Affliction's October Event Postponed...

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Affliction's October Event Postponed...
emfleek
9/10/08 2:01:41PM
The Oct. 11 Affliction event scheduled for the Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas has been postponed, Keith Kizer of the Nevada State Athletic Commission confirmed to Sherdog.com on Wednesday.

LINK
grappler0000
9/10/08 2:15:27PM
I'm not sure what to make of this.
cowcatcher
9/10/08 2:17:40PM
my guess is that this is the beginning of the end for affliction. if that is the case its really too bad because although they didnt have a huge roster of guys there, there was some major talent, and there were a lot of extremely intriguing matchups they could have made. im hoping for the best at this point, but i expect the worst.
nickcuc547
9/10/08 2:26:04PM
lets hope the ufc picks up all of their talent, buy them out just like pride and the wfa
DCRage
9/10/08 2:37:24PM
Not mentioned in the first post but in the article is that they're moving it to January in Anaheim. It'll have to be early or mid-January to avoid football & UFC conflicts.
loller90278
9/10/08 2:57:16PM
oh dear, and i was going to buy my tickets today!
Jshep714
9/10/08 2:59:14PM
My guess is that they are out of money.
emfleek
9/10/08 3:01:16PM

Posted by Jshep714

Fewer events in a year = less money lost in a year.
McBee
9/10/08 3:02:32PM
Dana is never wrong
Wolfenstein
9/10/08 3:03:28PM
I'd read a few articles that Affliction was having a really difficult time getting radio shows in Vegas to air their advertisments. Basically it's the UFC's backyard and they're bullying advertisers, with the threat that they'll miss out on big deals with the UFC if they advertise for Affliction.

In light of that it was inevitable that Affliction would have to back out and change venues.
slappywhite
9/10/08 3:07:11PM
very interesting that they are leaving Las Vegas
whardin19
9/10/08 3:15:59PM
Yeah, I could see them having a hard time advertising in the UFC's backyard. I could see some blackballing from the media. Probably better off to have it somewhere else. But, to move it back that far. I'm not sure about that.
PaleHorse
9/10/08 3:22:58PM
And so it begins... Affliction is gonna
PaleHorse
9/10/08 3:24:56PM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by Jshep714

Fewer events in a year = less money lost in a year.

I'm just wondering how Kimbo is 9-0? What would you call the Gannon fight?
emfleek
9/10/08 3:32:26PM

Posted by PaleHorse

I'm just wondering how Kimbo is 9-0? What would you call the Gannon fight?

LMAO

The Gannon fight? A non-sanctioned street fight.

However...the avatar is a joke. I lost an avatar bet on the Chuck/Rashad fight and gsquat's avatar of choice what I have to sport around until the end of the month.
Darnok
9/10/08 3:36:14PM
Wasn't there some comment that the UFC was suing Affliction and it had something to do with them being in Vegas
tooly236
9/10/08 3:44:06PM
If we don't want MMA to follow boxing and all the politics bullshit, we should hope for one elite organization. I know competition is good for buisness, but look at the NFL. It's nice to have all the best players under one roof. No paper champions.
Darnok
9/10/08 4:33:28PM

Posted by tooly236

If we don't want MMA to follow boxing and all the politics bullshit, we should hope for one elite organization. I know competition is good for buisness, but look at the NFL. It's nice to have all the best players under one roof. No paper champions.

I agree, but be careful saying that around here too loud you will probably get flamed by all of the UFC haters.
Jackelope
9/10/08 5:01:46PM
Don't tell me Barnett vs. Fedor is another pipe dream gone down the drain!

I hope affliction recovers from all this and that it's not a sign of things to come. Then again, I know affliction t-shirt sales have gone down since they acquired the well deserved reputation of being worn by douchebags.
ncordless
9/10/08 5:15:50PM

Posted by Jackelope

Don't tell me Barnett vs. Fedor is another pipe dream gone down the drain!

I hope affliction recovers from all this and that it's not a sign of things to come. Then again, I know affliction t-shirt sales have gone down since they acquired the well deserved reputation of being worn by douchebags.

Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
DCRage
9/10/08 5:38:43PM
Since it appears this hasn't been mentioned yet, Tom Atencio (Affliction VP) told Weekly a bit earlier that the new date for the event is January 17 in Anaheim, CA. The main factor in the change seems to be either "weak" or "abysmal" ticket sales depending on who you ask. A related announcement has been promised for during a big boxing event in Vegas this weekend.
Jesse_Canadian_MMA
9/10/08 7:20:01PM
why does every MMA organization fail except the UFC
personally I wasn't big on Affliction alot of UFC cast offs, Oh well!!!
Mchubb316
9/10/08 8:07:05PM
This is not good for Affliction. Dana is smiling right now.
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
CantAndleDaRiddum
9/10/08 8:09:40PM
damn
SpiderSilva
9/10/08 8:39:35PM
Maybe they are gonna steal Fedor from the UFC trying to put Fedor in a Jan show or around that month? ? ? just a thought

Side note: Kimbo never lost that fight Gannon cheated by taking the fight down so it was a DQ win for Kimbo yeah thats right a DQ that sounds good
prozacnation1978
9/10/08 8:39:41PM
this might be bad news for them
SpiderSilva
9/10/08 9:39:07PM

Posted by SpiderSilva

Maybe they are gonna steal Fedor from the UFC trying to put Fedor in a Jan show or around that month? ? ? just a thought

Side note: Kimbo never lost that fight Gannon cheated by taking the fight down so it was a DQ win for Kimbo yeah thats right a DQ that sounds good

See I told ya

http://mmajunkie.com/news/5262/fedor-emelianenko-to-be-featured-on-re-scheduled-affliction-card.mma
Kracker_Jap
9/11/08 2:02:44AM
Maybe they will fold and then Fedor will sign with the next greatest promotion again