Affliction no longer interested in Andrei Arlovski

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Affliction no longer interested in Andrei Arlovski
MMAcca
6/23/09 1:30:26AM
The former UFC heavyweight champion was contracted to fight three fights for Affliction. The first of which was his mugging of Ben Rothwell; the second, the disappointing knockout loss at the hands of Fedor Emelianenko; and the third and final bout in his agreement with Affliction was his recent loaning out to Strikeforce where he was overwhelmed by Rogers in lightning quick fashion.

“His contract has expired and right now we have so many fighters under contract that we are just concentrating on working with them,” said Affliction VP Tom Atencio.

LINK
Twenty20Dollars
6/23/09 2:08:48AM
Ouch tough break for Andrei. Seemed like he was getting back to dominating before losing to Fedor and Rogers.

Oh well, there are other places for him to fight.
lohmann
6/23/09 2:31:49AM
Good move for Affliction. Maybe Atencio and company are starting to understand how to construct a good business model. Arlovski is one of the better heavyweights Affliction could have, but the price he would ask for as a main draw would exceed the money he should be getting paid as a solid mid-card fighter. Besides, Arlovski really has nothing left to do in Affliction now that he's lost to the WAMMA champion; it seems that Affliction don't really have a use for heavyweight fighters after they lose to Emelianenko. Maybe he should sign up with DREAM, Sengoku, or Strikeforce and look for some wins before trying to get back into the mix at the top. Can get five or six quality fighters for what Arlovski was making.
mshalosky
6/23/09 4:50:08AM
I say go to dream and fight cro cop
RNC
6/23/09 7:32:57AM
The UFC should sign Arlovski for a decent price and then let him work his way back up the ladder. Throw in a back to back losses and you're done clause and they're all set.
SmileR
6/23/09 8:03:44AM
Bad news for Arlovski but I can't say I'm surprised. For the money he was getting he needs to promise exciting victories over guys like Rogers on a weeks notice no question.
I think this is a bad move by Affliction though, their HW devision which was the flag ship devision has just took a blow with Timmy losing to a 50 year old and after Fedor beats Barnett who are they going to throw at him?

From all I can remember they've got Bluntello, Big Country has gone to the UFC and Rothwell has no business being anywhere near Fedor. I suppose they could bring in Rogers or Overeem but again both have done very little at HW and don't deserve to be fighting the champ.

Looks like their flag shop devision could be heading for a crash.
I'd have offered Arlovski a much smaller contract, maybe with win bonuses or some other intensive to drive him to preform.
xdanish020
6/23/09 9:44:31AM
They can't afford him
prozacnation1978
6/23/09 10:22:04AM
he will land in the ufc
andre still is a draw and fan favorite
but ufc has upper hand now will pay him much less
sparky
6/23/09 10:50:51AM
Arlovski is still a monster hope he makes his way back to the UFC thats where he belongs anyways!!!!
artofdefense
6/23/09 12:53:46PM

Posted by sparky

Arlovski is still a monster hope he makes his way back to the UFC thats where he belongs anyways!!!!

I didn't realize guys who lose to cans belong in the UFC. The UFC is for the best fighters in the world, and Arlovski doesn't seem to be one of those any longer. Hopefully he proves me wrong.
Giant_Ochai
6/23/09 1:49:39PM

Posted by artofdefense

Posted by sparky

I didn't realize guys who lose to cans belong in the UFC. The UFC is for the best fighters in the world, and Arlovski doesn't seem to be one of those any longer. Hopefully he proves me wrong.

You just called Brett Rogers a can and I hope you are banned for fighter bashing.
taporsnap25
6/23/09 2:55:09PM
did you also just call Fedor a can?

Would also like to add that the ufc isn't necessarily for the best fighters in the world, look at the heavyweight division.
telnights
6/23/09 3:58:46PM

Posted by MMAcca
“His contract has expired and right now we have so many fighters under contract that we are just concentrating on working with them,” said Affliction VP Tom Atencio.

I don't disagree with the fact of cutting AA at his current pay but Atencio is making it sound like they have a ton of fighters under contract which isn't the case at all. Cutting your most marketable fighter seams a little crazy to me but I can understand that he is making a lot more than he is worth. Affliction cant afford AA at his asking price because of his two losses but still they have very few fighters as is and letting one of your biggest draw go seams little off base. My guess is they are hurting for money due to over paying a large number of their fighters and having poor PPV or ticket sales. Cutting one of your highest payed fighters cuts your losses down but same time it hurts your over all sales. I think this is sign of things to come from Affliction and really feel their days are numbered.
xburbx
6/23/09 4:06:52PM
Makes sense now that UFC doesnt "lend fighters". Think about how much Affliction risked and lost letting Sylvia and Arlovski step in the ring outside of their organization. Not to mention the 1 fighter that carries their organization (Fedor) has now had his number status tainted big time. His last two fights are a joke now considering who Arlovski and Sylvia lost to. What a stupid risk Affliction took. Nice call Attencio - stick to fighting because you're not a CEO
artofdefense
6/23/09 4:39:25PM

Posted by Giant_Ochai

Posted by artofdefense

Posted by sparky

You just called Brett Rogers a can and I hope you are banned for fighter bashing.

You're awful high and mighty for someone with 30 posts. But perhaps I should be more clear: Arlovski, who was considered an A level fighter coming out of the 2 A level orgs (as far as the heavyweights go) shouldn't lose to a B level fighter fighting in a B level org.

Calling someone a can is not fighter bashing, it is an assesment of their skills. I didn't call him a slur or anything like that.
artofdefense
6/23/09 4:42:05PM

Posted by taporsnap25

did you also just call Fedor a can?

Would also like to add that the ufc isn't necessarily for the best fighters in the world, look at the heavyweight division.

1. No. Don't rile up the Fedor huggers please, I haven't the energy. Fedor is the best HW in the world. Rogers.... not so much.

2. Besides Overeem (which is debatable) Fedor, and Barnett, name one top level heavyweight outside of the UFC. Top level RIGHT NOW, not 5 years ago, btw.
taporsnap25
6/23/09 5:32:55PM
1. you called Fedor a can, I didn't

2. the fact that you have to exclude two of the top hw's proves my point. plus arlovski would do fine in the ufc again, at least a gatekeeper.
whardin19
6/23/09 5:58:29PM
This all but seals him going back to the UFC. They would be silly not to resign him for a reasonable price.

My thing is Affliction really not intrested in Arlovski or are they not intrested in him at the price they were paying him. Because I don't see any company not wanting a draw like Arlovski for the right price.
RearNakedJoke
6/24/09 7:11:38AM
they dont even know if they will have a show after trilogy. why sign AA to a new contract when he cant fight on the trilogy card?

arlovski is one of my favorites so i hate to say it but i dont think the ufc is the place for him right now. i really think he needs some time off to let his head recuperate.
artofdefense
6/24/09 10:17:58AM

Posted by taporsnap25

1. you called Fedor a can, I didn't

2. the fact that you have to exclude two of the top hw's proves my point. plus arlovski would do fine in the ufc again, at least a gatekeeper.

1. Ok troll. I didn't say that, but troll it up some more.

2. Really? 2 fighters makes an entire division?

He'd be a low level gatekeeper, and his price tag is far too high to take him for that.