
With affliction it sounds like their trying to bring PRIDE back, fantastic shows, terrible match-ups loaded with underdogs. But who gives a ****, I just want to see Barnett take his sweet revenge, and Rizzo's leg while he's at it.
breakdown5
7/7/08 11:33:22PM
Like others have said, only hardcores will be watching the PPV, especially with the UFC putting on their F' Affliction show. It doesn't matter if it's the most violently gratifying set of fights in the history of unarmed combat if only 50000 people on the planet actually watch the fights. It would be like they never even happened in the eyes of the casual fan.
cmill21
7/8/08 12:19:34AM

Posted by breakdown5

Like others have said, only hardcores will be watching the PPV, especially with the UFC putting on their F' Affliction show. It doesn't matter if it's the most violently gratifying set of fights in the history of unarmed combat if only 50000 people on the planet actually watch the fights. It would be like they never even happened in the eyes of the casual fan.

In all honesty, all of the people I have talked to that are just casuals are planning on watching the Affliction show. Not sure if it will be the same for others but people around here are pretty excited about all kinds of mma.
Pookie
7/8/08 6:39:51PM

Posted by cmill21

Posted by breakdown5

In all honesty, all of the people I have talked to that are just casuals are planning on watching the Affliction show. Not sure if it will be the same for others but people around here are pretty excited about all kinds of mma.

Thank god for canada.
sammyd1213
7/8/08 8:25:14PM
Most of the MMA fans that I know dont care that much about the Affliction card. They are more excited to see Silva fight.
cmill21
7/8/08 9:02:56PM

Posted by sammyd1213

Most of the MMA fans that I know dont care that much about the Affliction card. They are more excited to see Silva fight.

Booo! Change their minds! Affliction could positivly effect the UFC financially, they could sell a boat load more Pride dvd's.
whardin19
7/8/08 9:12:14PM
I have to say they are going about being a good promotion the right way. They signed some really good fighters. The only problem I have with the card is that the fights are so lopsided (excluding Fedor vs. Tim). I hope I'm wrong and some of these underdogs to well. But if this card ends up being all lopsided fights alot of people are going to be turned off by it.
RNC
7/9/08 2:09:21AM
I agree with the concept of Affliction possibly broadening peoples horizons on MMA. 90% of the time when I talk MMA with someone, they think the UFC is MMA. So yes, I think Affliction could have a positive impact on the MMA world as a whole.

However, the size of that impact is questionable. For Affliction to do some real damage, a free fight card would've been the trick, and getting a major tv deal like EliteXC would've been even better.
The-Don
7/14/08 12:10:03PM

Posted by RNC

I agree with the concept of Affliction possibly broadening peoples horizons on MMA. 90% of the time when I talk MMA with someone, they think the UFC is MMA. So yes, I think Affliction could have a positive impact on the MMA world as a whole.

However, the size of that impact is questionable. For Affliction to do some real damage, a free fight card would've been the trick, and getting a major tv deal like EliteXC would've been even better.

good lead in to my thoughts... After the PPV show if affliction is smart they will get the show shown on TV a week or two later... so those that did not get it or were un aware of it.. can see it.. this will get people talking about thier 2nd show.. and expose them to the more casual MMA fan who thinks MMA and UFC are all one and the same..