Affliction, Fedor Prove MMA is Bigger Than UFC

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Affliction, Fedor Prove MMA is Bigger Than UFC
ncordless
7/22/08 8:46:59AM
There’s much to be said for selling out. For Affliction, it happens to be a good thing.

The clothing company turned mixed martial arts promoter packed the Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif., on Saturday. Nearly 14,000 fans were treated to highlight reel moments of Dominique Wilkins proportions throughout the night. But it wasn’t all fashionable fun in the organization’s inaugural show.

From the try-hard red carpet that ushered VIPs in and out of the arena to the distracting, unnecessary smoke machines that went on through most of the event, Affliction’s presentation had enough plot holes to compete with the latest batch of summer blockbusters...

sherdog.com
Branwest
7/22/08 9:27:47AM
The event didn't need a band, Megadeth or whomever, to play. People were there to see the fighters. The fights were great, and I hope the event planners learn from some of their mistakes. I believe they will since it was only their first event. Hopefully it'll grow, but they need some more fighters from other weightclasses besides a bunch of heavyweights and a couple of middleweights.
Fedor is awesome. I was worried that he might be a little rusty, be he looks just as good as ever, if not better. I still want to see Fedor and Couture though. Fedor has the OBVIOUS edge, but you can never completely rule Couture out. He sometimes manages to shock us all.
Darnok
7/22/08 10:37:55AM
Wow I have never heard a writer who was so firmly attached to someones nuts as this. He must be a paid employee of Affliction.

That said the fights were good but the production was crap.
Kracker_Jap
7/22/08 10:44:07AM
In my opinion the writers over at sherdog are very against every thing UFC and would love to be let back into the UFC press conferences.....

I don't think that any either Dana, Zuffa or the hard core fans of the UFC have ever said that they believe that they are bigger than MMA, they might have sad that they are the biggest strongest org in MMA and will be there for along time

UFC is MMA and the MMA community should be a little thankful that a real promoter has emerged in the United States the understands that MMA is a sport and you do not need go-go dancers, smoke machines, Laser shows, rock or rap groups to make your audience watch

The Affliction fighters were great Fedor was great, but Affliction promotion by itself was horrible at best.....

That doesn't mean they won't get better but, as I said the show was nothing with out the fighters

My rant is more against Sherdog and there bending of the truth and bias reporting....
PaleHorse
7/22/08 1:02:22PM

Posted by Kracker_Jap

In my opinion the writers over at sherdog are very against every thing UFC and would love to be let back into the UFC press conferences.....

I don't think that any either Dana, Zuffa or the hard core fans of the UFC have ever said that they believe that they are bigger than MMA, they might have sad that they are the biggest strongest org in MMA and will be there for along time

UFC is MMA and the MMA community should be a little thankful that a real promoter has emerged in the United States the understands that MMA is a sport and you do not need go-go dancers, smoke machines, Laser shows, rock or rap groups to make your audience watch

The Affliction fighters were great Fedor was great, but Affliction promotion by itself was horrible at best.....

That doesn't mean they won't get better but, as I said the show was nothing with out the fighters

My rant is more against Sherdog and there bending of the truth and bias reporting....

For one thing, Megadeth kicks ass, I think it was awesome that they had something going on in between fights as cool as Megadeth playing. Also, Dana White does believe that the UFC is MMA, he's said in the past that he believes that the UFC is like Kleenex, Band-Aid, or Coke when it comes to things, someone could say MMA and a lot of people would look stupid trying to figure out what you're talking about, but most of the time when you say UFC, they know exactly what you're talking about.

I just hope that fighters in the future do the right thing and move to a WAMMA sanctioned organization. While the UFC is the spotlight to launch your career, after that somewhere WAMMA sanctioned would be the place to go. I think that Anderson Silva, BJ Penn, and Urijah Faber specifically need to move out because they've pretty much wiped most of the competition out, and for the most part, the competition that is left is in other organizations. Can you imagine Anderon Silva vs. Jacare, Dennis Kang, and Robbie Lawler or BJ Penn vs Shinya Aoki, Nick Diaz, etc, and Urijah Faber pretty much only has Kid Yamamoto but none of these fights are going to happen under Zuffa, and that RUINS the rankings completely when the world's best fighters are scattered.

While the UFC may have been the birth of mainstream MMA it may very well be the death of the world's greatest fighter because thanks to their policies, you hardly ever see one top ten against another. Essentially I think that to the more mature fighters they're going to get a jumpstart in the UFC and head somewhere else after that like DREAM, Affliction, EliteXC, or a WAMMA certified organization. I personally hope that Anderson Silva makes an example for everyone else because I firmly believe he is leaving the UFC when his contract is up in '09 to fight Roy Jones, and I hope with that we see him fight whoever is left.
telnights
7/22/08 1:28:30PM
Another biased story coming from sherdog.com no way. I'm shocked cant you tell.
MMAcca
7/22/08 2:19:17PM

Posted by PaleHorse
I just hope that fighters in the future do the right thing and move to a WAMMA sanctioned organization. While the UFC is the spotlight to launch your career, after that somewhere WAMMA sanctioned would be the place to go. I think that Anderson Silva, BJ Penn, and Urijah Faber specifically need to move out because they've pretty much wiped most of the competition out, and for the most part, the competition that is left is in other organizations. Can you imagine Anderon Silva vs. Jacare, Dennis Kang, and Robbie Lawler or BJ Penn vs Shinya Aoki, Nick Diaz, etc, and Urijah Faber pretty much only has Kid Yamamoto but none of these fights are going to happen under Zuffa, and that RUINS the rankings completely when the world's best fighters are scattered.

While the UFC may have been the birth of mainstream MMA it may very well be the death of the world's greatest fighter because thanks to their policies, you hardly ever see one top ten against another.

I notice how you didn't mention the LHW or WW divisions in your little ''i hate Dana, the UFC and everyone involved with that org'' speach

I bet you're one of Sherdog's biggest fans......

PS. WAMMA is a joke now and will be for a long time.
PaleHorse
7/22/08 4:05:31PM

Posted by MMAcca

Posted by PaleHorse

While the UFC may have been the birth of mainstream MMA it may very well be the death of the world's greatest fighter because thanks to their policies, you hardly ever see one top ten against another.

I notice how you didn't mention the LHW or WW divisions in your little ''i hate Dana, the UFC and everyone involved with that org'' speach

I bet you're one of Sherdog's biggest fans......

PS. WAMMA is a joke now and will be for a long time.

I'm not a "fan" in any way,

The UFC has no dominant fighter in the WW or LHW division, they have quite a few. If one were to emerge, it would make sense to go to a WAMMA organization. If you think its a joke then you're part of the issue and MMA will make very little progress and there never will be a real world champion, just a bunch of name brands boasting that they have the best but never putting them against each other. I like Dana White, I just think that him and the UFC have gone the wrong way about doing things and I like any fan should, want to know who the best guy in each division is, not hear it from Dana White but see it happen. Also if you haven't noticed, the LHW division was the one division that the UFC did something right with when PRIDE was shut down, and they have the majority of the top 10, but the point was that no one person has been 100% dominant in the LHW and WW divisions. Don't try and say GSP because while he may have dominated some of the division, he hasn't been up against hardly any of the top rated welterweights out there today.
MMA
7/22/08 5:39:43PM

Posted by PaleHorse

The UFC has no dominant fighter in the WW or LHW division, they have quite a few. If one were to emerge, it would make sense to go to a WAMMA organization. If you think its a joke then you're part of the issue and MMA will make very little progress and there never will be a real world champion, just a bunch of name brands boasting that they have the best but never putting them against each other. I like Dana White, I just think that him and the UFC have gone the wrong way about doing things and I like any fan should, want to know who the best guy in each division is, not hear it from Dana White but see it happen. Also if you haven't noticed, the LHW division was the one division that the UFC did something right with when PRIDE was shut down, and they have the majority of the top 10, but the point was that no one person has been 100% dominant in the LHW and WW divisions. Don't try and say GSP because while he may have dominated some of the division, he hasn't been up against hardly any of the top rated welterweights out there today.

I am still a bit confused on what you are trying to say about the UFC's light heavyweight and welterweight division. You think UFC is killing MMA because there is not an Anderson Silva/Fedor in their light heavyweight and welterweight division?

And what is this about GSP not fighting any to welterweights? The dude has pretty much made his entire career beating top welterweights. He may not be Anderson Silva/Fedor dominant, but he's pretty damn close.

I'm really tired so I might be getting your msg, but what the hell are you unhappy about? That the UFC restricts their fighters so we cannot get to see some of the matches that we want? If so, why do you keep talking about that light heavyweight and welterweight stuff? If there are more talented light heavyweights and welterweights outside of the UFC, please name them.
lordicast
7/22/08 6:31:18PM

Posted by MMA

Posted by PaleHorse

I am still a bit confused on what you are trying to say about the UFC's light heavyweight and welterweight division. You think UFC is killing MMA because there is not an Anderson Silva/Fedor in their light heavyweight and welterweight division?

And what is this about GSP not fighting any to welterweights? The dude has pretty much made his entire career beating top welterweights. He may not be Anderson Silva/Fedor dominant, but he's pretty damn close.

I'm really tired so I might be getting your msg, but what the hell are you unhappy about? That the UFC restricts their fighters so we cannot get to see some of the matches that we want? If so, why do you keep talking about that light heavyweight and welterweight stuff? If there are more talented light heavyweights and welterweights outside of the UFC, please name them.

I dont know where to go on this arument! for one i hate when MMA org go at each other when the real enemy is boxing! they make way more then any top mma fighter this is the real crime. I like Dana i met him a couple of times and he's real(and YES i got him to say Boxing is DEAD .) The only real knock on him is that he doesnt Co-Promote. Im sure he thinks that it will slow him down, he wont make as much money & there is a possiblity UFC might lose 1 or 2. But in reality if Fedor dismantles Nog its not going to make me stop watching you UFC or think NOG is a paper champion he will still be the UFC champion and i will still respect him. But lately Dana has been going after competition instead of helping them and making the sport grow which sucks but hey its a buisness!. and as far as Affliction getting Megadeath to play people need to understand its a entertainment show i wouldnt mind some music between fights but they need to cut it down to like 3 songs.

RANT OVER
soundboy1
7/22/08 7:49:05PM

:

Dana White needs to learn that lesson. He better start paying his guys quick because his magic carpet ride won't last forever.

Oh and the only reason they had megadeth was to assure the fact of a packed house. That stage took out around 4-5000 seats. Megadeth was added in the last two weeks so you do the math. But man people on this site sure are UFC crazy its called MMA not UFC.......
Kracker_Jap
7/22/08 7:58:26PM

Posted by soundboy1

:

Dana White needs to learn that lesson. He better start paying his guys quick because his magic carpet ride won't last forever.

Oh and the only reason they had megadeth was to assure the fact of a packed house. That stage took out around 4-5000 seats. Megadeth was added in the last two weeks so you do the math. But man people on this site sure are UFC crazy its called MMA not UFC.......

Its not that we are UFC crazy we are real MMA fans that give credit were it is due

Most of the post on this thread are against the writer of the article from Sherdog that IMO was totally Bias

Welcome to the real MMA fans website........... MMAPLAYGROUND > sherdog