Affliction Officialls Cancells Trilogy

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Affliction Officialls Cancells Trilogy
Next Page »
TimW001
7/24/09 1:10:37PM
LINK

A week of misfortune turned to disaster for Affliction Entertainment on Friday, as the promotion canceled Affliction “Trilogy,” which had been scheduled for Aug. 1 at the Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif.

SI.com reported the news Friday morning, and Sherdog.com has confirmed it.

The cancellation -- which could spell the end of Affliction's year-long run as a mixed martial arts promotion -- comes on the heels of heavyweight Josh Barnett's failed drug test, which forced him out of the “Trilogy” main event against Fedor Emelianenko on Wednesday. Barnett, 32, tested positive for a banned anabolic steroid and was denied licensure by the California State Athletic Commission.
emfleek
7/24/09 1:16:11PM
Hmm...RIP Affliction, if that's the case.

This surprises me, though. The card was seemingly solid from top-to-bottom, in my opinion. Even without Barnett.
DCRage
7/24/09 1:16:24PM
Happy Trails, Affliction.

Edit: Weekly says a major factor was Showtime (PPV provider).
Chuckles
7/24/09 1:17:11PM
Sad day... why did you fail us Josh?
hopefully the organization isn't done for good
TimW001
7/24/09 1:17:35PM

Posted by emfleek

Hmm...RIP Affliction, if that's the case.

This surprises me, though. The card was seemingly solid from top-to-bottom, in my opinion. Even without Barnett.

Yea they could have found a replacement.

I think it's done. But we've been saying this since the first show.
KaibaThedon
7/24/09 1:18:21PM
Was looking foward to the Gegard Mousasi fight too... what a downer.

Oh well.
SmileR
7/24/09 1:23:37PM
Dam, Josh pulled a Kimbo and took a whole organization down with him!
The_Metal_Maniac
7/24/09 1:31:46PM
This just plain out sucks. I was looking forward to mostly every fight on this card, and now they cancel. Affliction is gone for sure.
Nightmare27
7/24/09 1:38:11PM
RIP They are done.
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
7/24/09 1:41:49PM
unbelievable
scoozna
7/24/09 1:47:54PM
I think I hear Dana laughing.

A conspiracy theorist would have a great time concocting a Dana-> Barnett -> Affliction -> Fedor conspiracy. I won't even mention what's going through my evil little brain right now, but if Dana wanted to get both Barnett and Fedor into the UFC...

EDIT:
Oh S***...that idea has come up half-a-dozen times already ...http://www.mmaplayground.com/forums/topic34460-1.html
McBee
7/24/09 1:52:19PM
HOLY ****
DCRage
7/24/09 1:53:32PM

Posted by SmileR

Dam, Josh pulled a Kimbo and took a whole organization down with him!

Actually, I think we can point to Ray Mercer as the beginning of the end. He was Seth & TIMMAY!! was Kimbo there. Who would've thought...
McBee
7/24/09 1:55:44PM
I guess Dana has an easier road to Fedor and Vitor now, but I thought that when Pride went down, in the end this will most likely make Strike force stronger and be bigger competition for the UFC. But Scott Coker is also a business man so all of those high pay days for fighters is gone, back to reality.
DCRage
7/24/09 1:56:18PM
Dana won't meet all of Fedor's demands. Won't pay him enough and won't let Fedor continue to do combat sambo tournaments.
postman
7/24/09 1:59:59PM
I found video of Dana right after he recived the news see below sorry about the poor quality.

skitzo
7/24/09 2:08:01PM
this is really disappointing news. Can't say i'm surprised, but still disappointing regardless.
wrona666
7/24/09 2:10:07PM
Well Fedor if you would sign with the UFC none of this would ever happen!!!!!
D0wnUnd6e6r
7/24/09 2:22:34PM
well thats a shame, was looking forward to mousasi vs babalu. anyways, r.i.p. affliction
The_Metal_Maniac
7/24/09 2:39:16PM

Posted by D0wnUnd6e6r

well thats a shame, was looking forward to mousasi vs babalu. anyways, r.i.p. affliction

Mousasi vs Babalu and Marquardt vs. Maia were the fights I was looking forward to the most in the second half of the year. poo
king_katool
7/24/09 2:41:20PM
wow, i NEVER seen this coming, is there more to this or is this all cause of barnett testing positive, would the PPv provider not go on without barnett?
chubbud22
7/24/09 2:52:28PM

Posted by scoozna

I think I hear Dana laughing.

A conspiracy theorist would have a great time concocting a Dana-> Barnett -> Affliction -> Fedor conspiracy. I won't even mention what's going through my evil little brain right now, but if Dana wanted to get both Barnett and Fedor into the UFC...

EDIT:
Oh S***...that idea has come up half-a-dozen times already ...http://www.mmaplayground.com/forums/topic34460-1.html

How long will Barnett be out for? The UFC wont touch Barnett IMO.I have tickets for this damn fight and i am pissed. They had a good enough card with out the roid asassin.
mrsmiley
7/24/09 2:58:25PM
I still hope,somewhere down the road we can see Barnett fight Fedor.
Maybe Japan?
Styles
7/24/09 3:03:39PM
Fedor will go to DREAM or Strikeforce. UFC wins again but they dont get the prize they want. They can now pick up Babalu if they want, but that is about it at this time Mousasi is scheduled to fight in DREAM 11 against Soko.
DaMaGeInC
7/24/09 3:11:38PM
wow what where they thinking
hippysmacker
7/24/09 3:24:04PM
If I was world victory road I would be on the phone right now. Its scheduled to take place the same day anyway. They don't test in Japan, and don't recognize US athletic commission authority, since Barnett went and fought there after he failed a test last time. If they just added Fedor/Barney, Mousassi/Babalu/and Vitor/Santiago it would be n epic card IMO.
gamez0932
7/24/09 3:26:55PM
Dana is dancing in his underwear right now with tall socks and a cowboy hat haha. what a good day for him.
Chuteboxer
7/24/09 3:30:24PM
So this is it; the end of Affliction. Can't say I didn't see it coming to end eventually anyways though.
emfleek
7/24/09 3:32:28PM
AFFLICTION:

Show Spelled Pronunciation [uh-flik-shuhn] Show IPA
Use affliction in a Sentence
–noun 1. a state of pain, distress, or grief; misery: They sympathized with us in our affliction.
2. a cause of mental or bodily pain, as sickness, loss, calamity, or persecution.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Origin:
1300–50; ME affliccioun < L affliction- (s. of afflictio). See afflict, -ion

Related forms:

AFFLICTION - less, adjective

Synonyms:
2. mishap, trouble, tribulation, calamity, catastrophe, disaster. Affliction, adversity, misfortune, trial refer to an event or circumstance that is hard to bear. A misfortune is any adverse or unfavorable occurrence: He had the misfortune to break his leg. Affliction suggests not only a serious misfortune but the emotional effect of this: Blindness is an affliction. Adversity suggests a calamity or distress: Job remained patient despite all his adversities. Trial emphasizes the testing of one's character in undergoing misfortunes, trouble, etc.: His son's conduct was a great trial to him.
Rush
7/24/09 3:36:18PM

Posted by hippysmacker

If I was world victory road I would be on the phone right now. Its scheduled to take place the same day anyway. They don't test in Japan, and don't recognize US athletic commission authority, since Barnett went and fought there after he failed a test last time. If they just added Fedor/Barney, Mousassi/Babalu/and Vitor/Santiago it would be n epic card IMO.

I agree that this would be the best way to salvage some fights and or the card as a whole. However, having Barnett fight in Japan, after he has tested positive would only enhance the stigma that all fighters fighting in Japan are on performance enhancing substances.
Pages: [1] 2