Affliction event details

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Affliction event details
babytater03
4/25/08 2:55:55PM
SOURCE .

More details are emerging on Affliction's first promotional effort which is set for July 17 in Dallas are beginning to emerge. So far the only "announced" fights for the event are Tim Sylvia v. Fedor Emelianenko and Matt Lindland v. TBA.

Sylvia's payday is listed...you gotta see this.
krthll1
4/25/08 3:03:51PM
$800,000 dollars is a bit much to me. When I think of fighters worth $800,000 big tim isn't the first fighter that comes to mind. However you know if they want to give you all that money, I can't say no. Plus how much is Fedor making for this fight then?
Jackelope
4/25/08 3:12:29PM
This is the most exciting thing happening this year so far.
mikevolz
4/25/08 3:13:06PM
no wonder he left the ufc. id fight fedor for half that. hell, id fight him for even a measily 50 grand.
gsquat
4/25/08 3:13:21PM
Wow... Well, I guess thats at least how much I'd ask for to get beat up by Fedor.
slappywhite
4/25/08 3:33:31PM
another promotion thats gonna be in the red
grappler0000
4/25/08 3:36:21PM
For the fighters, I say take what you can get...but this is a bad move for Affliction, as they could have got Tim for half that or even less. Once you pay your fighters this much money, they will expect it the next time around...and I don't think they can afford to pay several high salaries right off the bat. They will need immediate success in order to make it financially...and I've yet to see a promotion have immediate success. The UFC doesn't pay that much out per event and they already have the strong following to bring in the bucks. Well, at this rate, we'll be seeing them join the IFL by next year.
Darnok
4/25/08 3:46:55PM
Another bites the dust
juanez13
4/25/08 3:48:43PM

Posted by Darnok

Another bites the dust

you'd think they learn their lesson after over paying Fedor....
fedorwins1
4/25/08 3:49:48PM

Posted by Darnok

Another bites the dust

That's what I'm thinking, I don't see Affliction being able to keep paying this amount of money for their fighters. Imagine how much Fedor is going to make for this fight. Plus Matt Lindland is going to make some $$$ also.
GlancyMMA
4/25/08 3:50:43PM
Come on... 5-6 million for the fight roster alone.... How much money does Cuban have to dump into this thing??

At least we know he can afford to run it at a loss for an extended period of time...

grappler0000
4/25/08 3:53:02PM

Posted by juanez13

Posted by Darnok

Another bites the dust

you'd think they learn their lesson after over paying Fedor....

Since they're new to the game, maybe it was Fedor's salary demands that screwed up their line of thinking. If Fedor gets 2mil, then other top 10 fightsers should get at least 500k, right? You've got people accustomed to doing business in boxing, so maybe they think Tim's salary is a steal.
jae_1833
4/25/08 5:29:44PM
True....then they realize how many less tickets they are going to sell...then the lack of PPVs and lastly the fact that all these companies are hard for the average fight fan to keep track of, much less watch. Look if it's not on some sort of commercial....i.e. television....no body's going to see this except the few of us with the G-2 to download some shit or to watch it on some exclusive fight channel through satellites and HD networks. Then your up the creek and I get a free fight. I think some of these guys need to go back to college or re-think how they run their businesses. You can only be in the red so long before you'll be gone!
jgtribbett
4/25/08 7:06:34PM

Posted by krthll1

$800,000 dollars is a bit much to me. When I think of fighters worth $800,000 big tim isn't the first fighter that comes to mind. However you know if they want to give you all that money, I can't say no. Plus how much is Fedor making for this fight then?

this is a big step for mma.. fighters getting payed well.. but why big tim..and are they gonna crash like everyone else is on the way to doing?
6 mil? jesus

oh and cuban probably owns the US hahaha.. jk
Sir_Karl
4/25/08 9:06:15PM
I have no issues with the fighter salaries.
Mike Tyson was getting paid something like $60 million a fight back in the late 80s (correct me if I am wrong please)....so 5 or 6 million for a whole MMA card with a few stars is cool....but they can't afford it.
The UFC is the only promotion that could afford those numbers.
I don't know if this event is going to be on PPV...but without PPV dollars they are doomed for sure.
It would be a shame too...for an organization to put together Sylvia vs. Fedor...then go bust.
I hope Sylvia turns the MMA world upside down...I hope he KOs Fedor.
MMAcca
4/26/08 1:42:45AM
So the pay is up to about $2million already and only 3 fighters are rumoured!!????!!!

I don't need Albert Einstein to tell me this aint happening......
prozacnation1978
4/26/08 8:38:03AM
can you say first and last promotion?? they will go broke, and disband, i hope they know what they are doing,
oleg
4/26/08 3:45:04PM

Sources tell MMAPayout.com that the total bankroll for the event may approach $5-6 million.

Ouch, they are going to lose their ass! With the ticket revenue of say 2 mil (if they're lucky), is this going to be on PPV? If it is, how many buys will it get? If not, who is paying for it?
cmill21
4/26/08 5:02:52PM

Posted by oleg

Sources tell MMAPayout.com that the total bankroll for the event may approach $5-6 million.

Ouch, they are going to lose their ass! With the ticket revenue of say 2 mil (if they're lucky), is this going to be on PPV? If it is, how many buys will it get? If not, who is paying for it?

If it's not the UFC it's on HDnet. Lol i'm buying into their advertising. It will be on HDNet, and Cuban's not afraid to take some hit to get what he wants accomplished. He's acctually doing very very well, he's bringing Dream into the US market which could be very prosperous once people see just what it is, and he's also going to be bringing people Fedor, and even though Dana bashes Fedor it makes people curious, everyone that I watch the UFC's with asks me for Fedor's Pride dvd's because they want to know just who dana's talking about. 5-6 million is going to be a small price for what they accomplish with this event IMHO. Anyone notice the UFC has been putting on some top notch cards lately? Wonder why that is.
oleg
4/27/08 2:10:02PM
If this card turns out as rumored it would be a waste to put it on HDnet where it will be watched by about as many people as a rerun of WEC "Wreckage"...

I don't get Cuban's business model here if he is indeed paying for this event - take losses of over $5 mil per event in hopes that the average MMA fan is going to subscribe to HDnet to see it? Very long shot.
ICSlegend
4/27/08 4:28:41PM
Cuban's a billionaire...he's got to do some tax write-offs somewhere, why not give the UFC some comp and give MMA fans what they want to see while he's at it.
oleg
4/27/08 5:30:59PM
Yeah but if it's only on HDNet most fans will not get to see it. I remember a couple of months ago there was a poll on Sherdog and something like 62% of voters did not even have the channel...

I just don't think Cuban has the fans or the sport best interest in mind, he just wants to promote HDnet and sees MMA as a hot ticket.