Affliction Officialls Cancells Trilogy

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Affliction Officialls Cancells Trilogy
« Previous Page
Chuckles
7/24/09 3:39:52PM
The question is if they magically stay alive (highly unlikely) how long until they get that last fight out of Fedor's contract or do they just release him due to the fact this fight falling apart wasn't his fault?
Aether
7/24/09 3:43:17PM
what kind of organization cancels an entire event 7 months in the making because one fighter fails a drug test? That's unbelievable.
Aether
7/24/09 3:52:25PM
I wouldn't be surprised if they made a decision to scrap the entire card just to keep Fedor locked into a contract so that the UFC would have no chance of signing him after a fight where everyone will say "he's fighting a LHW". I think the UFC is ready to start dramatically changing their terms to get Fedor at this point. Obviously they're never going to give in to the russian partnership, but I can easily see them making exceptions for his Sambo competitions and other smaller allowances that could advance the talks.
cmill21
7/24/09 4:06:33PM
If they did cancel this just because of the Barnett thing thats rediculous. The other fighters deserve to have their fights. This is unheard of.
telnights
7/24/09 4:07:38PM
I cant say I'm shocked at all. They have tried to compete against the UFC out of the gate which is just a bad idea. Also paying fighters what they were was just to much and was basically burning money. Now is this truly the end of Affliction we don't know yet but as a betting man I would say yes this is the end.

Posted by Rush

Posted by hippysmacker

If I was world victory road I would be on the phone right now. Its scheduled to take place the same day anyway. They don't test in Japan, and don't recognize US athletic commission authority, since Barnett went and fought there after he failed a test last time. If they just added Fedor/Barney, Mousassi/Babalu/and Vitor/Santiago it would be n epic card IMO.

I agree that this would be the best way to salvage some fights and or the card as a whole. However, having Barnett fight in Japan, after he has tested positive would only enhance the stigma that all fighters fighting in Japan are on performance enhancing substances.

I agree Rush it would do nothing but hurt the image of MMA in Japan. Plus Barnett would end his career in fighting or cornering ever in the US. The commissions don't take going against them well at all and by breaking his suspension (which is coming) will not only end his career in the US but also make it very tough for any fighters affiliated with him also.
emfleek
7/24/09 4:12:43PM

Posted by telnights

I agree Rush it would do nothing but hurt the image of MMA in Japan. Plus Barnett would end his career in fighting or cornering ever in the US. The commissions don't take going against them well at all and by breaking his suspension (which is coming) will not only end his career in the US but also make it very tough for any fighters affiliated with him also.

Would it end his career in the US or just California, since it's the CSAC? I'm not sure how that stuff works.
telnights
7/24/09 4:14:47PM

Posted by cmill21

If they did cancel this just because of the Barnett thing thats rediculous. The other fighters deserve to have their fights. This is unheard of.

I agree I think it is also, but I think the problem was their PPV carrier not wanting to put on the show due to the loss of the main event. It also maybe they were hoping this event would get them back on track and now that the main event is lost they see no reason is losing more money. Could be a lot of reasons but if this is the end (which most of didn't even expect them to last this long) then it really is a sad day for MMA. I was happy to see EliteXC close its doors but not happy to see this one go under.
telnights
7/24/09 4:23:51PM

Posted by emfleek
Would it end his career in the US or just California, since it's the CSAC? I'm not sure how that stuff works.

Most of the commissions are friendly now days and uphold each others suspension. So to go against one commissions suspension would be career suicide in the US. What are the other commissions to think if you broke the rules got caught and went against their suspension of one commission. Who's to say you wont do the same to them if caught cheating. I really don't think he would even be able to get licensed in any state after doing so. Plus no major fight promotion would dare to go against any major commission.
copcopps
7/24/09 5:04:57PM
Will Sengoku be affected I heard about a combo card?
Jesse_Canadian_MMA
7/24/09 5:08:25PM
well I hope Mousasi heads to the UFC now to begin his run of dominance and I look forward to seeing some of these other fighters in the ufc and strikeforce as well
DCRage
7/24/09 6:00:17PM
Actually, Mousasi-Sobral could still happen. M-1 Global is interested in adding the fight to their event next month (headlined by Muhammad Lawal vs. Don Frye) and a couple of the prelims have a good shot at making that card. But Belfort-Santiago won't happen there due to M-1 having a limited budget to work with. Strikeforce on 8/15 is another possibility for some fights and fighters.
breakdown5
7/24/09 6:12:54PM
According to Weekly, they are going to announce that they are officially folding as a fight promotion and that the UFC is going to announce that they are going to be major sponsors, which could come into play before the next UFC PPV.

LINKAGE
Pages: 1 [2]